Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:23 AM

156 posts, read 309,466 times

Advertisements

Good morning Forum

Are there many northerners who moved to NC only to want to move back? There are so many wonderful things about my area but I still want to go back to NY. Just curious if others have a similar experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 11:15 AM

43 posts, read 96,806 times
Yes, it happened to me about a year ago and I'm sort of conflicted about it. The dream job that I had moved down there for didn't work out exactly as expected, so I left voluntarily. Because I still had an unsold house up here, back I came. And now I'm pondering if I acted too hastily, because (a) this last miserable NY winter was worse than the 90 degree heat and humidity I experienced during my time in Charlotte and (b) the business climate up here just isn't very promising. I probably should have toughed it out and resolved the problems I was having down in NC .

So if you can afford to spend some time thinking things over, I'd advise you to not burn any bridges and don't pull up whatever roots you have down there. The homesickness you feel for NY might pass. HTH.

Last edited by skyhawk55; 06-26-2014 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-26-2014, 11:23 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,126 times
That's not unusual. Often people don't realize how much they miss what's familiar and things they take for granted "back home". I moved to AZ one time thinking I would enjoy living there. I did, but there was so much I missed (like deciduous trees and my Mama) that I moved back after a year.

NC is very different from LI. I can see how you would have mover's remorse.

I think it's important to do a pro and con list on paper. See what it looks like in black and white. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:55 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,865 times
I have only been here a year (moved from Long Island, NY) and am still settling in. Whenever I get nostalgic for NY, I watch the "NY1" news channel to remind myself why I left and the feelings pass.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:23 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
That's not unusual. Often people don't realize how much they miss what's familiar and things they take for granted "back home". I moved to AZ one time thinking I would enjoy living there. I did, but there was so much I missed (like deciduous trees and my Mama) that I moved back after a year.

NC is very different from LI. I can see how you would have mover's remorse.

I think it's important to do a pro and con list on paper. See what it looks like in black and white. Good luck.
Sue, when were you in AZ and where did you live?

Old 06-27-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Sue, when were you in AZ and where did you live?
In Pinetop. I liked it fine. Nice people.I had a good job. Beautiful area. I was there in 95 and 96.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:01 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
In Pinetop. I liked it fine. Nice people.I had a good job. Beautiful area. I was there in 95 and 96.
You moved back to NC from AZ? I moved from NC to AZ! I lived in Phoenix when we first moved here, but now live in Chandler. I do miss NC.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:23 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Good morning Forum

Are there many northerners who moved to NC only to want to move back? There are so many wonderful things about my area but I still want to go back to NY. Just curious if others have a similar experience.
Moved from CT to Charlotte 7 years ago. Moved back to CT 2 years ago. I liked Charlotte, but the south is such a different animal from the north. Much happier up here. I tolerate cold weather better and this summer has been just glorious here. Worth every bit of a cold January. I will say this though OP..you will get a bit of shock from the higher COL if you move back. That is not gonna change. Money goes so much further down there.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
You moved back to NC from AZ? I moved from NC to AZ! I lived in Phoenix when we first moved here, but now live in Chandler. I do miss NC.
I'm so glad I did that. I enjoyed it and drove all over the place. I get the attraction. But I couldn't get a garden to really grow and it's too landlocked for me.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:59 PM

515 posts, read 1,036,905 times
Would definitely move back up but the COL is too high in MA...waiting a few years and may move to NH or possibly check out CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte