Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:38 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times

Advertisements

I know you have 2 boys, but might renting a room out say with an older couple be an option for you? I don't know though how to begin looking for one like this. Perhaps others can jump in if you are willing to consider this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 10:41 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagrl31520 View Post
I work in Concord at Ross Dress for Less. I was hired as seasonal help along with a few other employees but I spoke with my manager and she said that she's going to keep me after the holidays so i'm expecting my hours to increase. I'm currently in the university area. I bring home about $300 or a little more every two weeks for right now. I hope this helps and I will answer any other questions necessary. Thanks and be blessed.
Honey, I would really like to help you, but I'm thinking you really need some professional guidance - you need a real plan of action and a time frame to accomplish it in. First of all, are your kids in a safe place with someone who is truly caring for them? If so, don't think about bringing them to be with you until you get yourself stablized. I'm thinking you should call United Way (just dial 211) and ask for an appt to see someone who can assist you in making a financial plan. You would be much better off living in a room to rent situation (much cheaper than an apartment) and attending CPCC (our community college) to get certified in a field that would allow you to make a living wage. $600. a month is not a living wage. If you bring your kids here while that is all you are able to provide to take care of them you will be putting them in a very difficult situation. The kind of housing you will find with your current income would put you in very unsafe locations - don't do that to your kids.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:42 AM

674 posts, read 804,528 times
I know you checked Concord, but you may want to try Charlotte's Housing Authority:
http://www.cha-nc.org/living/low_income.asp
http://www.cha-nc.org/living/s8_program.asp

Old 12-13-2007, 10:43 AM

674 posts, read 804,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Honey, I would really like to help you, but I'm thinking you really need some professional guidance - you need a real plan of action and a time frame to accomplish it in. First of all, are your kids in a safe place with someone who is truly caring for them? If so, don't think about bringing them to be with you until you get yourself stablized. I thinking you should call United Way (just dial 211) and ask for an appt to see someone who can assist you in making a financial plan. You would be much better off living in a room to rent situation (much cheaper than an apartment) and attending CPCC (our community college) to get certified in a field that would allow you to make a living wage. $600. a month is not a living wage. If you bring your kids here while that is all you are able to provide to take care of them you will be putting them in a very difficult situation.
Right on, as always. This is excellent advice.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:02 AM

18 posts, read 301,419 times
Quote:
Honey, I would really like to help you, but I'm thinking you really need some professional guidance - you need a real plan of action and a time frame to accomplish it in. First of all, are your kids in a safe place with someone who is truly caring for them? If so, don't think about bringing them to be with you until you get yourself stablized. I'm thinking you should call United Way (just dial 211) and ask for an appt to see someone who can assist you in making a financial plan. You would be much better off living in a room to rent situation (much cheaper than an apartment) and attending CPCC (our community college) to get certified in a field that would allow you to make a living wage. $600. a month is not a living wage. If you bring your kids here while that is all you are able to provide to take care of them you will be putting them in a very difficult situation. The kind of housing you will find with your current income would put you in very unsafe locations - don't do that to your kids.
I'm not planning on bringing my kids here until i'm stabilized. I will NOT and NEVER will put my kids in a situation like that. YES they are with my family back in Georgia and by the way I AM caring for them also while I am up here. They are well taking care of. I'm 33 soon to be 34 and see how some women and men put themselves before their kids and dont think about their well being and I'm NOT one of them. I didnt have any intentions on bringing them here until I was ready. I came up here without a job and got one because prayer changes things and God will help as long as I depend on Him. I will take your advice and call United Way and thanks for the advice because I did ask for it. Again, I NEVER thought about bringing my kids here while i'm not situated YET. Thanks everyone for their input and advice. God bless all of you.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I'm not planning on bringing my kids here until i'm stabilized. I will NOT and NEVER will put my kids in a situation like that. YES they are with my family back in Georgia and by the way I AM caring for them also while I am up here. They are well taking care of. I'm 33 soon to be 34 and see how some women and men put themselves before their kids and dont think about their well being and I'm NOT one of them. I didnt have any intentions on bringing them here until I was ready. I came up here without a job and got one because prayer changes things and God will help as long as I depend on Him. I will take your advice and call United Way and thanks for the advice because I did ask for it. Again, I NEVER thought about bringing my kids here while i'm not situated YET. Thanks everyone for their input and advice. God bless all of you.
Please don't be offended, I was not being critical! I just wanted to make sure you understood how bad things would be here for you at your current income level if you brought them here, okay? Your original post only said you wanted to bring them here, not when.

Now, what about the idea of attending community college for training and getting a career going? We have a great school here with all kinds of choices, you might be able to be done with getting a certificate in something in as little as six months!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:08 AM

Its excellent advice TRUE but not to a level headed woman who knows better not to do something that stupid. If I was going to do something like that I would have brought them with me in Sept. which I could have done but I LOVE MY KIDS TOO MUCH, to do that. I'm not trying to be harsh and I hope i didn't come off too harsh and I apologize if anyone took that way. I'm a very nice person and I do think before I do things. Thanks for the links nc.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Its excellent advice TRUE but not to a level headed woman who knows better not to do something that stupid. If I was going to do something like that I would have brought them with me in Sept. which I could have done but I LOVE MY KIDS TOO MUCH, to do that. I'm not trying to be harsh and I hope i didn't come off too harsh and I apologize if anyone took that way. I'm a very nice person and I do think before I do things. Thanks for the links nc.
Glad to know you are putting your kids interests first Can you get some child support from their father to help you on the financial end?

Old 12-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Also, you would be surprised how many people move here thinking rents are cheap and that lots of public assistence is available - it is a common misunderstanding. I was trying to help you see that in Charlotte you and/or anyone in your type situation would be putting themselves in very unsafe situations if you try to rent a place for so little an amount.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Please don't be offended, I was not being critical! I just wanted to make sure you understood how bad things would be here for you at your current income level if you brought them here, okay? Your original post only said you wanted to bring them here, not when.

Now, what about the idea of attending community college for training and getting a career going? We have a great school here with all kinds of choices, you might be able to be done with getting a certificate in something in as little as six months!
Sorry, maybe I shouldnt have type in all caps. Their is so much I want to accomplish in life for the sake of my kids and I. I do want to finish college. I did take some college courses at a community college where I'm from but I didn't finish (Business and Office Technology). Could you give me a list of the community colleges and I will check into it. That is one of my goals that I have set for myself. A job was the first thing on my list. It's not much but i'm going to look for a better one. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte