U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 05:17 PM

49 posts, read 83,953 times

Advertisements

Union County commissioners OK 15.4% tax hike | CharlotteObserver.com

Wow! I really didn't think it would be that much - 15.4%. First the school debacle, and now this huge increase in the property tax bill.

Union Co. commissioners blame school district for tax hike

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...te-hike/ngXLX/

Last edited by whathousingrecovery?; 07-01-2014 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 06:57 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,658,858 times
Bound to go up. Taxes still reasonable, schools need the money for growth and I have no kids in school..

Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 PM

Bound to go up........15.4%? Really?
Mecklenburg County is only 5 cents more per $100 assessed value at 81.57 cents. Heck, they at least have garbage pick up unlike Union County where you have to pay for it.
Cabarrus County is only 70 cents per $100 assessed value. Union County will now be at 76.14 cents per $100

Throw on top of that the increases in the water/sewer rates the next 3 years, rezoning of the schools, and you have the perfect storm for home values, and businesses opening in different counties.

Last edited by whathousingrecovery?; 07-01-2014 at 07:37 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 10:07 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,410,081 times
I'm not sure why this is a shock... we knew it was coming. 15.4% sounds huge.

YTD median sales price in Union County = $213,500

$213,500 @ 76.14 per 100 = $1,625 which is about $150 a year more now... or loosely $12 a month.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 AM

LOL.... 15.4% increase in property taxes in 1 year is huge Mikey.

I like how you used a house that was valued at $213,500 and said that it would only see a property tax increase of $150 per year, and used this years YTD in sales price to get that value for home prices. What percentage of homes in Union County will have a tax assessed value of only $213,500 or less? Most will be valued higher some much higher. This is going to hurt people especially those on fixed incomes. I think people expected property taxes to go up, but not by such a large margin in one year.
Getting property tax levels near or above the surrounding counties, while offering less services, will only hurt home values and local businesses. If you were to add the yearly fee that a homeowner has to pay for the garbage pickup into the equation, some homeowners would be paying pretty close to the same Mecklenburg County property tax rate after this increase by Union County.

Lastly, if the County loses the appeal on the lawsuit from the School Board, get ready to get another property tax hike in 2016 , and possibly pay more property taxes than Mecklenburg County. Whoever would have thought that a few years ago?

Just curious, did you buy a house in Union County or are you still renting?

Last edited by whathousingrecovery?; 07-02-2014 at 02:34 AM..

Old 07-02-2014, 05:31 AM

451 posts, read 608,177 times
This increase and the future increases should not be a shock to anyone who has been following the budget process and the BoCC/BOE/UCPS saga. It was caused by unchecked residential growth without a corresponding increase in the commercial tax base (unlike Mecklenburg and other surrounding counties), no tax increases after the 2007 bond issue as originally proposed, and last but not least the ongoing conflict between BoCC and the UCPS. That conflict is now off the table thanks to your state representatives who refuse to stay out of local issues and give us House Bill 292-Ratified which legislates UCPS funding levels and formulas without any real county control for the next couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
With regard to tax increases I would start with what Yates outlined on June 20th to the Chamber of Commerce...

http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/...er06202014.pdf

Tax Rate Projection
FY 2014 66.00
FY 2015 75.41
FY 2016 76.54
FY 2017 77.70
FY 2018 78.89
FY 2019 80.12
FY 2020 81.39

And for the Verdict...

For FY 2015 Budget Development it was not Considered.
• County cannot fund the remaining $76.2 million of the verdict without a tax increase.
– Cannot cut enough to fund the verdict.
– Utility Funds should not be used for this purpose.
– Projects are underway.
• Tax impact of remaining verdict = 32 cents
The interesting thing here is that the video from Monday night's meeting doesn't work. Of all the meetings over the past few years and it's this one that has no video. Cost cutting at the county level has obviously begun.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:55 AM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,713,298 times
I am stunned you guys are stunned. With rampant growth, someone has to pay for the meteoric increase in services.

Like the man at the prop shop told the two guys with the bent prop, "Boys, if you want to play, you gonna have to pay."

Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 AM

547 posts, read 535,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I am stunned you guys are stunned. With rampant growth, someone has to pay for the meteoric increase in services.

Like the man at the prop shop told the two guys with the bent prop, "Boys, if you want to play, you gonna have to pay."

I'm not stunned just outraged that the poor and elderly who are in no way responsible are going to have to sacrifice to pay for the out of control growth and some people's unreasonable expectations for level of services. Much of Union County has nothing to do with the growth. Why should residents of Marshville, Wingate, New Salem, Roughedge, Alton, Trinity, etc. pay for growth in Waxhaw, Weddington, Indian Trail, and Stallings?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:24 AM

21,858 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whathousingrecovery? View Post
Bound to go up........15.4%? Really?
Mecklenburg County is only 5 cents more per $100 assessed value at 81.57 cents. Heck, they at least have garbage pick up unlike Union County where you have to pay for it.
Cabarrus County is only 70 cents per $100 assessed value. Union County will now be at 76.14 cents per $100

Throw on top of that the increases in the water/sewer rates the next 3 years, rezoning of the schools, and you have the perfect storm for home values, and businesses opening in different counties.
Why does it surprise you? A Union County poster & I had a discussion 2 or 3 years ago that this would inevitably happen unless Union County started aggressively recruiting industry.
I'm sorry for people on fixed incomes. I don't see a halt unless the county starts recruiting different development. Believe me, I'm not saying this to be mean or because I want more competition for my county.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:29 AM

162 posts, read 350,695 times
I'm not shocked at all either. All you people who moved there in droves knew it was going to have to happen. How was the infrastructure going to support the boom in population? When I sold our house and moved to our new one, all I heard from EVERYONE was you really should have moved to Union county, why did you stay in Charlotte? Well, your tax rate will now be almost the same as mine, and I get more and better services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or