Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:08 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
How many times does the current meaning of "you guys" have to be explained to you? I hear it used by natives who are not ignorant.
Plenty of words have changed meaning over time, even the word "you" has changed in how it's used.
I don't know what your purpose is to interject this is, but I don't think that your one woman campaign is working.
I went to a meeting yesterday where 10 natives came together. I did not hear the word "guys" once. How many times do you think I would have heard it if the group had included transplants, probably 50. Sometimes you can almost think that is the only word they know. They call everything "guys." You can try to help people fit in forever but it is their choice whether or not they want to fit in. I said it is a giveaway you came from somewhere else. Complaining and trashing Union County is another clue. All our counties and schools are good. Where are you from? LOL

Last edited by NCN; 07-01-2014 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 AM

12 posts, read 15,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I went to a meeting yesterday where 10 natives came together. I did not hear the word "guys" once. How many times do you think I would have heard it if the group had included transplants, probably 50. Sometimes you can almost think that is the only word they know. They call everything "guys." You can try to help people fit in forever but it is their choice whether or not they want to fit in. I said it is a giveaway you came from somewhere else. That complaining I saw you doing on another thread is another clue. Where are you from? LOL
Why does one have to "fit in?" What's wrong with being yourself, even if that means being as you were from where you came from? For that matter, what's wrong with being from somewhere else? You might want the world to be more like Stepford but the rest of us are perfectly ok with being ourselves. Things change, people change, places change, words change, life changes. If you cannot accept that you're going to spend a large portion of your life upset.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Get rid of the guys word. Guy Fawkes' goal was to kill all the Protestants he could. Most of the natives here are Protestant. I absolutely hate to even hear the word "guys" and when someone calls me "guys" it makes me ill. I cross off my list anyone that uses the word. Dead giveaway you are not from here. Unfortunately we have so many people moving here using the word that some ignorant natives have started using it too. I don't like four letter words.
I use "guys" a lot and have never had a bad comment about it from a male. When addressing a group one time a woman did say "I'm not a guy" so I try to use it only when referring to males now.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:18 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
I went to a meeting yesterday where 10 natives came together. I did not hear the word "guys" once. How many times do you think I would have heard it if the group had included transplants, probably 50. Sometimes you can almost think that is the only word they know. They call everything "guys." You can try to help people fit in forever but it is their choice whether or not they want to fit in. I said it is a giveaway you came from somewhere else. Complaining and trashing Union County is another clue. All our counties and schools are good. Where are you from? LOL
I live in Kings Mountain, where natives are still the majority. I hear them say you guys to each other & they are not ignorant. Now, granted, if you address friends & family with thee & thou, it would explain why you are stuck on the historic definition of guys instead of accepting the modern common usage. No one says that you have to use it or like it. Stewing over it doesn't make your life more pleasant.
I've stated where I'm from repeatedly. It has no place in this thread. I also don't trash Union County. I don't have a dog in that fight.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:27 PM

45 posts, read 91,061 times
Guys - Let's not get caught up in the guys talk. Some people say guys, and some people don't say guys. I'm trying to get information about my move to Charlotte, not get caught up in online bickering. I respectfully ask that you stay on track here. Thanks, guys.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:48 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Quote:
Get rid of the guys word. Guy Fawkes' goal was to kill all the Protestants he could. Most of the natives here are Protestant. I absolutely hate to even hear the word "guys" and when someone calls me "guys" it makes me ill. I cross off my list anyone that uses the word. Dead giveaway you are not from here. Unfortunately we have so many people moving here using the word that some ignorant natives have started using it too. I don't like four letter words.
Do you hate people named Adolf? I think we can be pretty sure that anyone who uses the term "guys" has no clue about Guy Fawkes so I doubt they mean to be insulting.

Anyway, many of my Irish-Catholic ancestors have been victims of actual harm at the hands of Protestants. I don't have anything against Protestants here in the US at all, nor do I get upset when people use the term "Paddywagon".

Old 07-03-2014, 07:53 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Taco,

I just spent a week in Lac du Flambeau, WI and I will say that the people there are more friendly than those here in Charlotte. Now, native Charlotteans are probably just as friendly but remember that many people living here are from New York, New Jersey (like myself), Pennsylvania and Massachussetts. Don't get me wrong, I love Charlotte and the people ARE friendly and I fully believe you will like it here.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:39 PM

I think both places have a reputation of being nice. But Charlotte has much better weather!!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:27 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
I spent 7 years in West Des Moines, IA. you will find your lifestyle is not much different at 30 degrees than at -30 degrees.

The benefit to Charlotte is that "spring" comes in March, not May, and "winter" waits until late November as opposed to sleet on Halloween night.

The "mid-west work ethic" is a stark contrast to two trucks on blocks and a four wheeler in the front yard you will see once you get out of Charlotte proper. A lot more single wides and double wides down here, too. Many people in the city, still live the trailer park lifestyle.

Only the finest neighborhoods in Charlotte can compare to the average WDM area in regards to yard cleanliness, maintenance and care.

WDM, at least, beats Charlotte in most aspects. If trout fishing or flounder fishing were closer, I would still be there, no question at all.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawson View Post
What are you talking about when you refer to "mid-west work ethic?" You are unclear. I have never seen "two trucks on blocks and a four wheeler" in a front yard, and if you have, it was certainly a very rare sight and certainly something that you are more likely to see in Iowa. According to the Department of Labor, North Carolina is on top of the list with the most productive workers in the U.S./world. That is highly attributed to the right-to-work status here.

Secondly, are you saying that Iowa doesn't have lots of trailers? My wife's family all live in Minnesota and Iowa and that is truly the land of trailers.

Your comments seem to be based on some personal prejudices rather than reality. I, am a graduate of the University of Nebraska and lived in that part of the country of many years. Comparing a little city like Des Moines (not even in the top 100 cities for population) with Charlotte is not going to present a true and accurate comparison. I don't mind people criticizing or evaluating a city, but we should use facts and reality and not biased opinions.
I couldn't agree more. As someone who has lived my whole life with -30 winters, I can tell you the 60 degree difference is shockingly different. Winters in Charlotte are mild and lend to lots of activities. When it's -20 or -30, you go to work and go home and do it all over again the next day.

Also, Charlotte is a banking epicenter. They work hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte