U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:35 PM

451 posts, read 608,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
CJ - You've thought I started sipping the koolaid in the past or my account was hijacked... that post almost makes me think the same of you. I've railed about transparency from the beginning and I agree with many of your points. However, it's idealistic to believe it will ever get to an acceptable level. You were always the voice murmuring in the background "look at history for your answers"... where did that guy go?
With the 1st day of school here, I've thought this more than a few times over the past few months..

I think all elected officials, unelected candidates, family and admin should stay off FB and all social media for that matter. Especially the BoCC, BOE, and senior admin members, friends and family debating policy. It should be law. How one manages policy or runs ones office is not for social media including FB and CD. We can all play games. Some better than others.

I don't want to hammer BOE members over the status of a road to nowhere, ask or expose BOE candidates and their supporters about past emails to the UCPS, the current BOE or idiots on the Internet, or question the UC financial leaders at church or over open houses over account codes or budget assumptions. Leave it to the office.

The Internet and all of social media is subject manipulation as we all know. The Electorate doesn't FB as a body. CD can be effective thanks to Google as some know but its not the electorate.

Yes, a bit naive, but we will see how long this stays open until hijacked and closed by the usual suspects.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:40 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,412,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
With the 1st day of school here, I've thought this more than a few times over the past few months..

I think all elected officials, unelected candidates, family and admin should stay off FB and all social media for that matter. Especially the BoCC, BOE, and senior admin members, friends and family debating policy. It should be law. How one manages policy or runs ones office is not for social media including FB and CD. We can all play games. Some better than others.

I don't want to hammer BOE members over the status of a road to nowhere, ask or expose BOE candidates and their supporters about past emails to the UCPS, the current BOE or idiots on the Internet, or question the UC financial leaders at church or over open houses over account codes or budget assumptions. Leave it to the office.

The Internet and all of social media is subject manipulation as we all know. The Electorate doesn't FB as a body. CD can be effective thanks to Google as some know but its not the electorate.

Yes, a bit naive, but we will see how long this stays open until hijacked and closed by the usual suspects.
I really wish we can keep an open thread going on here relative to UC politics. It is worth the debate and discussion for the sake of the county's future.

I don't and won't FB, definitely no posting... but I don't read much either. I honestly lose respect for people as most posts fall under either BragBook (LOOK HOW GREAT MY LIFE IS), some level of pandering to someone, or my personal favorite (not) of ranting about some inane national politics that makes me wonder if they have any clue what so ever... I simply don't have the patience for it.

I frankly don't see how discussing upcoming elections and the status of the electorate here is an issue. We should be able to do it. For those of us with a long posting history here, it isn't about "hiding" on this forum. We've been posting here for a long time about these topics.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:15 PM

136 posts, read 157,218 times
Quote:

I’m more concerned about the folks on social media trying to block out opposing voices, shutting down dissent, and proclaiming to speak for ‘their side.’ We all have multiple sides and each have our own perspectives and opinions. I don’t expect anyone else speak for me. At the same time, I'm interested to hear what others (elected or not) have to say about how we can improve our local govt. I’ve learned from our debate, and have admitted that I changed some of my views with perspective gained here.

I’m no constitutional lawyer, but your proposed “Sunshine Law” prohibiting public officials, family, or friends from social media doesn’t sound very… constitutional. (I like the ironic name, but we’d better run it by our resident constitutional lawyer, Waldo). Politicians play games and always have. Politics on social media just adds to the degree of difficulty. With so many eyes always watching, integrity is on the line with every post. Someone is always around to witness any sleight-of-hand or attempt to play both sides of the field. Every gambit can just as easily backfire.

Someone online is always crying “Wolf!” Social media will spread that rumor just as quickly as it can put that rumor to rest (sometimes there is a wolf, usually only a cry for attention). Open forums do a better job sorting it out than FB communities run by political candidates. I’m still able to follow the discussion here despite the trolls, flame-wars, and attempts to silence the open forum by constantly petitioning the ref (sometimes worse than watching Coach K.).

Old 08-26-2014, 05:46 PM

631 posts, read 736,341 times
I hope this thread can continue for a while, as well. It's good to hear the various sides/perspectives of many issues, especially with the elections coming up.

As for schools, it sounds like CMS and UCPS both had their share of snafu's on day 1, but there were improvements today. The 20 day enrollment numbers for both systems will be important to understand next steps. How close is CMS to a redistricting, and what impact did the population growth (and movers/transfers) have on UCPS's predictions. They really should call it reclustering, BTW, because cluster just seems more accurate.

Now stop arguing and slandering basketball coaches, or we'll be shut down again!!!!!!

Old 08-28-2014, 03:24 PM

985 posts, read 1,649,893 times
Union Co. decries $91M ‘runaway verdict,’ outlines appeal claims | CharlotteObserver.com

so thoughts

Old 08-28-2014, 06:17 PM

547 posts, read 535,700 times
Per the briefs, the State legislature, after a court decision published prior to the Union County funding lawsuit, expanded the factors to be considered when determining the amount of funding "legally necessary to support a system of free public schools." The revised statute now reads, "In making the finding, the judge or the jury shall consider the educational goals and policies of the State and the local board of education, the budgetary request of the local board of education, the financial resources of the county and the local board of education, and the fiscal policies of the board of county commissioners and the local board of education." Per the Amicus Curiae brief filed by the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners, "A school board that can use its own policies and procedures to define 'minimum funding levels' under section 115C-431 obtains a blank check drawn upon the county's coffers." It seems like the way the law is written that the necessary funding level would always be deemed to be whatever the Boards of Educations say it is.

This seems to be an issue bigger than Union County. The BOCC can't or won't settle because there is state-wide interest in this; and frankly, the process as outlined in the statute doesn't make sense to me. There seems to be no point to the mediation and litigation process if the amount of funding needed would always be deemed to be whatever local boards request.

It also seems to me that the amount the BOE requested would be the amount "legally necessary." Therefore, I would think the jury verdict would be at most the amount the BOE requested.

However, we haven't seen the BOE brief yet; so perhaps I am not seeing the whole picture. I expect we will see that in the next few weeks.

My interpretation of statue set aside, ultimately, we are going to have to fund the repairs and deferred maintenance at some point regardless of the outcome. We have to maintain our county's assets. It seems to me, we are wasting a lot of taxpayer money debating poorly written state laws in the court system.

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 08-28-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 07:57 PM

So whatever happened to that committee appointed by the BoE and the BoCC?

Old 10-17-2014, 10:01 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,412,612 times
Quote:
I think it's pretty much damage control mode right about now... Election time blues.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:36 PM

547 posts, read 535,700 times
Quote:
The State legislature basically dictated the funding for the next two years, so what exactly is it the working group is supposed to do anyway?

The BOE has now filed its brief with the COA and the NC School Board Association filed an Amicus Curiae Brief. If anyone wants to read them or the BOCC brief filed back in August, they are at The NC Appellate Courts eFiling Site - Search Results .

Old 10-18-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I think it's pretty much damage control mode right about now... Election time blues.
Oh, I have a funny feeling that things are actually going to get very interesting here in the next few weeks. It is Union County after all...

But, hey, what do we know over here in CD? We are the cesspool of social media according to some. Had to check my septic tank today after hearing that one, but it looks and smells ok so we must be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
The State legislature basically dictated the funding for the next two years, so what exactly is it the working group is supposed to do anyway?

The BOE has now filed its brief with the COA and the NC School Board Association filed an Amicus Curiae Brief. If anyone wants to read them or the BOCC brief filed back in August, they are at The NC Appellate Courts eFiling Site - Search Results .
Realize that they need to settle with a long term capital funding plan.

Here are the briefs by the way...

BoCC Appeal
http://www.ncappellatecourts.org/sho...ment_id=156613

UCPS Appeal
http://www.ncappellatecourts.org/sho...ment_id=161691

NCSBA "Friend of the court" brief for UCPS
http://www.ncappellatecourts.org/sho...ment_id=161677

I believe the county has to reply by the 29th but the CAPS legal eagles may be able to help an internet cesspool idiot out with the interpretation of...

Timing of New Reply Brief Rule Still Causing Confusion | NCAPB.com

and

http://www.ncapb.com/wp-content/uplo..._checklist.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or