Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 06:02 AM

985 posts, read 1,901,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
If you're someone that's moving (and I think it's a major overreaction to completely move out of UC because of this), don't sleep on Lancaster and York counties. Both have significantly improved their school systems. I've heard many good things about Indian Land HS.
This may be true, but the amount and variety of NC universities is something that should also be considered, especially if your kids are in middle school or higher. The 2x(roughly) tuition increase for out of state is something that needs to be looked at. Is the savings today (lower taxes and costs) worth the price increase later.

Just something else to consider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 06:27 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
This may be true, but the amount and variety of NC universities is something that should also be considered, especially if your kids are in middle school or higher. The 2x(roughly) tuition increase for out of state is something that needs to be looked at. Is the savings today (lower taxes and costs) worth the price increase later.

Yep, this was the main deal breaker that made us pick NC side vs SC. Son will attend UNC in Fall at bargain rates

Old 07-03-2014, 10:21 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,360,641 times
Quote:

Very well put! I try to explain this to people constantly who ask me why I did not buy a home in SC.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:28 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:

I smirk every time someone rants about the "bad education" of the public schools because of this... If secondary education is your goal, it's hard to beat the in state value and nationally recognized quality of NC universities. It might be simply shortsighted for people to be like "I'm outta here" - but I think it's more likely sour grapes about where they landed in the redistricting or silly comparisons to public schools in other states. When you start your career it's never about your HS - it's about your college choice.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:57 PM

985 posts, read 1,901,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
When you start your career it's never about your HS - it's about your college choice.
Exactly...high school grades, test scores, and extra curriculars get you into a college/university (not specifically what high school) the application is blind often times to even where in the country you are coming from (not always but in many situations)

that college/university gets you either into grad school or your first and sometimes future jobs. The big picture is so much bigger than what school you attended in what district but rather how well you did at that school and what you did while there

(my sources, 6 college campus tours all in the last month)

Old 07-05-2014, 09:59 AM

27 posts, read 56,311 times
Quote:
Exactly...high school grades, test scores, and extra curriculars get you into a college/university (not specifically what high school) the application is blind often times to even where in the country you are coming from (not always but in many situations)

that college/university gets you either into grad school or your first and sometimes future jobs. The big picture is so much bigger than what school you attended in what district but rather how well you did at that school and what you did while there

(my sources, 6 college campus tours all in the last month)
I think many lack perspective and experience and don't take a long term view of education for their children. On the other hand, some do take a very long term view, but get things all messed up. I've seen so many go from one public elementary or secondary school to another, chasing purported good or excellent schools when the ultimate educational game plan they have in mind is getting their child into the flagship state college or an elite private college. They are simply clueless about the selection process for higher education and don't realize that having a child excel in an "academically challenged" high school might be better in the long run, for college selection purposes, than having a child perform well in a "blue ribbon" or a US World & News recognized high school where the median SAT score might be in the 95 percentile!

I've heard of countless stories where parents get their children into the "elite" public elementary and secondary schools and their "gifted" child is not so gifted in that environment and though the child might score exceptionally well on the SAT/ACT tests, the child is simply one of many in the crowd from that high school and colleges become more selective about picking the child out of the crowd. I guess it's quite frustrating to parents and child to realize that those good scores on the standardized tests don't amount to squat where half of the class is getting nearly perfect scores, and the flagship state college has placed a quota on the number of kids it might take from that high school. For example, Thomas Jefferson High School of Science & Technology, a magnet or Governor's school in Fairfax County, Virginia, is loaded with exceptionally talented and gifted students (and I've had kin folk attend the school), yet there is hardly any assurance that a student scoring in the 95 percentile on the SAT/ACT tests will get into the University of Virginia (the flagship state school) or UNC-Chapel Hill, especially when half of the class scores above the 98 percentile. And where the school graduates more Rhodes Scholars than any other high school in the nation.
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You also have parents spending obscene amounts of money to get their child into the best pre-school in the New York City or Washington, DC area so their child can get into the right private elementary and secondary school on the path to Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Stanford. It freaks me out that parents will spend private college tuition levels to get their child into elite private schools like Horace Mann, Dalton, Fieldston, Phillips Exerter, Collegiate or Sidwell Friends. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/ny...anted=all&_r=0 To a lesser extent, I suspect this goes on in the Charlotte area too!

Old 07-10-2014, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,208 times
Been here a year. Unfortunately this situation blindsided us. We picked the school we thought was best for us, and now we are being told it is not our choice. Unfortunately the value of my home has been driven down by the school changes. I believe the individual should get to decide where they live and what schools their children go . We did our due diligence in deciding the schools. Our information was correct. The scores and level of education are not equal, hence most parents look closely at the schools. We were slated to be moved from cuthbertson to parkwood. Also I have a middle and hs, both good students but not superstars. This school move would impact them. We have experience with this is florida. Im sirry fir those affected. I made a mistake, time to pay.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:13 PM

156 posts, read 309,466 times
Hi Jbordas
Sorry to hear you are in this terrible situation. I feel your pain. We too spent many months researching before we moved only to be rezoned a few months after we moved in. We now have our home on the market. No bites because of the number of homes also for sale in our development. The school situation is terrible. It is truly unfair to our children.
Good luck with your future plans.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:29 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
I don't understand how people can claim they were blindsided or did extensive research on the schools, when a few clicks on the website belonging to the school system, clearly states that pupil assignments are not permanent.
Please note that, unless specifically stated, school assignments found at this site are for the current school year only.*

Please be aware that as the fastest growing school system in North Carolina, school assignments for UCPS students are subject to change.

This seems pretty clear to me. Was it really a case that you guys simply didn't believe it?

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 07-11-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 05:33 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Maybe some of you can buy a home zoned for a Title I Choice school. That's about the only time you have a choice when talking public schools (not really counting charters/magnets since it's usually a lottery)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte