U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 04:50 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,353,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
No seriously, Charlotte has got some really bad drivers. I've seen worse in states such as New Jersey and South Carolina, but Charlotte has a few unique qualities. One example is how people don't ever wish to stop unless they are about to crash...

Example 1
Driver sees traffic-stop ahead on I-77; all lanes have stopped
Driver decides to switch lanes as if another lane will magically start moving
Driver approaches traffic-stop while doing 80 mph
Driver slams on the brakes then stops on the shoulder to avoid hitting the traffic-stop
Driver behind the first knuckle-head did the same, but crashed instead
I-77 is now shut down for 1-2 hours

Example 2 (My SUV can do ANYTHING!!!)
Driver sees traffic stop ahead
They are in their "mighty SUV" (the two-wheel drive cheap version of the real thing)
They make a U-turn on the grassy median that was rained on last night
The cheap-SUV is now stuck

Example 3 (What pedestrian?)
Driver is doing 30 mph while leaving their uptown parking deck (Nuff said....)

Example 4 (My navigation told me to turn onto this freeway on-ramp)
Driver is going south-bound on I-485 while in the north-bound lanes...

^^^Better lighting on our freeways would greatly reduce example #4, but the first 3.......

To be honest, many of Charlotte's bad driving habits aren't exactly unique to Charlotte, but they are unique to cities with high transplant populations. Quite a few "Charlotteans" are lost in their new city and many stay lost for years. My wife has been here nearly 7 years now, and any route outside of her normal daily commute usually leads to me getting a phone call from her. When it comes to geography and navigation, some folks just can't seem to do it. These are by no means "stupid" people; some folks just have a very low driver-IQ.

I have seen cars wrapped around telephone poles on 35MPH roads, cars flipped over on residential roads and I even saw an army recruiter hit a car then bust a you turn and speed off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 05:20 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,155,502 times
The worst part is the weather. I know people look at me like I am crazy, but most people have moved here from the NE. We moved here from CA. I hate the heat and humidity in the summer.

There are definitely things you cannot get in Charlotte. I miss having a Chinatown for instance. When I needed a Scandinavian venue, it couldn't be found.

Proximity to mountains and beaches is also not great.

There are just trade offs for sure. And it is all relative.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:40 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,171,219 times
Pollen!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:52 AM

5,875 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
The worst part is the weather. I know people look at me like I am crazy, but most people have moved here from the NE. We moved here from CA. I hate the heat and humidity in the summer.

There are definitely things you cannot get in Charlotte. I miss having a Chinatown for instance. When I needed a Scandinavian venue, it couldn't be found.

Proximity to mountains and beaches is also not great.

There are just trade offs for sure. And it is all relative.
Well that's definitely relative as you said. I do find it a bit odd that "proximity to mountains and beaches" is often touted as a positive for Charlotte considering they're both at least 2 hours, but parts of CA might be the only places that really have proximity to both beaches and mountains, so I guess it really is an advantage because you can take weekend trips to either. I'm not a huge mountain guy, I would probably be even happier without any mountains nearby if the beaches were a little closer.

But I see you're not complaining about the traffic :-).

The thing I dislike about Charlotte the most is the clay. Freakin' hate that stuff.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:11 AM

21,898 posts, read 27,173,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well that's definitely relative as you said. I do find it a bit odd that "proximity to mountains and beaches" is often touted as a positive for Charlotte considering they're both at least 2 hours, but parts of CA might be the only places that really have proximity to both beaches and mountains, so I guess it really is an advantage because you can take weekend trips to either. I'm not a huge mountain guy, I would probably be even happier without any mountains nearby if the beaches were a little closer.

But I see you're not complaining about the traffic :-).

The thing I dislike about Charlotte the most is the clay. Freakin' hate that stuff.
The clay? It's the same type of clay that I had in South Jersey, except all one color. Were you in the sandy area?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:38 AM

110 posts, read 104,056 times
My dislikes:

Crime
not having an area to just go wander around at ...like a boardwalk or a nice street w/ cafes & shops.
It is hard to meet new People

Otherwise...love the proximity to beaches, mountains and other cities to explore.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:24 PM
LLN

4,977 posts, read 8,724,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Example 2 (My SUV can do ANYTHING!!!)
Driver sees traffic stop ahead
They are in their "mighty SUV" (the two-wheel drive cheap version of the real thing)
They make a U-turn on the grassy median that was rained on last night
The cheap-SUV is now stuck
Perhaps my favorite driving story in Charlotte:
Was headed toward Huntersville from UNCC area, cant remember the name of the 4 late street.

Traffic backed up at a light.

Mr 4WD in front of me decides to drive on the muddy median to get ahead of the rest of us.
Truck pulls out, and starts to go through a puddle up ahead.
The entire left side (Drivers side) submerges in the "puddle," truck is at 45 degree angle
Mr 4WD comes flailing out of the passenger side door window, now pointed at the sky

I flip him off as I drive past. He looks terrified.

Life is sometimes, even in Charlotte, good!

Old 07-16-2014, 02:58 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,025,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Perhaps my favorite driving story in Charlotte:
Was headed toward Huntersville from UNCC area, cant remember the name of the 4 late street.

Traffic backed up at a light.

Mr 4WD in front of me decides to drive on the muddy median to get ahead of the rest of us.
Truck pulls out, and starts to go through a puddle up ahead.
The entire left side (Drivers side) submerges in the "puddle," truck is at 45 degree angle
Mr 4WD comes flailing out of the passenger side door window, now pointed at the sky

I flip him off as I drive past. He looks terrified.

Life is sometimes, even in Charlotte, good!
That's one of those incidents that really puts the "Car" in Karma.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:35 PM

5,875 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The clay? It's the same type of clay that I had in South Jersey, except all one color. Were you in the sandy area?
I don't think we had any clay, but then again I didn't do as much yard work as I do know. If I had a nickel for every time I cleaned up a red pawprint on the carpet...

Old 07-16-2014, 05:58 PM

21,898 posts, read 27,173,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't think we had any clay, but then again I didn't do as much yard work as I do know. If I had a nickel for every time I cleaned up a red pawprint on the carpet...
Ahhh. . . Gotcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or