U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 9,390 times

Advertisements

My family and I will most likely be relocating to Monroe into the Porter Ridge school district. I'm in high school and I'm wondering how good of a school Porter Ridge High is. Are there many fights? Is it on the block scehdule, stuff like that.

Last edited by bobtheman; 12-13-2007 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 05:07 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,449,859 times
In general, the Porter Ridge cluster (elementary, middle and high) are highly regarded. Lots of folks move to the area with the specific aim of their children attending those schools. The buildings are beautiful, campus is quite impressive aesthetically. Specifics about test scores, demographics, etc can be found at greatschools.net

Hopefully, someone here with personal experience will jump in.

Any chance you can visit the school before you move to the area? That might put you at ease.

Good luck!

Sara

Old 12-14-2007, 07:36 PM

4,097 posts, read 10,172,790 times
Yes, PRHS is block scheduled. It is a new school and looks very nice.

Many say it is highly rated, although the test scoring is far lower than other schools in the district. That doesn't mean you won't get a sub-par education, but it isn't one of the top/high rated in the district.

The new principal is on the ball and seems to be making very positive changes to the school. Many teacher left because new schools opened this year and they were given opportunities to go. But those teachers who have stayed (most anyway) are great and are working hard to make the school more cohesive.

Dawn

Old 12-14-2007, 11:33 PM

Glad Dawn answered here. Knew she had personal familiarity.

Sara

Old 12-15-2007, 07:01 AM

Sorry, I meant to say that it doesn't mean that you will get a sub-par education.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Yes, PRHS is block scheduled. It is a new school and looks very nice.

Many say it is highly rated, although the test scoring is far lower than other schools in the district. That doesn't mean you won't get a sub-par education, but it isn't one of the top/high rated in the district.

The new principal is on the ball and seems to be making very positive changes to the school. Many teacher left because new schools opened this year and they were given opportunities to go. But those teachers who have stayed (most anyway) are great and are working hard to make the school more cohesive.

Dawn

Old 12-15-2007, 07:15 AM

I haven't even been on these boards for a long time!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Glad Dawn answered here. Knew she had personal familiarity.

Sara

Old 12-15-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I haven't even been on these boards for a long time!

Dawn

Nope, but you've got an impressive post count, sound advice and besides, I know you even better from another area.

Sara

Old 12-15-2007, 09:06 AM

Well, thanks. I am sure not everyone agrees with you, but.....

Dawn

PS: We really should meet one of these days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Nope, but you've got an impressive post count, sound advice and besides, I know you even better from another area.

Sara

Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 AM

62 posts, read 131,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheman View Post
My family and I will most likely be relocating to Monroe into the Porter Ridge school district. I'm in high school and I'm wondering how good of a school Porter Ridge High is. Are there many fights? Is it on the block scehdule, stuff like that.
Good school. My kids have been there going on 3 years. They are doing well academically and athletically and have enjoyed their experience. Block schedules, nice facilities, good sports teams (football has struggled, but others have done very well, including golf, soccer, basketball and volleyball. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheman View Post
Hey, I've been going to PRHS for three years now and I like it a lot. Block schedule, good teachers (well, the ones I've had).., good administration, and awesome principal! The school is also very diverse, we even got an Egyptian kid lol... yeh

Fights? Not usually, the ones we had were dealt with quickly and nothings been too serious. If anything it's between two people, not really "groups". Just don't hang out with the wrong crowd There are many classes to choose from, plenty of electives, and athletic activities.

In my opinion, it's a great school, if you'd like to know more you can PM me Tootles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte