U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 09:15 AM

19 posts, read 94,464 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill next week (the 26th to the 30th) as a possible place to relocate, but I've recently been told to visit Charlotte also, as it might be a better fit for me. I've read many of the other threads, but would like a few more opinions as well as suggestions of what to see in both cities...

I'm a 29 year old single professional (dentist) looking to move to a larger city with more singles my age and that has more things to do than where I currently live (Birmingham, Alabama). From what I've read, many people seem to think the Raleigh area is better suited to families, while Charlotte might be better for singles...is this a good generalization? I've read that the Uptown area of Charlotte is a good area with lots of things going on....my question is are there any houses/townhomes in that area that have a backyard for my dog, but that are still close to everything? What area around Uptown would I want to consider renting or buying a place (my price range would probably be around $1500 for rent, and I'm guessing $200,000 to $300,000 to buy....though I haven't really researched this much).

My other question is about things to do while I'm visiting both these cities. I'll probably only be in Charlotte for a day since I had planned the trip for Chapel Hill originally and decided last minute to drive down to Charlotte for a day. My sister (age 30) will be accompanying me, and I'd like to know some nice restaurants to try and must-see things in the city, especially in the Uptown area....I'm not really looking to do the nightclub thing....I was thinking something more low-key....dinner at a nice restaurant, local events, etc. Any suggstions for Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill would be much appreciated also.

Sorry, I know this is a lot to ask of you all...I'm trying to research as much as I can, but it's a slightly overwhelming process and I was hoping for a little guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:26 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,528,475 times
My son, also a professional unfamiliar with Charlotte, visited last summer for the first time in several years. he really was impressed with Southend. There seems to be loads of professional people there and lots of restaurants, clubs, light rail, and walking distance to downtown. Prices are within the parameter that you mentioned. Be sure to check it out.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:01 AM

Thank you for the reply...I'll be sure to explore that area.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,054,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghannah22 View Post
I'm visiting Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill next week (the 26th to the 30th) as a possible place to relocate, but I've recently been told to visit Charlotte also, as it might be a better fit for me. I've read many of the other threads, but would like a few more opinions as well as suggestions of what to see in both cities...

I'm a 29 year old single professional (dentist) looking to move to a larger city with more singles my age and that has more things to do than where I currently live (Birmingham, Alabama). From what I've read, many people seem to think the Raleigh area is better suited to families, while Charlotte might be better for singles...is this a good generalization? I've read that the Uptown area of Charlotte is a good area with lots of things going on....my question is are there any houses/townhomes in that area that have a backyard for my dog, but that are still close to everything? What area around Uptown would I want to consider renting or buying a place (my price range would probably be around $1500 for rent, and I'm guessing $200,000 to $300,000 to buy....though I haven't really researched this much).

My other question is about things to do while I'm visiting both these cities. I'll probably only be in Charlotte for a day since I had planned the trip for Chapel Hill originally and decided last minute to drive down to Charlotte for a day. My sister (age 30) will be accompanying me, and I'd like to know some nice restaurants to try and must-see things in the city, especially in the Uptown area....I'm not really looking to do the nightclub thing....I was thinking something more low-key....dinner at a nice restaurant, local events, etc. Any suggstions for Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill would be much appreciated also.

Sorry, I know this is a lot to ask of you all...I'm trying to research as much as I can, but it's a slightly overwhelming process and I was hoping for a little guidance.
Try to visit the famous Penguin for lunch - best hamburger in town. It is right outside of uptown Charlotte just off Central Avenue. You will get a good taste of the uptown neighborhood vibe there.

1921 Commonwealth Ave
Charlotte, NC 28205
(704) 375-6959

Old 12-28-2007, 04:50 PM

I drove into Charlotte today and I love this city!!! The Uptown area looks like so much fun and I've driven around and looked at some of the townhomes/condos near Uptown-there's one neighborhood that looks so cute, so I'll be exploring it more tomorrow.

Thanks for your responses so far....I had one more question though. Are there any townhomes, houses, or such very near Uptown with backyards for my dog. I haven't really seen any so far. As I said in another post....rent would probably be between 1000-2000, purchasing between 200,000- 300,000. Thanks!

Heather

Old 12-28-2007, 05:16 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,512,591 times
There are many nice homes/townhomes in your price range!

How close to uptown do you need/want to be? There several townhome communities in the Steele Creek area. Most have small yards that can be fenced in. There are also a lot of neighborhoods with single family homes. To get to Steele Creek, just go south on Tryon Street.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the reply NCgirl. I would like to be as close to Uptown as possible...within walking distance to the restaurants, museums, etc...I have never lived close (walking distance) to a downtown area of a city before and would like to try it, at least for awhile. I love the Fourth Ward area (I read that it's one of the most affluent areas though, so more expensive). I loved that there were parks and tree lined streets, but the skyline was visible from the condos and houses and I could walk into the city from there. It seemed like such a nice neighborhood to take my dog for a walk, sit in the park and read a book, but also to be close to everything.

I also loved the Dilworth area, but it might be a too far away from the city for me right now...I know it's only a short drive, but I was hoping to live like a "city girl" for awhile. The area I live in now is very similar to Dilworth and I enjoy it, but I would like to try something different when I move. I would probably want to move to somewhere like Dilworth or Myers Park after a few years....I loved the cottage style and Craftsman style houses with the beautiful tree-lined streets. I am open to any suggestions from people who know the area better, however....

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm a single, 29yo female professional, and I want to be in a convenient location to participate in the Charlotte nightlife and meet many new people. Any opinions on where people around my age tend to live when they move to Charlotte? Advice on organizations in which to get involved once I move? CHOA? Any other groups that involve lots of newcomers and young professionals?

Thanks again for everyone's help...I am in love with the city and am so excited about finding out more about it....

I plan to visit again in the next month or two, so I'll check out the Steele Creek area.

Heather

P.S. My sister kept calling Tryon St "Tyrone St" and now it's stuck in my head....Tryon was harder for her to say I guess, but now I know I'm going to always think of it as Tyrone St...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or