Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:54 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If space permits, traffic circles are a viable alternative to all way stops on two-lane roads. They are not a good idea for four-lane roads.
I read that the traffic circle/roundabout was developed in the U.S., but among all of the developed and developing countries, they are least used in the U.S..

I think Americans are too aggressive to use the traffic circle safely.

I never saw yellow lines on a residential street until I moved to Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 06:17 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,303 times
It's done for "traffic calming" purposes. The speed bumps are part of the craziness. All this does is pump more hydrocarbons into the air in those neighbors because vehicles gear down and require more fuel, which is turned into emissions, when they stop (or slow) and then accelerate. Those speed bumps are a waste of tax dollars. In addition, they slow emergency vehicles (think house on fire) and they are hard on the suspension of ALL vehicles especially big fire trucks and MEDIC vehicles.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:55 AM

625 posts, read 488,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
I read that the traffic circle/roundabout was developed in the U.S., but among all of the developed and developing countries, they are least used in the U.S..

I think Americans are too aggressive to use the traffic circle safely.

I never saw yellow lines on a residential street until I moved to Charlotte.
I don't think it's a matter of aggression but a matter of understanding the rules of a traffic circle.

In NJ there are a few circles that would scare the daylights out of some people -- one of them actually does have two lane roads coming into it and has some lights (google Somerville Circle in NJ). It's not for the faint at heart, but because people know the rules behind it its actually keeps traffic flowing in an intersection that would otherwise have gridlock.

A less notorious circle I used to drive was in the town of Bound Brook NJ. It's simple circle, more of the type that people are used to. That one flows well because people know to use a zipper merge when navigating through it. It only gets mucked up when people forget to do that.

Traffic circles work well if people know the rules, but I don't see that happening here. People have a hard enough time understanding the rules at a 4 way stop!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:15 AM

54 posts, read 92,426 times
it just boggles my mind that someone wants to do away with stop signs in favor of gas mileage….and is apparently serious….SMH

Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
It's done for "traffic calming" purposes. The speed bumps are part of the craziness. All this does is pump more hydrocarbons into the air in those neighbors because vehicles gear down and require more fuel, which is turned into emissions, when they stop (or slow) and then accelerate. Those speed bumps are a waste of tax dollars. In addition, they slow emergency vehicles (think house on fire) and they are hard on the suspension of ALL vehicles especially big fire trucks and MEDIC vehicles.
The newer speed humps aren't quite as bad at least. I've been though apartment complexes that have old speed bumps almost as high as the curb, those are nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte