U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 08:54 PM

139 posts, read 108,608 times

Advertisements

Here's the real question. What would make you want to move back, the place you came from or the people you left behind? I think in most cases the people who want to move back are missing the people they left. In my case, I had "movers remorse" at first but both my parents in Jersey died unexpectedly within 15 months of my moving here. My only sibling and family moved down here a year later. What on earth would I have to go back to? Home is where your family lives and my remaining family lives here. NC is the only home my kids remember and I am proud to call NC my home, too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 AM

56 posts, read 66,828 times
Maybe its just me but my wife and I summer in Long Island but were from South Florida. Her family lives up on the north shore and Im fortunate enough to be able have that flexibility with work. Other than the nice summers I dont know why you would want to live in that rat race. Maybe I just take away the negatives but it seems like everyone is in the grind. Just seems like a hard life and very intense. heck just getting to airport is stressful, in general people are rudder and thats not a knocking NYrs but I think the harsh environment creates harsh attitudes. My advice is schedule long enough visits that it reminds you why you left.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldway View Post
Shame you had to live more than half your life in an area you don't like. I doubt you'll ever move back north though.
LOL.. all that tough talk but he made his money down South and he isn't going anywhere or he would have already left.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:53 AM

3 posts, read 2,337 times
I can't speak for all but it certainly crosses my mind constantly. I love certain aspects of Charlotte but still miss aspects of NY/NJ. Can totally relate to how you're feeling.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:28 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,135,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecari2014 View Post
I can't speak for all but it certainly crosses my mind constantly. I love certain aspects of Charlotte but still miss aspects of NY/NJ. Can totally relate to how you're feeling.

Here's a better question...how many people have moved back and regretted it? Maybe not regretted it because "there is no place like home" but realized they left a pretty good situation and in hindsight would have stayed put.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:54 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,177,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Here's a better question...how many people have moved back and regretted it? Maybe not regretted it because "there is no place like home" but realized they left a pretty good situation and in hindsight would have stayed put.
I moved back to Michigan last year. My only regrets are that I took a job in MI that didn't work out, and my house took FOREVER to sell (due to a permit issue by a previous owner). Now that my house has been sold and I have a great job, I don't have regrets. I miss my old workplace and the people I worked with. I definitely missed the mild winter last year (since we had the coldest and snowiest on record!) I miss being close(ish) to the ocean (the Great Lakes are too cold!)

Old 08-31-2014, 05:51 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,644,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
That's a great question however I wouldn't be confident you'd get a lot of truthful answers because most times people don't like to admit when they made a mistake.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:55 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,024,337 times
If one moves looking for a geographical cure alone to address life-issues, it often does not work and the person is still facing those issues. Buckaroo Banzai (or maybe Confucius) said: "No matter where you go, there you are."

Old 10-10-2014, 05:26 PM
IEB

16 posts, read 17,153 times
We moved to the area the end of June, and I can say I am miserable. My husband took a promotion to come south, and while he loves the new position, we are not adjusting to the area well at all. Part of our problem is we "thought" we wanted a more rural setting, but with great schools, and chose Clover, SC. We are so far out from any meaningful shopping, restaurants, things to do. The town is very behind the times. The fire ants is something I will never get used to either. The weather here has been either crazy rain systems or oppressive heat. The beaches are far away and hotter than bath water. You are suppose to go to the shore to cool off. We are stuck for at least 2-3 years, so we are looking to sell and move closer to Charlotte (thinking Fort Mill) so we could say we tried it, and it just did not fit us. I find it is hard to be so far from family and friends. That is also something people really just never think is going to impact them that much. We will be going up every school break, but it is just not enough. I need to be near the shore, great museums, lots of diversity, a descent butcher, and so on. I have friends that have left the NE and love living in Charlotte, Atlanta, and Tampa. I just happen to be one of those that can't deal with the differences.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:09 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,739,048 times
Yes the difference between the rural south and the rural north is MUCH great than the differences between the suburban and urban areas in the north and south.
In Clover, there won't be many transplants, whereas it's difficult to meet a native Charlottean in Charlotte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or