U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2007, 12:23 PM
 
2,998 posts, read 4,685,897 times
Reputation: 2106

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia1997 View Post
We are from Europe but living in California. We just got back from Charlotte. You should plan a trip there as well. The 1st impression is positive. It does not seem as international as CA but I expected that. I am not excited about the public schools. The local people were very nice and friendly.

I think the fact that there is so much more to do there in SD. Everyone says well were closed to mountains and beaches oh really. I was ten - twenty minutes from the beach and the downtown was alot more appealing to me any time of the day than charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2007, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,765,382 times
Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I think the fact that there is so much more to do there in SD. Everyone says well were closed to mountains and beaches oh really. I was ten - twenty minutes from the beach and the downtown was alot more appealing to me any time of the day than charlotte.
Really? Why then do you keep trying to sell houses here, under this screen name no less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,765,382 times
Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
We move here from San Diego and wish we would have stayed in SD.
So you are a realtor in Charlotte but you would not recommend anyone buy a house in Charlotte (based on other posts under this id).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Uptown CLT (4th Ward)
2,560 posts, read 7,708,366 times
Reputation: 423
I LOVE Charlotte but move from San Diego (on of my VERY favorite cities).

Except for the congestion & cost of living, San Diego is paradise!

Charlotte is great, so if you move here, ENJOY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2007, 07:32 PM
 
4,093 posts, read 10,149,475 times
Reputation: 1896
I have not read the responses yet, so my answer is coming strait from me.

Charlotte is NOT the place to get away from people keeping up with the Joneses! My word at the women at Harris Teeter on Saturday am with their hair and make up done just so along with their new Kate Spade bags!

I found CA to be much more "anything goes" than NC.

We do have a much larger house than we had in Pasadena, CA, but I am ready to go back. We have been here 3 years so far.

We don't find Charlotte slower paced either. I could easily fill my calendar daily. DH still commutes an hour each way and so did I here when I worked.

Please don't come thinking life is "so much better" on the other side of the US. I personally was a bit disappointed.

I am not trying to be negative, really. I just haven't ever felt that Charlotte was "home" to me and after almost 3 years, I think that indicates to me that this is not where we will stay too much longer.

YOU may love it here, just come with your eyes open and be aware that there are "issues" here just like anywhere. Although for me, the West Coast is always where I will call HOME!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffergray View Post
My husband and I are considering making a move from San Diego to Charlotte. We have 3 kids; 7 yrs, 3 yrs, and 7 mos. My son is currently attending a german language immersion IB school and we are looking to continue with that. I found Smith Academy online. Does anybody know about the quality of this school? I've read negative things about the CMS district, but positive things about this school. I've communicated with the school and found that there may be openings for an incoming 3rd grader (vs the lottery that Kindergarten must go through). Any other recommendations of language or IB schools, oh heck, all schools that are outstanding? Any info would be appreciated.

Also, what are good, meaning safe and family oriented communities near this school? We are willing to drive, but not looking for a grueling commute.

So many questions! I'm not sure what to expect from Charlotte. Our main reason for relocating is to jump out of the rat race and slow down a bit. We are down to earth people wanting to have a house with a yard to raise our kids, that we can afford! Time for family and friends instead of time spent commuting all over town. Dont want to keep up with the Joneses like so many people in SoCal. My husband grew up on the Carolina coast and I've been in San Diego nearly my entire life, but I wonder if Charlotte would be a good fit. We love staying active in the outdoors as well as having music, arts, theatre nearby. At the same time, we like our privacy and space as far as our home goes. Hmmm? City close, country quiet? Any insight?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 08:52 AM
 
2,998 posts, read 4,685,897 times
Reputation: 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
So you are a realtor in Charlotte but you would not recommend anyone buy a house in Charlotte (based on other posts under this id).
A friend of mine just jumped on my computer. Ok

Last edited by bmd69; 12-15-2007 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,693 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I have not read the responses yet, so my answer is coming strait from me.

Charlotte is NOT the place to get away from people keeping up with the Joneses! My word at the women at Harris Teeter on Saturday am with their hair and make up done just so along with their new Kate Spade bags!

I found CA to be much more "anything goes" than NC.

