U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:23 AM

616 posts, read 1,568,939 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in your opinion or what you've heard from others. How distasteful is it to hear traffic noise from where you live?

Let me explain. I am seriously considering a home in Gastonia. I can see myself in it, it is very well kept, needs modernizing of surfaces, all mechanicals are in great shape. New HVAC, plumbing, additional insulation. Nice neighborhood, tidy, pretty, treesy. BUT, it is near 74, near the malls, and I can hear traffic. Of course, this was at 7 pm last night, work traffic, Christmas shoppers, folks going out to dinner - all that was happening.

I am used to no traffic noise - I moved here from rural western NC. Even when I lived in Cincinnati, in an urban situation, I was back in a little neighborhood where there was no background traffic roar. My dream is to get back to that situation, and the house I buy now is my step-stone to that dream.

I'm thinking that this home's convenience to shopping, drug stores, banks, hospital, 74, 85, and so on may be a plus for the future buyer of my home. Not everyone wants what I want - for many this convenience would be a plus.

So what's your opinion, your experience, concerning traffic noise in the background? The home does not sit on a main street, the address itself is a very low key street.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:43 AM

70 posts, read 175,081 times
It's not quite the same but I lived on a high traffic street for a while and I found that the noise was really having an adverse impact on my stress level. Assume the loudest you've ever heard it is as loud as it will be all the time.
Like anything else, it's personel preference. I wouldn't have even gotten out of the realtors car if I heard background traffic, all other considerations would have gone right out the window.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:44 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,795,380 times
I have lived in places with traffic nearby and you do get used to it. I lived in an apartment near a busy intersection in North Buffalo. You get used to it fast. The only time it would bother me is if there were ambulances or emergency vehicles in the nmiddle of the night that would wake me up. I sleep with a fan on anyway to drown some of the stuff out. Now I sleep with a fan or humidifier on to drown out the quietness where I'm at.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:52 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,676,518 times
I was or am going through the same thing, a house I liked was in an area close to 85 and I could hear it, but faintly, I was half mile away. I drove another quarter of a mile and I could still hear it. On a nice night, I think highway traffic goes far. Now this was outside and 85 and 74 won't be slow at really anytime, they are main drags. The key for me was could I hear them inside. And no I couldn't. For me that was the most important. So if you can hear them inside is it the insulation? the windows? That would bug me.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:00 AM

616 posts, read 1,568,939 times
Good point, Whytewulf. I can hear nothing from inside, except the sounds of silence. :-)

I usually garden in the very early morning, and that's when I like relative quiet. Otherwise, when I'm playing with the dogs, mowing the lawn, grilling, it scarcely matters.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:06 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,722,506 times
I live right on 5th St (Uptown). You get use to the noise and don't even pay it any attention. I even enjoy the trains that go by like every 30 minutes too.

My cat, that is a different story. Every day we hear at least 20 fire trucks, ambulances, or police cars. He use to run in from the balcony when he heard a siren, now he just watches them go down the street. And we can also hear sirens 1 block over on Trade St. too. You get use to it. Plus I sleep with a clean air machine on.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:09 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,445,233 times
I've lived on a four-lane for the past years. When I first moved in, I had a little trouble adjusting. After a few months, I was over it.

If you like the house, go fo it.

You could have to be listening to a bunch of loud stereos 24/7 like I do.

I guess some people have trouble grasping the concept that they are the only ones who want to hear that crap at 4am. Oh well.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:33 PM

142 posts, read 559,988 times
I live in Suuth Florida and my home is close to a main road. The regular traffic doesnt bother me, but every now and then I get a loud motorcycle or little honda with loud exhausr screamin by with the accelerator wide open and it's a bother. I can't leave my windows open on the weekends because if a screaming motor wakes me up at 2 in the morning I am so friggin pissed off, I can't go back to bed. I have lived near freeways before and that didnt bother me at all.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:40 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,676,518 times
The only thing also is resale value, if you are buying, as you are asking this questions, so may others and they may have a different opinion.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:55 PM

30,230 posts, read 67,385,459 times
Don't you folks have sound barriers along your freeways? Here in Pennsylvania residential areas are shielded from traffic noise by large sound-proof barriers along the roadsides.

http://www.quilite.com/opt1.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or