Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 06:54 AM

49 posts, read 91,803 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide what school district we will move into when we move to Charlotte, and Providence High School of course is very highly rated. Reading the Great Schools website, there are a ton of negative reviews from parents about how the school is TOO rigorous.

Providence High School parent reviews

" if your child is naturally a high academic performer you should be OK, the administration caters to these students. In fact they rely on them to pad their performance reviews. However if your child is an average student looking for a nurturing environment or you are looking for a 'family' oriented experience, this is not the place for you."

" I transferred in my sophomore year and was in the top 10% of my old school. Once I got here I was struggling to maintain B's in my classes. The school only teaches you how to take scantron tests and write and produce a "senior graduation project." Their high "test scores" just come from their training you how to memorize information for a test not understand it or use it. Kids here are the worst and are not friendly at all!"

"The place is straight out of "The Hunger Games." The teachers encourage a cutthroat atmosphere from day one. Students are left to sink or swim in the academic environment with little aid from the staff. Those who are at the top of their class become the "chosen ones" and everyone else is cast away."

"The teachers are awful and do not care about student sucess. THe administators are even worse! The only reason I am giving it one star is beacause I can not give it ZERO!!! They only care about you if you are the top 25 in your class otherwise they consider you dumb."

"I have had children in this school for 6 years. I am so saddened by the culture in this school - which seems designed to take our best and brightest and "wring them out." It is almost as if some of the teachers don't want the students to succeed - they enjoy discouraging and belittling the students"

Many more are just like this.

Now, of course, you will always find some disgruntled people. That is inevitable. But if you read about the same trend over and over, there might be something to it. Looking around at the reviews of some other schools in that immediate area, there are some negative reviews, but they are much less numerous. So are those people reviewing the school bitter for whatever reason, or do they maybe have a point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 09:46 AM

958 posts, read 1,724,534 times
It's a demanding school. Remember, haters are going to spend more time hating than someone who had a good time at Providence.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:38 PM

533 posts, read 936,307 times
"However if your child is an average student looking for a nurturing environment or you are looking for a 'family' oriented experience, this is not the place for you."

Providence aside, I do not think any char meck schools cater to that? lol

Old 05-15-2014, 03:03 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,163,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoore8 View Post
... negative reviews from parents about how the school is TOO rigorous....
I don't get it how "too rigorous" is a bad thing when it comes to schools...I just don't...

Old 05-15-2014, 03:27 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,447 times
Sounds allot like they are preparing kids for the harsh reality of college and the real world.

My high school was what some would call nurturing or family oriented environment. Boy did I get a wake-up call when I walked into a college classroom at a major university and now look back on the college years as the easy times.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:35 PM

309 posts, read 766,022 times
I teach at another CMS school and have had students who came from Providence. Yes, it's reputation is in the top 5 in CMS, mostly because the student/family demographics include high-achieving students who have families that support their academic success.

That said, my students who spent time there were unhappy for the reason many of the parents noted -- if you aren't a high-achieving student who can do work on your own, or if you struggle, you will probably have a difficult time. One particular student said teachers were not very helpful if you didn't understand the material.

As always with CMS, beware of boundary lines for schools because they can be shifted at any time.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2014, 11:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,183,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Sounds allot like they are preparing kids for the harsh reality of college and the real world.

My high school was what some would call nurturing or family oriented environment. Boy did I get a wake-up call when I walked into a college classroom at a major university and now look back on the college years as the easy times.
And spelling wasn't a priority.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,128 times
I recommend not choosing Providence. It is true the school only cares about its ratings and its the only thing the principle talks about in regards to how much of a "great school" it is. The students hate the harshly enforced dress code "no showing shoulders" is an example. They say they are preparing you for college but with the unrealistic expectations the teachers have for their students your children most likely won't get into the college of their dreams because of how harshly providence grades. They only teach to the test so they can brag about how great of a school they are while avoiding HUGE problems in the school such as drugs and the overall negative feedback from the students and their parents. I personally go to providence but if you are looking in the area i recommend Audrey Kell High School. The test grades are slightly lower but the overall student satisfaction is way higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte