Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,177 times

Advertisements

My property value just went up 31.1% overnight. Unbelievable! An undeveloped acre lot I bought to keep a wooded small animal and bird sanctuary, not to mention some badly needed treed "green space" in the community, went up a whopping 48.8%. All that translates into an additional $725 property tax liability for 2008, and that's if they don't increase the tax rates this year.

My mere embarrassment over the shameful way our officials abandoned residential property owners and then plied Burton Smith (Lowe's Motor Speedway) with our tax dollars to "make him happy," is slowly burning into anger for now expecting us to foot his huge bribe to stay put.

I'm hoping some of you out there have some information that can help. One of you wrote that in South Carolina, "counties must reassess once every 5 years. By law, property re-evaluation must not exceed 15% of the original valuation. In this way the tax law favors existing residents placing more burden on new construction or resale almost assuring that your existing tax liability will be lower or at the very least not in line with your actual property value upon re-assessment." Is there a similar law in North Carolina?

How exactly does the re-evaluation process work? Who does the evaluating? An individual? A committee or panel? Are they government employees? Since all the neighbors clustered around me have increases varying from 16% to 24%, questionable increases in a depressed housing market that forecasters predict will continue for years, a flat percent increase obviously is not being applied.

Has anyone out there been through an "appeals process?" What happens?

Beyond that "provision" to appeal as an individual, can residents join together to protest, and if necessary, sue? Can groups form class actions against unreasonable increases? Is there any state agency, we can appeal to, to ask them to step in as our advocate?

Thanks for any good information or resources you can point us to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 03:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,093,118 times
First of all, when was the last assessment?

Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 PM

Here is link for appeals process for your county

http://cabarruscounty.us/Tax/docs/Ta...ERBrochure.pdf

Old 01-19-2008, 02:25 AM

Last assessed 2004, and before that in 2000, and so on; apparently NC counties can re-evaluate property every 4 years. Have been through at least four of these re-evaluations, never had an increase like this one. House is 30+ years old, and other than routine maintenance, no additions or "improvements."

Old 01-19-2008, 02:31 AM

Thanks but I already had that. I guess I was hoping someone had personally been through the appeals process and could relate their experience with it. Just trying to get some perspective on what all the options are and a handle on realistic chances of getting the increases scaled back down to where they belong.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpeech View Post
Thanks but I already had that. I guess I was hoping someone had personally been through the appeals process and could relate their experience with it. Just trying to get some perspective on what all the options are and a handle on realistic chances of getting the increases scaled back down to where they belong.
I have been through an appeals process but not in your county. There are several things to consider b/f making the decision to appeal.

First of all, what makes you certain the tax valuation/assessment on your property is inaccurate?

Secondly, what comparable properties did not increase in tax valuation/assessment?

Please do not be offended by my saying this, as it is not intended that way at all, but perhaps your property is being valued and taxed at the proper rate even tho you do not think it is.

It takes a lot of research/time to establish that your property is not being assessed fairly.

I am sure there are others that do this for a living and could give you a better, more complete answer than I . . . but for starters . . . questions such as - has the zoning changed, has the use changed, has the property around you increased dramatically in value, have improvements been made, etc. need to be answered. Is your sanctuary considered a business?

I am not able to ascertain all this and give you an answer even if you provided the info . . . just playing devil's advocate here as to the many reasons that could impact why your tax bill has gone up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte