Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 02:06 AM

369 posts, read 374,711 times

Advertisements

I saw somewhere that Charlotte was ranked as one of the top 10 cities for African Americans and I really would just like to know... is there a nice sized black population in Charlotte and not only that but... how are race relations in general in Charlotte. Make no mistake, I can get along with anybody that is a decent person, but I would like to know about the black community in particular. Are there opportunities for advancement, is there a lot of poverty in the black communities there, is there a nice sized number of black profesionals that don't fit into any negative stereotypes, etc.

I hope this question doesn't offend anyone, but hey, at least it's honest.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:44 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
Quote:
Is there a nice sized black population in Charlotte?
Yes. From City- Data - Races in Charlotte:
White Non-Hispanic (55.1%)
Black (32.7%)
Hispanic (7.4%)
Other race (3.6%)
Two or more races (1.7%)
Asian Indian (0.9%)
Vietnamese (0.8%)
American Indian (0.7%)
Other Asian (0.7%)

Quote:
How are race relations in general in Charlotte?
Good. Do a search in this forum and you will find many posts on this subject.

Quote:
Are there opportunities for advancement?
Yes.

Quote:
Is there a lot of poverty in the black communities there?
There are some pockets of poorer communities but black does not automatically equal poverty here.

Quote:
Is there a nice sized number of black profesionals that don't fit into any negative stereotypes, etc.
Absolutely!

Old 12-12-2007, 04:59 AM

273 posts, read 1,338,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lucas View Post
Are there opportunities for advancement, is there a lot of poverty in the black communities there, is there a nice sized number of black profesionals that don't fit into any negative stereotypes, etc.

I hope this question doesn't offend anyone, but hey, at least it's honest.
I live in a middle-ground area and see tons of black professionals. Many driving bmw's, mercedes, lexuses, etc, dressed nicely with their families. I work at LPL financial and I'd say at least 40% of my floor alone is Black professionals. Our xmas party was fun b/c people were actually dancing

Old 12-12-2007, 08:53 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times
Charlotte has a nice mix of Black/White population and for the most part everyone gets along. Unfortunately there is racism (and not just black/white) everywhere and all we can do is pray for ignorant people. I think you will find a nice mix in Charlotte.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:11 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Charlotte is actually probably the most racially friendly city I've lived in, with maybe the exception of me briefly living in S. Florida. I've also lived in detroit and Buffalo.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:11 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
There are nice black communities around Charlotte. As far as race relations, everyone I know judges a person by his attitude, etc. If you are a nice person with a good attitude and do your part in society, you will be respected like anyone else. The race thing is secondary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte