Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 07:35 AM

24 posts, read 95,572 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,
I realize that bugs and cellars go hand in hand but the problem I have is that the newly renovated house we are renting has one downside--the washer and dryer are in the cellar. The foundation is exposed and there is dirt in parts of the cellar.

Could anyone suggest the best way to get rid of the bugs? This month there were so many down there! I can only imagine how bad it will be in the spring and summer.

I know I shouldn't be afraid of bugs but I really do not like them and I don't want them around clean or dirty clothes.

Has anyone put a washer and dryer in the garage?

Thank you so much for the advice.
Jas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 07:38 AM

126 posts, read 579,352 times
Ortho makes a spray that you spray around the perimeter of the area and it lasts for 4-6 months and kills any bug that crosses it. Available at Home Depot. I think it's called 'Ortho Home Defense'.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:42 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhen View Post
Ortho makes a spray that you spray around the perimeter of the area and it lasts for 4-6 months and kills any bug that crosses it. Available at Home Depot. I think it's called 'Ortho Home Defense'.
Ditto what you've said. I use this product around my foundation every couple of months or so. Its like $11-12 per jug and works great. Highly recommended.

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event...97d662624a3365

Old 12-14-2007, 07:45 AM

Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! I would love to use that space for a metal cabinet to hold large kitchen appliances (slow cooker, etc....) but don't want the bugs to crawl around that space.

Do you think it would be okay to place a metal cabinet down there with kitchen stuff?

Just asking, thanks.
Jas

Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Default Should be okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasykaur View Post
Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! I would love to use that space for a metal cabinet to hold large kitchen appliances (slow cooker, etc....) but don't want the bugs to crawl around that space.

Do you think it would be okay to place a metal cabinet down there with kitchen stuff?

Just asking, thanks.
Jas
If it is damp, you may want to raise the metal cabinet off the floor by putting it on a wood pallet or if it is the right size - put some kind of rubber mat under it (I have used the rubber mats that are made to go under washing machines b/f in a damp area).

I have a storage area where I put things like smoker, large cooker, and I put them in trash bags b/f I store them. That way, even if bugs do manage to take a stroll in the cabinet or open shelves . . . there is some protection.

Good luck! FYI - I also use the Ortho spray. (Well H uses it, LOL!!!!)

Old 12-14-2007, 07:56 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Is it a "crawl space" or cellar/basement?

I think if you spray and keep it clean/uncluttered, it should be fine. Are you going to get the exposed foundation sealed/covered up?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:17 AM

Hi there,

First off, thank you all this is very helpful. We're moving from DC in two weeks and we're thrilled to be down in Charlotte!

To answer some of your questions....
I am not sure how damp it is down in the cellar but I noticed there was a humidifier in there next to the washer and dryer. It was turned on.

Also, it is definitely a cellar. There is a door off to the kitchen and you have to go down a five or six steps and there is a 10 x 10 space with a washer/dryer and humidifier. The floor is concrete.

I feel like painting the walls yellow just to brighten it up! There is a crawl space full of dirt and plants that is exposed.

How much do you think it would cost to close it up? What would some options be other than dry wall? How about duct taping thick plastic around the crawl space area? Any thoughts and ideas would be helpful!

Jas

Old 12-14-2007, 09:34 AM

523 posts, read 2,904,897 times
You mentioned that there is dirt coming into the cellar. I’m having a hard time picturing what your basement looks like but I’m sure that if there is dirt, you may have a moisture problem and there is also probably some energy leakage in addition to bugs (which I find nasty, as well).

Again, I’m not sure of your exact scenario but it sounds like you could use some sort of protective cover/insulation for large areas where foundation/dirt is exposed. In my old house, there was a thick piece of plastic all the way around the foundation which seemed to keep out moisture very well and I’m sure helped cut back on bugs. I’m not sure the cost or amount of effort that this takes, though. You would still need to do a bug bomb about once a month, though, probably.

A very quick, cheap, and easy partial fix is to simply buy some 100% silicone sealant and use it fill any gaps, cracks, and holes that you see (you should do this around your whole house, not just the basement). Bugs do find their way into these crevices as does your heating and cooling so you will usually see some energy savings from doing this, as well.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:50 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
Is it better to have bugs in the cellar better than bats in the belfry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte