Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:47 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Considering the changing demographics of the South as the minority population increases whilst the white/European declines, .....
What White population decrease in the South? From the US Census.
Mecklenburg County
White
2010 - 591,613
2000 - 445,250
Increase +146,363

Black
2010 - 318,036
2000 - 193,838
Increase +124,198
North Carolina
White
2010 - 7,061,059
2000 - 5,804,656
Increase +1,256,403

Black
2010 - 2,165,732
2000 - 1,737,545
Increase +428,187
The White population isn't declining in the South. Quite the opposite is true. The only places in the USA where I'm aware that this has happen is in cities like Detroit, St. Louis, most likely Chicago and other rust belt cities. Maybe you are referring to % #'s, but without an understanding of the real #'s that make them up, then it's easy to draw incorrect conclusions. It's a common mistake often exploited by politicians and agitators.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:29 AM

489 posts, read 911,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
As a person of color, not surprised by the comments toward this young man. Unfortunately Racism is still alive, especially in the south. Ever since the election of the first African-American President, its been more prevalent than ever.
Lol, what?!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:32 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
As a person of color, not surprised by the comments toward this young man. Unfortunately Racism is still alive, especially in the south. Ever since the election of the first African-American President, its been more prevalent than ever.
I recommend you spend a little time in South BOSTON and a few other northern cities. Ever been to New York City? It's not so much the "racism" but bigotry, which you have expressed in your "especially in the south." If a person is from the south, you automatically assume that person is a "racist." After nearly six years, it's time to stop making excuses for the failures at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. It's not about the President's skin; it's about policies - or lack of policies in some cases. The President, who is not black but of mixed race, has had ample opportunities to unite the country, but if one is intellectually honest and looks at the record and analyzes the news clippings over the past six years, the President has forgotten he represents all the people. Instead, he injects himself into local issues that fan the flames of racism and bigotry, meanwhile forgetting he is no longer a community organizer in Chicago.

It was not voters "of color" who elected the President; it was many white D's and lots of R's who went with the lesser of two evils, along with the voters "of color" who voted for skin color - nothing else.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:49 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
An uncle of mine, very, very liberal college prof (kind of like the prof on Animal House) was once told in Mass, that "We just don't understand why you have such racial problems in the south. Up here, we stay on our side of town, they stay on there's."

There you have it.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:15 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
I recommend you spend a little time in South BOSTON and a few other northern cities. Ever been to New York City? It's not so much the "racism" but bigotry, which you have expressed in your "especially in the south." If a person is from the south, you automatically assume that person is a "racist." After nearly six years, it's time to stop making excuses for the failures at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. It's not about the President's skin; it's about policies - or lack of policies in some cases. The President, who is not black but of mixed race, has had ample opportunities to unite the country, but if one is intellectually honest and looks at the record and analyzes the news clippings over the past six years, the President has forgotten he represents all the people. Instead, he injects himself into local issues that fan the flames of racism and bigotry, meanwhile forgetting he is no longer a community organizer in Chicago.

It was not voters "of color" who elected the President; it was many white D's and lots of R's who went with the lesser of two evils, along with the voters "of color" who voted for skin color - nothing else.
HA!!-"Policies"...That's a great fall back.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:01 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post

The president is black.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
The president is black.
Hmm. Obama's mother was White and he was raised by a White family. More correctly he is Mulatto if such labels are necessary. In any case it only goes to show that it's often much more complicated than White & Black.

This is why I am dubious of anecdotal vague accusations of racism against an entire community. Especially when those accusations are not backed by any specifics, names, corroboration, or proof and go against any common sense.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:36 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmm. Obama's mother was White and he was raised by a White family. More correctly he is Mulatto if such labels are necessary. In any case it only goes to show that it's often much more complicated than White & Black.

This is why I am dubious of anecdotal vague accusations of racism against an entire community. Especially when those accusations are not backed by any specifics, names, corroboration, or proof and go against any common sense.
How would it go against "common sense"?

Only thing gays have in common is their choice of whom to lay with and or become romantically involved. After that everything else is pretty much up for grabs. Being African American or any other racial minority is something that cannot be hidden and at once places one into groups that fairly or not persons make judgments often on sight.

As for proof such as it tis, let your fingers do the walking and do some research on your own.

Just using the keywords "racism gay community" brings up page after page on Google

Here are a few starting points:
Justin Huang: Talking About Race in the Gay Community Shouldn't Be Such a Bitchfest

GLBTQ RACISM?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder/...d-criticism-of

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...so-racist.html

Old 07-14-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Just using the keywords "racism gay community" brings up page after page on Google
And using the terms "racism by African Americans", brings up even more pages on Google. So even though you called this research, it's rather pointless if you ask me. I won't post web links because I assume you can find them if you are really interested.

I've listed my reasons for my conclusions. If you wish to address them, I will be glad to discuss it.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:07 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Again the president is black and he identifies himself as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte