Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 12:20 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,529,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I agree but the hypocrisy is palpable when purposely exalt to be the gold standard for family values and morality, then fall short. People are forgiving but not totally crazy because habitual offenders like Anthony Weiner are beyond repair, thus cannot hide behind the reformed mantra.

Patrick Cannon will be given another opportunity down the road, but he'll never be mayor of Charlotte again.
That's well said....The issue isn't the Republican party per se, it's the "we're the party of God, Country, and family"...then when you see a guy (and it's almost exclusively men) clearly violate all that (whether he broke a state/federal law or one of the 10 commandments) there seems to be this looking the other way attitude by and large. That's what gives the "rolling the eyes" effect by a lot of dems and independents...

I'd bet Patrick Cannon resurfaces some where even better than before. That's what makes America the land of opportunity (if you know how to manipulate the system).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 12:26 PM

401 posts, read 654,435 times
Unfortunately I think,36-48 months. 3-4 years for $44,000, are you kidding me? Patrick Cannon then had to pay back the 44k and then he is still charged. I think its because he's black, I think its unfair as well, I've met him personally.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:33 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,189,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
Unfortunately I think,36-48 months. 3-4 years for $44,000, are you kidding me? Patrick Cannon then had to pay back the 44k and then he is still charged. I think its because he's black, I think its unfair as well, I've met him personally.

You do realize he was not caught taking bribes on hundreds of other transactions over the years and these were just a sampling as part of a sting. If he took 100% of the bribes offered by the FBI just imagine how much he took over the years from developers.

Black, white, yellow, pink, orange - he was a thief, crook, liar, and deserves jail.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
You do realize he was not caught taking bribes on hundreds of other transactions over the years and these were just a sampling as part of a sting. If he took 100% of the bribes offered by the FBI just imagine how much he took over the years from developers.

Black, white, yellow, pink, orange - he was a thief, crook, liar, and deserves jail.
I guess its a lesson learned, but i don't agree with 5 years.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:16 PM

363 posts, read 443,371 times
Quote:
Has absolutely nothing to do with him being black. He is a criminal and deserves to go to jail for at least that long, if not longer.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:27 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,545,839 times
Quote:
I guess its a lesson learned, but i don't agree with 5 years.
Wow. Lesson learned? Do you know what Patrick Cannon admitted to doing? Can you even imagine what he has done that he didn't get caught doing?

I find it very sad that you (or anyone) would think his punishment too harsh. I guess you think that he should just get a slap on the hand and carry on?

No wonder this country is such a mess.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:33 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,518,232 times
Quote:
It's got nothing to do with him belonging to the Black race. This was a deal that Cannon & lawyers made with the federal prosecutors.

In return for pleading guilty, and turning over dirt on others, prosecutors agreed not to push for more than 3-4 years jail time AND not to pursue further charges. Furthermore the Judge agreed to further requests, such as jail close to Charlotte, minimum security, and not holding Cannon in jail while he awaited sentencing and not even holding him now while he waits on a date & place.

They were very accommodating. Extremely accommodating. Hugely accommodating given the reputation hit to Charlotte as a place to do business. This constant, "cause he's Black" is giving everyone else race fatigue.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Wow. Lesson learned? Do you know what Patrick Cannon admitted to doing? Can you even imagine what he has done that he didn't get caught doing?

I find it very sad that you (or anyone) would think his punishment too harsh. I guess you think that he should just get a slap on the hand and carry on?

No wonder this country is such a mess.
They left alot of facts out of the case from the news in Fayetteville. The Fayetteville news says "Former Mayor Patrick Cannon was arrested for $44,000 worth of brives from the FBI"
Which in our mind, the FBI set him up. Of course, now that I know the real story, is till wouldn't agree with 5 years. 3-4 years is good.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
Has absolutely nothing to do with him being black. He is a criminal and deserves to go to jail for at least that long, if not longer.

yeah I guess, it wasn't too much about his sentence but the harsh things people were saying about him outside the court house.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:51 PM

363 posts, read 443,371 times
Quote:
They left alot of facts out of the case from the news in Fayetteville. The Fayetteville news says "Former Mayor Patrick Cannon was arrested for $44,000 worth of brives from the FBI"
Which in our mind, the FBI set him up. Of course, now that I know the real story, is till wouldn't agree with 5 years. 3-4 years is good.
You do have the internet right? It would make sense to look things up before forming an opinion on it. You shouldn't be allowed to vote if that is how you act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte