Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:29 PM

93 posts, read 127,824 times

Advertisements

Its scary, but for the first time i agree with Waldo, what is going on????????

Posters come on here and say they have done "extensive" research, yet say they were "blindsided" by the redistricting. Its a county school system, you know that after about 2 clicks on the UCPS website, so how much research did you do? Combine that with the fact that there have been 3 previous redistrictings in the past 5 yrs (Marvin, PR and Cuthbertson)….Then the logic of "i don't want my kid to move to a new school, so i am going to sell my house and move out of the county/state"….HELLO, THAT IS REDISTRICTING BY CHOICE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 05:42 AM

4 posts, read 9,401 times
But didn't the 3 previous redistrictings (Marvin, PR & Cuthbertson) all involve moving students to the closest cluster? Wouldn't it be logical to assume your children would attend the closest cluster? Our children were adults when we moved here so we didn't really pay close attention to the school issues. The neighborhood kids were assigned to the Weddington cluster when we moved in and then moved to the Cutherbertson cluster which is closer. They are now assigned to the 4th closest Parkwood cluster.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:18 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neccr21 View Post
But didn't the 3 previous redistrictings (Marvin, PR & Cuthbertson) all involve moving students to the closest cluster? Wouldn't it be logical to assume your children would attend the closest cluster? Our children were adults when we moved here so we didn't really pay close attention to the school issues. The neighborhood kids were assigned to the Weddington cluster when we moved in and then moved to the Cutherbertson cluster which is closer. They are now assigned to the 4th closest Parkwood cluster.
It's true that the previous large redistricting involved the building of new schools... However, it doesn't take one long to discover that previous boards made mistakes - intentional or not. The first mistake was choosing where to build the new schools and then compounded it by pulling in too large of an area when zoning for them. Cuthbertson is a perfect example.

I've yet to find much truth in "4th closest" and it certainly isn't a case where any significant amount of students are passing directly by another school to get to their new cluster. The lines aren't that bad. Many of us have made the argument that 5,800 was too much... that adjustments could have and should have been made lowering that number... but you had ineffective elected officials who simply let down their constituents. Elections have consequences and one hopes that people take a much more active role in choosing their representation - a majority 5 seats are up for grabs this November on the BOE.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 9,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It's true that the previous large redistricting involved the building of new schools... However, it doesn't take one long to discover that previous boards made mistakes - intentional or not. The first mistake was choosing where to build the new schools and then compounded it by pulling in too large of an area when zoning for them. Cuthbertson is a perfect example.

I've yet to find much truth in "4th closest" and it certainly isn't a case where any significant amount of students are passing directly by another school to get to their new cluster. The lines aren't that bad. Many of us have made the argument that 5,800 was too much... that adjustments could have and should have been made lowering that number... but you had ineffective elected officials who simply let down their constituents. Elections have consequences and one hopes that people take a much more active role in choosing their representation - a majority 5 seats are up for grabs this November on the BOE.

Closest is Cuthbertson, then Weddington, then Sun Valley--assigned to Parkwood. There are several neighborhoods in the area which 4th closest assignment applies to equally and my subdivision only has one entrance/exit so I'm using the same distances as the BOE. Again, my point was simply that it would be somewhat logical to assume you would be attending the schools closest to you (obviously not an accurate assumption to make).

Old 07-12-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neccr21 View Post
Thats not true, i know people that were closer to WHS that were moved to Cuthbertson….Dont get me wrong, i am in not in favor of this redistricting, the BOE hosed this up in every aspect….my point was people saying "we had no idea this could happen"….seriously?

Old 07-12-2014, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,212 times
I did see the disclaimer. I spoke with someone from the school board and was told that is only put there for legal reasons. That the rezoning is not in the works and that they don't move you farther away. Like I said I chose and now I pay. I'm a ret Leo who almost died in the line of duty, this is a hiccup in life, pay and move on, no sense dealing w it, I just can't believe how much it has affected sales. Parents look at schools and if this was a vote on the value of the parkwood system, then the jury has spoken. Consumers define the market. I'm amazed. A good student succeeds anywhere? is this school that bad? thanks, I hope I'm not denigrating anyone, not my intention.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:33 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbordas View Post
I did see the disclaimer. I spoke with someone from the school board and was told that is only put there for legal reasons. That the rezoning is not in the works and that they don't move you farther away. Like I said I chose and now I pay. I'm a ret Leo who almost died in the line of duty, this is a hiccup in life, pay and move on, no sense dealing w it, I just can't believe how much it has affected sales. Parents look at schools and if this was a vote on the value of the parkwood system, then the jury has spoken. Consumers define the market. I'm amazed. A good student succeeds anywhere? is this school that bad? thanks, I hope I'm not denigrating anyone, not my intention.
How can you jump to those conclusions when those that were redistricted haven't even stepped foot inside Parkwood? Maybe after next year then you can start drawing some conclusions like that.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
How can you jump to those conclusions when those that were redistricted haven't even stepped foot inside Parkwood? Maybe after next year then you can start drawing some conclusions like that.
Phils, lets be fair….MOST people with young children will look for a house based on school district….MOST people will use a site like NC Report Card to look at the schools performance. I can understand people being upset when they bought in an area (and paid a premium) for a school that is a 9 or a 10, then they find out they are getting moved to a school 2-3 times further away and a 5 or a 6….so they do have a point….now we can debate if the BOE even had a clue as to what they were doing, but i think that point has been beat to death….my original post went back to the posters who claim "we did extensive research and were blindsided"….that makes absolutely no sense. Extensive research would have told you that this is a county school system, not a town school system. Research would also tell you that UCBOE is for the most part clueless and that they will not entertain any other expansion plan besides redistricting

Old 07-16-2014, 03:47 PM

397 posts, read 664,980 times
Are people really still arguing about this?! LOL. It's over. Move on (literally) or make the best of it. The constant complaining is so unproductive (so I must assume that it's fun for some). Anyhow, best wishes as the school year approaches! Hope everyone sells their homes in time.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:24 AM

625 posts, read 489,196 times
We live in Fort Mill and just had a new neighbor move in across the street from Waxhaw. The put their house on the market and it sold in two weeks and they hightailed it out. Part of the reason they said, was the constant redistricting -- they have two elementary school aged boys and have accepted the fact that this would just be the way of life if they stayed in UC. It wasn't the only reason for their move, but it sounds like it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I've been following the news on this, it doesn't affect us directly, but I guess it does indirectly with new neighbors and more people thinking of hopping the border to SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte