Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 PM

4 posts, read 9,692 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.

Me, my husband and two kids will be moving to Charlotte as part of my jobs relocation to this wonderful city. We have visited twice before and absolutely loved it. Our family was actually quite excited when I got the news, haha.

Anyways, we have some areas of intrest that we'd like to move to. I'm not use to long commutes, but I'm sure I would do fine if I had to.

How is the SouthPark area of Charlotte?

We've looked into the Quail Hollow Country Club in the middle of SouthPark and Ballantyne and like it very much. The budget is around $400-600 at most with at least 3 bed/3 bath.

Both of our children are in high school. How is South Mecklenburg?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 07:48 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
I would avoid SouthPark, at all costs! What with those Volvo driving soccer moms, bluetooth wearing, Starbucks swilling Mercedes driving dads, and those crazy teens running helter skelter with their lacrosse sticks, SouthPark can certainly be hazardous!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 9,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I would avoid SouthPark, at all costs! What with those Volvo driving soccer moms, bluetooth wearing, Starbucks swilling Mercedes driving dads, and those crazy teens running helter skelter with their lacrosse sticks, SouthPark can certainly be hazardous!
...is it a coincidence me and my husband both drive a Mercedes Benz...

& Starbucks?! We LOVE Starbucks.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 PM

176 posts, read 291,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetLifemover View Post
Hi guys.

Me, my husband and two kids will be moving to Charlotte as part of my jobs relocation to this wonderful city. We have visited twice before and absolutely loved it. Our family was actually quite excited when I got the news, haha.

Anyways, we have some areas of intrest that we'd like to move to. I'm not use to long commutes, but I'm sure I would do fine if I had to.

How is the SouthPark area of Charlotte?

We've looked into the Quail Hollow Country Club in the middle of SouthPark and Ballantyne and like it very much. The budget is around $400-600 at most with at least 3 bed/3 bath.

Both of our children are in high school. How is South Mecklenburg?

I live in SouthPark and work in uptown. Your housing budget is sufficient, particularly given you are only looking for 3 bedrooms. However, I would double-check your research on price ranges within/adjoining the country club.

Your question regarding South Mecklenburg High is very important! I have many neighbors who put their kids in private school at 20k plus/year because they are not satisfied with South Meck. (I do not have kids attending HS, so cannot offer personal knowledge.)

FWIW, I think Ballantyne makes more sense for you from a commute, schools, and housing perspective.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,024 times
Southpark is great! I live in that area, closer to Quail Hollow CC. Also consider Piper Glen Estates & the Carmel Country Club area, both very close to Quail Hollow Country Club and Southpark. I would suggest Myers Park, but that is Charlotte's "old money" and your budget would make it tough to find something there.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
My preferred top 3 HS if you want to stay in Charlotte are in this order:
1) Providence High - Arboretum area, but pretty much N of 485 (NW from Ballantyne, about 15 minutes drive)
2) Ardrey Kell - right in Ballantyne - most convenient for you
3) Myers Park - South Park area, higher price homes (N or Ballantyne, you'd drive against traffic, but still about 20 minutes)

Other option could be Marvin (South of Ballantyne) in Union County (lower taxes), about 5-10 minutes drive. School is Marvin High (easily one of the top public HS in Charlotte area). Beautiful large McMansions & communities in your price range.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 PM

175 posts, read 412,864 times
MARVIN...move there. Its in Union County, taxes are lower and Marvin Ridge is the best public school in the area (one of the best in NC). Plus, you are minutes to your new office. And for the mid-higher end of your budget, you can get in a pretty good neighborhood. I do not usually recommend Marvin because the town leaders are....lets just say, very non-progressive (ie: there is no commercial development to speak of in the town limits), but the taxes are low and your are literally five-ten minutes from Blakeney and Ballentyne so you can drive over the county line and spend all your money there. You will save thousands a year on property taxes and the difference between schools is worth thousands as noted above most wealthier families in the South Meck district shell out tens of thousands for private school. So...check it out. Some neighborhoods...Weddington Chase, Kingsmead, Marvin Creek, The Chimneys of Marvin, The Reserve. Older and cheaper neighborhoods like Hunter Oaks may be an option and would be at the lower end of the budget but you get what you pay for, so be careful.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
Quote:
Nice cars. I have two myself.

Southpark is a very nice area. If I didn't choose to live at the Lake, I'd probably live in that part of Charlotte. My recommendation to anyone considering a move here, is to avoid the far flung suburbs and move inside Charlotte Rt. 4.

My recommendation, if you are looking to avoid traffic is to stay North of Fairview Rd. and West of Sharon Rd. There are many nice neighborhoods through there.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
Quote:

& Starbucks?! We LOVE Starbucks.

I like south park to visit, personally could not afford the price of the nice size houses.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-13-2013 at 08:25 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,053 times
Welcome and appreciate your knowledge of what Charlotte offers. We've been in South Charlotte since 1978 when AT&T relocated us from NY. Never in a day felt we made a bad choice moving here. Both our sons live here with their families as do several relatives who also decided Charlotte had a lot to offer.

If you have questions, need information on the area in more details or contacts with the schools please let me know so I can pass them along to you. In closing let me add that the entire region is excited about this relocation and I am sure you will love living here.
Ray Eschert

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-12-2013 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: tos violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte