U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:19 PM

136 posts, read 157,435 times

Advertisements

UCPS won it's funding by ultimatum and brinksmanship for years. At this point, I fear it knows no other way. Raleigh intervened to set the formula for a few years, but the schools are already dreaming of their next big $ winnings. Former Supt. Davis spoke repeatedly about the upcoming "financial cliff." They charged straight on at full throttle -spending, spending, and expecting a bailout somehow/somewhere. They can plan on a bailout in 2016 or 2017, but it won't come. I promise.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:35 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,434,459 times
Don't forget that UCPS and the BOE believe they have $91M (minus about 10 or so they got so far) coming... It's realistic to think the number will come down when the appeal is done, but it's going to be a large number. What's worse is that through the new legislation preventing the boards from suing each other, the BOCC lost the line item oversight for exactly how the BOE spends the buckets. Without that oversight, the BOE can shift monies around freely... I think that is hugely significant and has been lost in the noise.

CJ - You've thought I started sipping the koolaid in the past or my account was hijacked... that post almost makes me think the same of you. I've railed about transparency from the beginning and I agree with many of your points. However, it's idealistic to believe it will ever get to an acceptable level. You were always the voice murmuring in the background "look at history for your answers"... where did that guy go?

Old 07-15-2014, 09:45 AM

547 posts, read 537,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post

The video of the tax increase from the BoCC is missing online and garbled when you try and watch it on TWC.
The video link for last night's meeting is not working for me either.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 AM

451 posts, read 609,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
The video link for last night's meeting is not working for me either.
Finally found the UC YouTube Channel, no more watching UCTV or the agenda site...

UnionCountyNC - YouTube

Here is last night...

July 14 BOCC Meeting - YouTube

Here is the tax increase...

June 30 BOCC Meeting - YouTube

Old 07-15-2014, 11:49 AM

Thanks. I'll have to bookmark it. I couldn't find it with an Internet search.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:16 PM

451 posts, read 609,604 times
The word tonight is feckless...

Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I'm going to go with "whew." Now, if we just get this CAPS craziness put to rest this week, people might settle down for a while. Well, at least until the BOCC appeal hearing and we get a little closer to the BOE election.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 PM

631 posts, read 738,213 times
Quote:
Surprising. I thought it would be closer and definitely thought there'd be higher turnout (even in the summer vacation season). What happen to all 10,000 signatures on that petition months ago??? Or didn't all those people actually live in UC?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Surprising. I thought it would be closer and definitely thought there'd be higher turnout (even in the summer vacation season). What happen to all 10,000 signatures on that petition months ago??? Or didn't all those people actually live in UC?
I think this proves that despite how loud they are, they are the minority. UC citizens showed that they wanted positive leaders rather than a group that wanted to rebrand UC (except when they got confused and voted for Lance because his last name was Simpson).

Old 07-16-2014, 09:22 PM

136 posts, read 157,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
I think this proves that despite how loud they are, they are the minority. UC citizens showed that they wanted positive leaders rather than a group that wanted to rebrand UC (except when they got confused and voted for Lance because his last name was Simpson).
Still, TooLogical's point is legitimate. None of the primary votes (or runoff) indicate a particularly motivated electorate. I didn't really see a vote of affirmation of positive leaders on Tuesday, more a vote of repudiation. None of the candidates swept the primary with a mandate (or even with an identifiable agenda). Rather, the UC GOP voters demonstrated skepticism about handing the reins over to anyone with divisive or destructive impulses (or tied to groups of supporters with those leanings). The lesson I take from Tuesday's vote is that a divisive strategy ("Good for Weddington," "Good for Waxhaw") drives people away from your campaign (and away from the polls). A few very upset people can make a lot of noise, but don't make a movement.

I see a risk that county leaders will view this as a vote in favor of returning to a culture of cronyism. The same folks will hold County seats (plus one new face with a familiar name!). Times have changed though. The public now demands an open window into the decision-making process - we want to know who's making decisions and how influence is earned. I'm interested to see how these lessons are carried forward into the fall political season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or