We do have a much larger house than we had in Pasadena, CA, but I am ready to go back. We have been here 3 years so far.

We don't find Charlotte slower paced either. I could easily fill my calendar daily. DH still commutes an hour each way and so did I here when I worked.

Please don't come thinking life is "so much better" on the other side of the US. I personally was a bit disappointed.

I am not trying to be negative, really. I just haven't ever felt that Charlotte was "home" to me and after almost 3 years, I think that indicates to me that this is not where we will stay too much longer.

YOU may love it here, just come with your eyes open and be aware that there are "issues" here just like anywhere. Although for me, the West Coast is always where I will call HOME!

Dawn
I know a lot of San Diego people who had to for one reason or another relocate to various places on the east coast- just about all miss SD terribly and will go back at the first opportunity. San Diego has a lot to offer, the ocean, weather, and people there are pretty laid back. That being said I personally wouldn't live there, as I'm not a west coast person- I've always felt the ocean was on the wrong side (literally). So I think the same effect happens for some west coasters who move east- it never really feels right. I've recently traveled to Texas, CA, IL, and WA, and it was a good reminder of all the MANY different cultures that are within the US. It's all different and all good IMO. I've realized that I'll probably never (want) to live outside of the southeast US and never again will want to live in the northeast US.

Charlotte is so different from SD, I'm not even sure how a real comparison could be made, you'll either love it or hate it, but come with an open mind, you may be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 02:55 PM
 
4,093 posts, read 10,149,475 times
Reputation: 1896
Funny you should say that.....that is how I feel! I keep thinking that the sun should SET over the ocean, not rise over it! That is just plain wrong!

Dawn




Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I know a lot of San Diego people who had to for one reason or another relocate to various places on the east coast- just about all miss SD terribly and will go back at the first opportunity. San Diego has a lot to offer, the ocean, weather, and people there are pretty laid back. That being said I personally wouldn't live there, as I'm not a west coast person- I've always felt the ocean was on the wrong side (literally). So I think the same effect happens for some west coasters who move east- it never really feels right. I've recently traveled to Texas, CA, IL, and WA, and it was a good reminder of all the MANY different cultures that are within the US. It's all different and all good IMO. I've realized that I'll probably never (want) to live outside of the southeast US and never again will want to live in the northeast US.

Charlotte is so different from SD, I'm not even sure how a real comparison could be made, you'll either love it or hate it, but come with an open mind, you may be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 07:01 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,715 times
Reputation: 10
Default Moving To Charlotte From Ri

I read your posting and thought..omg...it's me! I too have a 7 year old and a 4 year old. Our 7 year old borders on gifted, she is a brilliant little girl with a passion for the violin. We are looking a finding a nice Subdivision in the Charlotte area. My concern like yours is the school district. I need to KNOW that the kids will be challenged and SAFE. I noted you mentioned hearing some feedback on certain school systems...can you share your findings with me. I'm VERY nervous about this move. Marti
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 08:04 AM
 
46 posts, read 187,275 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIMarti View Post
I read your posting and thought..omg...it's me! I too have a 7 year old and a 4 year old. Our 7 year old borders on gifted, she is a brilliant little girl with a passion for the violin. We are looking a finding a nice Subdivision in the Charlotte area. My concern like yours is the school district. I need to KNOW that the kids will be challenged and SAFE. I noted you mentioned hearing some feedback on certain school systems...can you share your findings with me. I'm VERY nervous about this move. Marti

There are some wonderful schools in Charlotte and some not so wonderful schools. The first and foremost thing you should look at is parent involvement. Regardless of the socio-economic makeup of a school, if enough parents volunteer and donate to the PTA and if you help cultivate a learning environment at home, your child will have a wonderful education. With some schools, you will need to be involved - very involved - but is that a bad thing? There are magnet schools for children who have been identified as gifted. Look at the program at Barringer Academic Center where they have a program called Learning Immersion and Talent Development. Now, Barringer is in a fringe neighborhood (again, as most magnets in CMS) but it is safe.

However, at least in CMS, do not expect your child to get music education in elementary school as that program was cut many years ago. But there are ample opportunities for her to continue with her violin through programs with the Charlotte Symphony, the Community School of the Arts and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top