U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2007, 07:26 AM
 
4,097 posts, read 10,173,856 times
Reputation: 1901

Advertisements

We have had Directv for about 8 years. We have Tivo on three TVs.

We called to ask about adding HD and to add a 4th TV hook-up. They said it would be $400 total upfront.

For Dish we would be new customers so they are offering all kinds of insentives to swtich including free installation and DVRs. The monthly cost would be about the same.

I plan to call Directv and explain that Dish is willing to offer me free and I will switch to save $400 if I need to and ask if they can offer me anything.

It drives me CRAZY that new customers get all kinds of incentives, but 8 years of loyalty gets me nothing.

Thoughts on Dish? Like it? Hate it? Thoughts on differences between Directv and Dish? One you like better?

Thanks so much.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2007, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Asheville
1,162 posts, read 3,696,958 times
Reputation: 1200
Don't get Dish, channel offerings don't stack up compared to DirectTV, which is why it's cheaper. Your installation costs sound over the top. Maybe the person on phone didn't realize you already have connections. Get to the bottom of it, maybe put off HD until an upcoming special. To spend minimum dollars now, you can connect your own fourth TV, by LEGALLY running wire with a splitter device from Radio Shack, at no extra cost. Just some ideas. But you just can't beat DirectTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Huntersville, NC
86 posts, read 310,211 times
Reputation: 31
Check out this link

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...yword1=directv

People are getting free HD boxes, dish upgrades and free service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 07:56 AM
 
240 posts, read 351,351 times
Reputation: 83
Can someone help me out? Sorry to interrupt thread. I am fairly new to this city wide forum, how do I start a thread with a my topic of interest? I don't have a clue on a lot of things in here, lol. Thanks, sorry to interrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 08:05 AM
 
4,834 posts, read 5,548,394 times
Reputation: 2394
Thumbs up DirecTV for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We have had Directv for about 8 years. We have Tivo on three TVs.

We called to ask about adding HD and to add a 4th TV hook-up. They said it would be $400 total upfront.

For Dish we would be new customers so they are offering all kinds of insentives to swtich including free installation and DVRs. The monthly cost would be about the same.

I plan to call Directv and explain that Dish is willing to offer me free and I will switch to save $400 if I need to and ask if they can offer me anything.

It drives me CRAZY that new customers get all kinds of incentives, but 8 years of loyalty gets me nothing.

Thoughts on Dish? Like it? Hate it? Thoughts on differences between Directv and Dish? One you like better?

Thanks so much.

Dawn
I would definitely suggest that you contact DTV again, both by phone and by e mail contact as they are growing fast and are always adding new people...some of which give out bad info. This will give you a direct (no pun intended) confirmation or confusion of the info being offered. the addition of HD should cost you $9.99 plus taxes...but it may be that they want to charge you for the new oval satellite dish. By all means tell them what DISH said.

We had DISH previously and, from our vantage point, it doesn't measure up to DTV which has far more HD channels now with more coming every month.

If you go with HD and the new satellite dish do get the insurance to cover potential strange repairs for a cost of less that $5.00 as it is worth it.

Also, watch out for the incentives as they have time limits. When we signed up for DTV we received a $10 new customer monthly deduction from the bill for 12 months...and a $10 monthly deduction from DirectStar for 15 months. After that the bill returns to the regular price.

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 12-15-2007 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: correct spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 08:37 AM
 
4,097 posts, read 10,173,856 times
Reputation: 1901
Honestly, I can't hook it up myself. DH says he has no time (working 60 plus hours per week right now) oand I can't run it through the walls. We measured and from wherthey put the box to my bedroom is over 100 ft.

Thanks,

Dawn


Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac2259080
Don't get Dish, channel offerings don't stack up compared to DirectTV, which is why it's cheaper. Your installation costs sound over the top. Maybe the person on phone didn't realize you already have connections. Get to the bottom of it, maybe put off HD until an upcoming special. To spend minimum dollars now, you can connect your own fourth TV, by LEGALLY running wire with a splitter device from Radio Shack, at no extra cost. Just some ideas. But you just can't beat DirectTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 08:38 AM
 
4,097 posts, read 10,173,856 times
Reputation: 1901
Yes, it is $9.99/mo. BUT the connection with the new satellite is $300.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
I would definitely suggest that you contact DTV again, both by phone and by e mail contact as they are growing fast and are always adding new people...some of which give out bad info. This will give you a direct (no pun intended) confirmation or confusion of the info being offered. the addition of HD should cost you $9.99 plus taxes...but it may be that they want to charge you for the new oval satellite dish. By all means tell them what DISH said.

We had DISH previously and, from our vantage point, it doesn't measure up to DTV which has far more HD channels now with more coming every month.

If you go with HD and the new satellite dish do get the insurance to cover potential strange repairs for a cost of less that $5.00 as it is worth it.

Also, watch out for the incentives as they have time limits. When we signed up for DTV we received a $10 new customer monthly deduction from the bill for 12 months...and a $10 monthly deduction from DirectStar for 15 months. After that the bill returns to the regular price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 08:45 AM
 
4,097 posts, read 10,173,856 times
Reputation: 1901
Thank you for that. I am not sure exactly what he means by asking for retention, but I certainly plan to call again.

I have Sunday's paper and in it it offers all this great stuff.....4 hook ups free, free instal of HD, etc....but only to new customers. I plan to have that ready when I call and ask why I can't get the same deal, as I am an 8 year veteran of their services but am perfectly willing to leave to get that same stuff from another company.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorrell View Post
Check out this link

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...yword1=directv

People are getting free HD boxes, dish upgrades and free service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 09:12 AM
 
4,097 posts, read 10,173,856 times
Reputation: 1901
Oh, thank you all so much.

I just called again and threatened (very politely!) to switch to DISH because at least they would do all the install, etc... for free.

Well......

I am now getting:

The $400 install for $50
Free HD DVR for a year (normally $9.99/mo.)
$10 off my bill for a year!

So, my bill is going down and I am adding HD and a 4th TV!

Glad I don't have to switch. I really like that I know where all the channels are, etc.....

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2007, 12:01 PM
 
889 posts, read 2,850,602 times
Reputation: 343
So am i understanding that overall,Direct is better than Dish in terms of more HD channels? How about Comcast instead of Satalite altogether ?? Pro's cons as i really dont know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top