U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 04:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
You mean Wadesboro I assume?
This is true by hour and half. Im not a fan on Google Earth , I preferred the Google traditional map it was easier to zoom in to determine how many lanes. Once were past the stop & go in Monroe the travel on Hwy 74 is easy going plus the beauty of this state Sandhills.
It is partial interstate from Rockingham to Lumberton. IMO it would be at least 20 years if their was interstate. The idea of Hwy 74 being a complete interstate could become more of reality if Wilmington would dredge and expand it port especially when the new Panama Canal is completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 05:15 PM

44,352 posts, read 17,716,609 times
I drove that 74 route from Wadesboro to CLT last Tuesday around 1pm or so. A vast understatement, but that is a stressful drive. I saw two wrecks, the traffic often came to a dead stop, trucks galore, and lots of really bad drivers. It's not something that I would care to do that often. Ironically the easiest part of that drive was once I got to Charlotte.

I think the best way to the coast is to take I-77 South to Columbia, then 26 East to the Charleston area. There are plenty of fine beaches there, and it's only about 3 hours away. Shame that it isn't easier to the NC coast though. There are lots of nice beaches that way too, but we almost never go there because of the roads.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:32 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I drove that 74 route from Wadesboro to CLT last Tuesday around 1pm or so. A vast understatement, but that is a stressful drive. I saw two wrecks, the traffic often came to a dead stop, trucks galore, and lots of really bad drivers. It's not something that I would care to do that often. Ironically the easiest part of that drive was once I got to Charlotte.

I think the best way to the coast is to take I-77 South to Columbia, then 26 East to the Charleston area. There are plenty of fine beaches there, and it's only about 3 hours away. Shame that it isn't easier to the NC coast though. There are lots of nice beaches that way too, but we almost never go there because of the roads.
Take 218. From the east/northeast it's shorter, heck considering the traffic on 74 even passing the exit for 74 on 485 from the south/west probably doesn't add much time.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:53 PM

489 posts, read 726,725 times
I just drove it yesterday. It was terrible. The most annoying part was how often the speed limit changes, even when you're not driving through a town. I wasn't paying too much attention, but maybe it was changing every time you enter a new county? Monroe bypass will make a big difference in time, and once you're past that, it isn't too bad. Just the damn constant changing of the speed limit will be my biggest complaint.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:11 PM

5,102 posts, read 5,964,111 times
Quote:
I preferred the Google traditional map
You can still use the old maps. I like the old ones for similar reasons. Just click on the question mark on the bottom of the current Google map.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:39 PM

900 posts, read 1,396,234 times
Driving from Charlotte to Wilmington is a terrible.

Last edited by USCRugbyNo1; 07-08-2014 at 11:25 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 02:09 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,639,458 times
I drive the Charlotte-Wilmington route freqently because of all the solar farms in the eastern part of the state, so I can contribute to this.

One of the big factors is where in or near Charlotte you are starting from? It makes a huge difference if someone is starting near huntersville, or if they are starting somwhere like in Waxhaw/Weddington.....

74 i know like the back of my hand. Charlotte via 74 to Monroe (near 601) is a royal PIA because of all the lights. Once you get past 601 it opens up somewhat until you get to marshville where you have to do 35/45 mph...then it slows down again once you get into Wadesboro. Once past Wadesboro, its pretty smooth sailing through Rockingham then out to Laurinburg, then through Lumberton....speeds of 70mph is common!

If you are in Charlotte or NORTH, like a poster said earlier, you could take 218 from 485 and bypass all of western union county and spill into wadesboro....that's a HUGE help

If you are SOUTH, you can take 75 or 84 from waxhaw/weddington and spill onto 74 by 601. Not great, but you avoid a ton of traffic...

85 to 40 i would only do if I was way north of charlotte and going to Wilmington or points north...other than that, its way out of the way.....

Old 07-09-2014, 02:18 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,073,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
Driving from Charlotte to Wilmington is a terrible.
A terrible what?

I don't mind it once I get past Randy Travis' hometown. My wife likes it once we get past there, too, because I talk about how great Black Dog was all the way through Marshville.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:31 PM

21,868 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I just don't understand why Charlotte doesn't have a direct limited access highway all the way to
Wilmington or the coast that doesn't involve driving north first...

I know that portions of 74 will be upgraded, but it's not for the entire stretch that I am aware of

add to that similar access to Asheville....

Aside from the usual Raleigh gets better/more highways type of responses that I expect might come from such a question... why hasn't this happened? Is something even planned??

Thanks
Eventually, 74 is supposed to go from Asheville to the coast. I'm not sure when that will occur.

As of now, 74 runs through Belmont As Wilkinson Blvd & it's Franklin Blvd in Gastonia. Because of the topography in Kings Mountain that bypass functions as it should. Because of retail clutter in Shelby, they have to make a 2nd bypass. If they're ever going to get it up to speed they'll have to build bypasses in Gaston County.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:44 PM

44,352 posts, read 17,716,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Eventually, 74 is supposed to go from Asheville to the coast. I'm not sure when that will occur....
Hwy 74 has connected Asheville to the coast for many decades. It's not an easy drive for sure, but it is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or