U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:46 PM

49 posts, read 83,953 times

Advertisements

[quote=MikeyKid;35481720]As a percentage, it is huge - I won't argue that... But I tried to use some context related to how reasonable the taxes were to this point. It went up this big because they haven't raised them even when they were supposed to for covering previous bond(s). When they didn't raise them as agreed, of course we see a single bigger spike to catch-up.

I jumped on MLS and looked at the latest report for median sales as a way to determine the big picture impact across the whole county. Of course you'll see higher (much higher) in certain pockets. But remember "median" is a good statistical indicator because you have the same number of homes selling below as you do above that. Yes, people on fixed incomes will be disproportionately impacted by an increase, but it's highly doubtful they spent $1M+ and are living in PDS. They are more likely to be buying closer to median. If you double the $213k home @ about an increase of $12 a month, you're looking at about $25 a month increase for a $425,000 home... Not exact, just estimating to try and put context on the giant percentage you keep bolding.

I agree that we get less services than Meck for our tax dollars - no doubt. I wish we had their parks, etc. But, again it's not a surprise as we knew what was happening right before our eyes. The lawsuit is not going to stay at $91M - it will get settled lower. So yes we will see a spike due to it, but it won't be sky's falling as bad as you are trying to make it. It's kind of like the people who got redistricted and are complaining that the new budget is to pay for the schools to handle the redistricted kids... when we all know from the lawsuit that the planned upgrades were happening regardless - the additional costs for schools were not a result of the redistricting. Let's hope we get a good BOCC to plan out our future.

I rented while I built... I pay the same taxes on a horribly over assessed home like everyone else.[

MikeyKid, I couldn't agree more with your bolded statement. So true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
That's only half the story. Unincorporated Mecklenburg also has a police service district rate of 19.37, making the tax rates for 2014:

Unincorporated Mecklenburg: $1.0094
City of Charlotte: $1.2844
Cornelius: $1.0557
Davidson: $1.1657
Huntersville: $1.0982
Matthews: $1.1332
Mint Hill: $1.0857
Pineville: $1.1357

Union County is still 25% lower than Mecklenburg.

source: http://charlottechamber.com/clientup...ty_tax_ex4.pdf
I was only comparing the main counties tax rates, and not any other towns tax rates on top of that. As others have pointed out on here, when you add some of the other towns tax rates in Union County (i.e. Monroe - $1.3164 ) to the base tax rate of the County, some of those people will be paying more than the people in the City of Charlotte - $1.2844. So Union County is not 25% lower than Mecklenburg. In some cases it is already higher.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:06 PM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whathousingrecovery? View Post
I was only comparing the main counties tax rates, and not any other towns tax rates on top of that. As others have pointed out on here, when you add some of the other towns tax rates in Union County (i.e. Monroe - $1.3164 ) to the base tax rate of the County, some of those people will be paying more than the people in the City of Charlotte - $1.2844. So Union County is not 25% lower than Mecklenburg. In some cases it is already higher.
You really need to re-read The Emissary's post. He posted the rates that he pays in Monroe.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You really need to re-read The Emissary's post. He posted the rates that he pays in Monroe.
Monroe is located within Union County. Union County base tax rate .7614 plus the City of Monroe's tax rate of .5550. Total $1.3164

Mecklenburg County base tax rate .8157 plus the City of Charlotte's tax rate .4687. Total $1.2844.

He pays more in property taxes than someone that lives in the the City of Charlotte.

Confused on your point??

Old 07-02-2014, 08:02 PM

515 posts, read 905,921 times
Developers make the profit and dump the infrastructure burden on the tax payer...

Old 07-02-2014, 08:24 PM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whathousingrecovery? View Post
Monroe is located within Union County. Union County base tax rate .7614 plus the City of Monroe's tax rate of .5550. Total $1.3164

Mecklenburg County base tax rate .8157 plus the City of Charlotte's tax rate .4687. Total $1.2844.

He pays more in property taxes than someone that lives in the the City of Charlotte.

Confused on your point??
Your statement was that the $1.3164 was added to the base rate. Apparently that was not what you intended.
Tell me if you have expressed your indignation to the county board about a lack of effort to attract rateables.
A long time ago someone explained to me that rateables keep the property taxes down. It works. I have seen the results over the years.
Residential development brings taxes & the cost of additional schools. Retail helps, but the big money comes from industrial rateables.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:08 AM

44,352 posts, read 17,707,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
  • Yet another UCPS BOE lawsuit
LOL. If they must, then I say "bring it on". The local legal professions will love the business. They utterly failed at their first attempt, paid a lot of money for this privilege, and if they are silly enough to do it again then I recommend they go look up that old adage about Insanity. I'm surprised they have enough credibility left that anyone pays attention to them now.

As to the rest of the the bullets, that was coming whether the BOE did redistricting or not. I continue to be amazed at the delusion that exists with some that you can have continuous growth in bedroom communities and strip malls without consequences. At some point it begins to fall apart and that point is now.

This has been repeated endlessly throughout the Sunbelt. UC is but the latest example. Proper planning would have prevented it, but that it didn't happen the solutions to the problems, like redistricting and higher taxes, are going to be abrupt and shocking. Nothing new about that either. As said earlier in another topic, this is just the beginning.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 AM

527 posts, read 636,501 times
Yes, the issues are related to poor planning. But what is the incentive to improve the process when you have citizens defending the very people that are doing the planning (or lack thereof)? To sit back and say "should have seen it coming, suck it up" or "our taxes still aren't too bad", is at best apathetic and at worst condoning and perpetuating the problem.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:09 AM

30 posts, read 43,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Developers make the profit and dump the infrastructure burden on the tax payer...
So, so true. As an alternative to recruiting or stimulating corporate (tax-base) growth, why hasn't more effort been put forth in basic zoning control? Such as .... you can build only 30 homes (with actual acreage) on a given plot, instead of 100+.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:39 AM

44,352 posts, read 17,707,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
.... To sit back and say "should have seen it coming, suck it up" or "our taxes still aren't too bad", is at best apathetic and at worst condoning and perpetuating the problem.
I don't think so. To fix a problem you first have to identify said problem and accept that it exists.

What is "apathetic at best and at worst condoning and perpetuating the problem", is the constant lamenting over the BOE's decision to redistrict. It's done, it's over with, and it's happening. The people who are still going on about it, haven't accepted that anything needs changing, and I'm sure will continue to make themselves miserable every time reality interferes with their view of the universe. Regardless, and sadly, there won't be any solutions coming from this crowd. Just more falderal instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or