U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:55 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwally View Post
Here's my story. My husband and I are teachers and the job market was terrible in MI. I had a job (very rough conditions) in a charter school near Detroit for 1 year. My husband graduated that year and had 6 subbing jobs in 6 months! We knew we had to move to be happy in our careers. We also knew that if we wanted to get married right away we would have to move since we wouldn't be able to afford a house/taxes in MI. We took out a map and ruled out states until we landed on NC. We liked the proximity to mts. and beach. We liked the mild climate. We LOVED the schools we were hired at!!! So, we moved. Do I miss MI? Yes, all my family is there and my friends. But, we just moved here in July so it will take time. We moved to Ballantyne and rented an apt. Now, we have purchased our first home in Indian Trail (this weekend) and are very happy! Yes, there are things that are tough sometimes (especially being a teacher), but this is our home and we are determined to make it ours. I am very happy here and I don't see us leaving anytime soon (unless the water runs out). :-)
YEA!!!! So happy about your home! And I am sure I speak for many others in saying thank you for coming to teach here!

You gave me exactly the type of info I am needing. I really appreciate your sharing your story. I know it is difficult to leave family and friends . . .I am a native but have lived in the midwest and very much miss my friends there (but they visit and I go back at least once a year- that helps)

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday season . . . and congrats on your home! Thank you again for taking the time to share . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 01:38 PM

117 posts, read 408,742 times
We moved here from Dallas Tx. in April 06'. My husband is in finance and was looking for a better paying job there for a long while with out much luck and his sister who lives here suggested he send a resume to her work, Wacovia and we talked about it, did a little research and decided we would be open to a move if the job was right and he was offered enough that we thought it would make sense to come...we miss Dallas and everyone there but are loving the quality of life here, the weather, the endless choices for weekend trips, the variety of house styles and if I could get my family to move here I know I wouldn't ever want to leave but if I don't then we'll just have to see...right now I think it's pretty great.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:04 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,302,099 times
My husband is in finance too, erinavery (from a marketing side). If you feel ok about doing a bit of networking, please PM me! We are sooooo wanting to get out of MA and though he thinks he likes Raleigh better, he likes CLT just fine and with it being the finance center of the area, that's probably where we'll go, unless I turn up something first. He's been talking to one very large employer down there and just wants to surface as many opportunities as he can.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Old 12-14-2007, 02:49 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,708,366 times
A job opportunity. Been here almost 15 years and LOVE Charlotte. I wonder how long you have to live here to become a "native" so to speak?

Moved here from Raleigh and was the BEST decision I ever made!

Charlotte has a little of something to offer almost anyone. Haven't met many people who moved here that didn't like it.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:24 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,149,475 times
DH got a job offer and we decided to try it.

It was certainly lower cost of living in terms of housing, but I don't find groceries, retail, or other things much cheaper.

We have now lived here almost 3 years. We are looking at moving out of Charlotte in the next 2 years.

We moved from the Los Angeles area. DH is an accountant and I am a teacher/school counselor.

We live in Marvin.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am doing research for a client, and was asked about some demographics and there is no source to find 2007 data yet . . . only some projections.

So I am wondering if readers can help me by answering a few things about your move to the Charlotte area. I am particularly interested in hearing from people who have lived here less than three years (but all responses appreciated).

Did you move here with or w/o a job? Are you a retiree? Did you buy a house and if so - in what general area? Where did you move from?

Can you state the #1 reason you moved here (i.e., transferred with job, looking for lower taxes, retiring, weather, to be near family, etc.)

Any insight you would be willing to share would be helpful and appreciated.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:21 PM

716 posts, read 1,906,663 times
The first time I moved to Charlotte ('98) I was in Raleigh and needed a bigger city. I didn't move until I had a job. I rented the whole time I was here: twice off South Blvd, and then Uptown.

Then 2 years ago my company relocated me to the DC metro area.

I got married, and we decided to buy our first house.

Median house price in NoVA: $450,000

My job changed and I became a regional resource, so they told me I could move any place that had a major airport. My husband's job based in NoVA didn't want to lose him, so they agreed to let him telecommute if he was going to move somewhere else. (I'm in IT, and my husband works for a government contractor.)

Median house price in Charlotte: $195,000

And here we are!

Old 12-15-2007, 07:48 AM

Default Thank you, Erinavery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
We moved here from Dallas Tx. in April 06'. My husband is in finance and was looking for a better paying job there for a long while with out much luck and his sister who lives here suggested he send a resume to her work, Wacovia and we talked about it, did a little research and decided we would be open to a move if the job was right and he was offered enough that we thought it would make sense to come...we miss Dallas and everyone there but are loving the quality of life here, the weather, the endless choices for weekend trips, the variety of house styles and if I could get my family to move here I know I wouldn't ever want to leave but if I don't then we'll just have to see...right now I think it's pretty great.
I really like Dallas area, myself. Plano and Frisco . . . remind me of parts of CLT - I can see Ballantyne becoming more like Frisco (or am I way off?) Thank you for sharing, b/c my client knows that newcomers are here b/c of finance jobs . . . and your story helps confirm that of those who have taken jobs here . . . many are inclined to stay. I have also talked to other newcomers who are hoping their families will move here . . . and to my amazement . . . in talking to my neighbors on this topic . . . three of them have family who have already followed them to CLT!

THank you for sharing your story!

Old 12-15-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Glad you like it here, 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
A job opportunity. Been here almost 15 years and LOVE Charlotte. I wonder how long you have to live here to become a "native" so to speak?

Moved here from Raleigh and was the BEST decision I ever made!

Charlotte has a little of something to offer almost anyone. Haven't met many people who moved here that didn't like it.
Thank you for weighing in! Sounds like you are planning to stay in CLT area. My client is especially interested in two things: why people came here (with or without job) and if they think they may want to retire here (or nearby). Think you would want to stay here into retirement?

As for native status, I guess that is a title reserved for people who were born here, and probably means nothing except that those of us who were born here have seen the changes. However, seems to me, home really is where the heart is . . . I would think the fact that you chose to be here is more impressive than the fact I was born here.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Appreciate your info, Dawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
DH got a job offer and we decided to try it.

It was certainly lower cost of living in terms of housing, but I don't find groceries, retail, or other things much cheaper. We have now lived here almost 3 years. We are looking at moving out of Charlotte in the next 2 years.

We moved from the Los Angeles area. DH is an accountant and I am a teacher/school counselor. We live in Marvin. Dawn
THanks for sharing your story, Dawn. I had clients in the LA/Santa Monica area . . . and so spent several years in and out of LA, staying for weeks at a time (I was there right after Northridge earthquake - disconcerting to say the least). Loved SM . . . who wouldn't . . . if you have the money to live there! Housing is so much more reasonable here, but I agree on retail and groceries. Plus the beach nearby . . . Hope you will consider other areas in NC even if you don't stay here in CLT.

Good luck and hope you have a wonderful holiday season.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:31 AM

Default UltraV . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
The first time I moved to Charlotte ('98) I was in Raleigh and needed a bigger city. I didn't move until I had a job. I rented the whole time I was here: twice off South Blvd, and then Uptown.

Then 2 years ago my company relocated me to the DC metro area. I got married, and we decided to buy our first house.Median house price in NoVA: $450,000. My job changed and I became a regional resource, so they told me I could move any place that had a major airport. My husband's job based in NoVA didn't want to lose him, so they agreed to let him telecommute if he was going to move somewhere else. (I'm in IT, and my husband works for a government contractor.)

Median house price in Charlotte: $195,000, And here we are!
I really appreciate your mentioning your industries. This helps a lot.

Have family in NoVa and not only has housing skyrockted . . . the traffic is unreal. I remember when Manassas was a charming but rural burg (same for Leesburg and Haymarket). . . and look at it now. Unreal. Talk about sprawl and long commutes (but I still love the area - to visit!). Fairfax Co used to be one of the areas I wanted to live in 20 years ago. So glad I am here in CLT where housing is much more reasonable.

Glad you have found a home here . . . thank you for sharing!

Last edited by brokensky; 12-15-2007 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: edit word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte