Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:04 AM

58 posts, read 180,697 times

Advertisements

There has been some great info on this board that has helped me narrow my search.
I am leaning toward focusing on Matthews and SE Charlotte. What is the scoop on Matthews in terms of safety? Everything I look at seems to indicate it would be a nice area with apartment buildings that have coffee shops and grocery stores within walking distance. Any apartment buildings you would suggest there?

Any hotel suggestions in or near Matthews when I come down to check things out?

Last question...has anyone been to the Beantown Tavern? It looks like it would be a good place to go watch a Sox or Pats game.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 AM

185 posts, read 581,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecherif View Post
There has been some great info on this board that has helped me narrow my search.
I am leaning toward focusing on Matthews and SE Charlotte. What is the scoop on Matthews in terms of safety? Everything I look at seems to indicate it would be a nice area with apartment buildings that have coffee shops and grocery stores within walking distance. Any apartment buildings you would suggest there?

Any hotel suggestions in or near Matthews when I come down to check things out?

Last question...has anyone been to the Beantown Tavern? It looks like it would be a good place to go watch a Sox or Pats game.

Thanks in advance.
HI ! I love Matthews. You can check out Charlotte Courtyard Marriot . Right on 74 in Matthews. You must go to Beantown Tavern if you are a Sox or Pats fan. Owners are transplants from Boston. Food is average, but fans go for atmosphere. If you're a fan you will LOVE it!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:59 AM

also, at the moment I cant think of the name of the hotel in Matthews where Azteca Mexican Restaurant is . Thats an option for you also with in walking distance to some shops. There are two apt complexs right across the street from there also.(Windsor apts is the one I know)

(I have only had expierence with the Marriot I mentioned before.)

I know someone that lives in Windsor apts there. Its a little older complex but there are a few cops that live there and it always seems quiet .
Good luck to you! I hope this helps a lil bit.

Last edited by newtothis; 12-01-2007 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: My memory came back

Old 12-01-2007, 11:08 AM

264 posts, read 913,969 times
Traffic in Matthews is just terrible!! It took me half an hour to try to get through the downtown area last night around 6:30. I finally bailed out and gave up on my errand.

There is a really nice apartment complex near where I live, which is also near Matthews. Corner of Providence and McKee Rd. I think it is called Providence Court. Fantastic location for access to downtown or the 485 loop, and great shopping within a half mile.

If you want something that's walkable to a nice shopping center with Starbucks, Wolfgang Puck, Ann Taylor Loft, lots of boutiques and a wonderful grocery store, there are some apartments on Ballantyne Commons just behind this shopping center, which is called Promenade on providence or Providence Promenade. You could walk to the shopping center without having to cross any major roads. Lots of people sit outside the coffee shop or on the plaza which has a nice fountain. If I can find the name of the apartments I will post later.

Don't know if you have children but both of these complexes are within the range of the top rated elementary school in Charlotte (according to the latest scores.) Good luck!

Oh, and Beantown is a big hangout for Sox fans. I don't know much about it but I hear the food is not great and it can get pretty rowdy. But that might just be what you are looking for Both of these apartment complexes are within 4 or 5 miles of downtown Matthews and Beantown. If you were my sister or brother, I'd recommend them to you because the area is safe and you can't beat the location! Living in Matthews proper can be a real pain because of traffic.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:42 PM

The apartments I am thinking of are called Promenade Park. They share a parking lot with the Providence Promenade shopping center -- Starbucks, Carolina Cafe Bakery, Wolfgang Puck Express, lots of other chain and locally owned cafes and restaurants, Home Depot, Pier 1, Beauty Brands, Linens and Things, Stein Mart, CVS drugs, Lowes Foods -- pretty much anything you'd ever need and you just walk down a sidewalk to get there. Anyway hope this helps!

Old 12-01-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
The apartments I am thinking of are called Promenade Park. They share a parking lot with the Providence Promenade shopping center -- Starbucks, Carolina Cafe Bakery, Wolfgang Puck Express, lots of other chain and locally owned cafes and restaurants, Home Depot, Pier 1, Beauty Brands, Linens and Things, Stein Mart, CVS drugs, Lowes Foods -- pretty much anything you'd ever need and you just walk down a sidewalk to get there. Anyway hope this helps!
OHH! that area is very nice ... you forgot to mention Kirkland store( one of my favorites) and Arooji wine room is great also! But is that considered Matthews?

Old 12-01-2007, 01:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,302,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
OHH! that area is very nice ... you forgot to mention Kirkland store( one of my favorites) and Arooji wine room is great also! But is that considered Matthews?
No, that area is south Charlotte

Matthews old time town center is difficult to get thru during rush hour, but many other parts of Matthews are accessible without having to go thru downtown.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:12 PM

11 posts, read 62,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
also, at the moment I cant think of the name of the hotel in Matthews where Azteca Mexican Restaurant is . Thats an option for you also with in walking distance to some shops. There are two apt complexs right across the street from there also.(Windsor apts is the one I know)

(I have only had expierence with the Marriot I mentioned before.)

I know someone that lives in Windsor apts there. Its a little older complex but there are a few cops that live there and it always seems quiet .
Good luck to you! I hope this helps a lil bit.

That would be the Comfort Inn and while we're in the area if you like Mexican...Azteca Mexican Restaurant is good! As far as the traffic it's a matter of getting to know the side roads...of course all depending on where you have to go. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2007, 04:57 AM

385 posts, read 1,571,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
How far is Matthews from Uptown Charlotte (Tyrone St.)?

Old 12-02-2007, 07:28 AM

Matthews covers a pretty large area. I would say at its very northernmost edge you are probably 11 miles or so from downtown, Trade and Tryon. From the neighborhood I am talking about, it's 12 miles up Providence Rd.

In response to some of the other posters, yes, the exact area I am talking about is not technically in Matthews but is a couple of miles from the town border. The original poster asked about SE Charlotte too.

I like living in the Providence/Ballantyne Commons area partly because it gives me easy access to downtown Matthews as I often work there. I'm in and out of downtown Matthews every day.

I can't think of any apartments in the Matthews city limits that would give the original poster a way to walk to a coffee shop, etc. without crossing major roads. Maybe that Windsor Square area. Even though it is a newer area, the Providence Promenade offers walkability and sort of a town square atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte