Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate1998 View Post
BBQ sammich was $9. I asked why there was no slaw... they said a side was $3 more. $12 for a BBQ sammich w/ slaw.

That's what really p*ssed me off.

I went w/ a group of guys, so I should have planned better. But I doubt I'll be back. The views are great, but it's baseball.

They're making a killing and people will overpay. So good for them.
I never go to a game looking to eat dinner, maybe a snack with beer, but that's about it. If I can get a $5 pint of NoDa beer I am going to be fairly happy with that. What beer was $9 so I can be sure to avoid it!

I know Kannapolis has a nice little park with what I thought were pretty decent food/beer prices if you've never checked them out, good alternative just without the views of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 PM

44 posts, read 111,000 times
Ehhhh, my father and I recently went to a concert at TWC arena and made the mistake of getting "dinner" there. 2 barbecue sandwiches (no slaw, no chips, nothing extra- BBQ was mediocre) and 2 sodas (not even beer- Diet Coke) came to just over $40!! That was insane. Now the $200 per seat I spent on the tickets- totally worth it!

Old 06-06-2014, 04:34 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Great point. Buying beer at the Staples Center in LA is exactly like BB&T Ballpark in Charlotte.
Why do I need to go to the BB&T Ballpark for $9 beer, when I can come here for all the free whine I can stand?

As for the on-field product, I would suspect that sending THIRTEEN players to the Bigs might play a part in that. Just maybe.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:22 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe726 View Post
Ehhhh, my father and I recently went to a concert at TWC arena and made the mistake of getting "dinner" there. 2 barbecue sandwiches (no slaw, no chips, nothing extra- BBQ was mediocre) and 2 sodas (not even beer- Diet Coke) came to just over $40!! That was insane. Now the $200 per seat I spent on the tickets- totally worth it!
if you spent $400 on seats.. I can see why they charged $40 for food.

if I saw those prices we would eat after the concert

Old 06-06-2014, 01:47 PM

247 posts, read 378,136 times
Quote:
What a ripoff. $9 for a beer. $9 for a BBQ sandwich. I asked them why there wasn't any slaw on the sandwich- which they said it was an extra $3 for slaw. I reminded him that we were in NC and that's a shootable offense.

I don't mind spending money. I love to go to Del Frisco's. I love to go to the Wells Fargo Championship and blow lots of money.

But spending that much money on minor league baseball is an absolute ripoff.
SMH. I really wonder what people are thinking as they walk past all the other places in CLT that offer food and drinks at more reasonable prices. It can't possibly be "let's wait and get stuff at the ballpark, it's sure to be high quality and affordable".

The prices at the WF Tournament are pretty high as well, and the tickets are a LOT more expensive than the Knights, but once you are on the bus to the course, you are pretty much a hostage.

This situation is different because you have th freedom of choice right up until you enter the stadium.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:56 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Why do I need to go to the BB&T Ballpark for $9 beer, when I can come here for all the free whine I can stand?

As for the on-field product, I would suspect that sending THIRTEEN players to the Bigs might play a part in that. Just maybe.
Absolutely, a minor league player can be promoted to the majors at anytime so team quality, chemistry and season expectations are subject to instant change. Don't the MLB teams control the draft selection process and player personnel for their respective farm teams?...not sure how much impact or input minor league coaches and other execs have in the decision making process.

It's usually the final stop before the big leagues so quality of play is at a high level. And being downtown with park, etc makes it a great experience for family or group outing.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:11 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Absolutely, a minor league player can be promoted to the majors at anytime so team quality, chemistry and season expectations are subject to instant change. Don't the MLB teams control the draft selection process and player personnel for their respective farm teams?...not sure how much impact or input minor league coaches and other execs have in the decision making process.

It's usually the final stop before the big leagues so quality of play is at a high level. And being downtown with park, etc makes it a great experience for family or group outing.
I believe you are correct on all counts. I'm sure the MiLB coaches wish they had a little more control. Heck, I'm sure the team owners wish the same. If they did, Chris Sale wouldn't have pitched his only rehab start in Durham.

Certainly the majority of the guys, in a typical year, aren't going to get called up. Presumably this year is an anomaly. I know the pitching coach mentioned that he was pleased to have so many of his guys get the call.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:14 PM

44 posts, read 111,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
if you spent $400 on seats.. I can see why they charged $40 for food.

if I saw those prices we would eat after the concert
It was The Eagles- took Dad for his birthday. Special day for both of us. Although I'd plan differently next time, the overall experience was superb.

Maybe I didn't word my previous post quite right, but I wasn't complaining, rather just saying that's how things go at those types of events. Also why (on a teachers' salary) I rarely attend, with the exception of special occasions as mentioned above.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:30 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,551,491 times
I love visiting the street vendors before Panthers games. Not sure if they're still out there before Knights games, but we can buy several hot dogs and a soda for what the Panthers charge for 1 dog.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:54 PM

751 posts, read 933,803 times
We came from Delaware, which had a single A team. Bleacher seats for $5. Beer for $5, hot dogs for $2.50. Box seats behind home plate for $15. Quality of baseball wasn't much different from AAA...we could name as many players on the A team that we can on the AAA team, yet the Knights charge an arm and a leg for their product. We went once in Fort Mill and had a good time, but won't be paying to watch them in Charlotte. We'll take advantage of other cheaper products...$5 UNCC tickets, $5 Winthrop tickets, etc. We'll definitely have to check out Kannapolis and see what that's about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte