Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:40 PM

182 posts, read 554,223 times

Advertisements

I've only been here one month, BUT a lot of the roads are filled with potholes, and people drive to dang slow. Being from south Florida, I am used to people putting the pedal to the medal, LOL. I hate the spiders, and the giant bugs. I also hate that a lot of the roads have the same name. My last complaint is the traffic signs; they are almost non-existent. Other than that I love Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 10:27 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Sorry to stereotype, but there are tons of retired/eldery people in South Florida that drive "dang slow." People say it's dangerous to drive in Charlotte because of the mix of driving styles, I think South Florida was the worst example I've seen of that...a mixture of the people you mention that "put the petal to the medal" intermingled with old people driving under the speed limit. Throw in a bunch of 15 MPH school zones on main roads, and it's not pretty...

Old 07-28-2014, 06:02 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
Without an actual reason, there is no way to know why he hated it......was it too far from his family? Did he have a wanton girlfriend he wanted to leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Never lived here, but I remember having a conversation with a gentleman who when I asked which city he disliked the most, he pointed to Charlotte. He had a job working for different companies, and living in different cities for months on end.

Personally I can't say about it, but I would love to visit.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawson View Post
Was there a reason that he disliked it most, or a point to your comment?
Probably just stating that she was curious as to what the reasons were, too and that knowing he had lived elsewhere, it was interesting that he liked other places better.

I don't hate Charlotte, but it is not my favorite spot on the planet. That being said, there are many beautiful areas of the city and if you do your research, find the right spot to land, it can be a solid place to raise a family.

The main thing about living in ANY city is to choose a neighborhood that is going to be compatible with your lifestyle, and if you have children - that feeds into a good school, where there is parental participation and administrative accountability. If you do that, you will be surrounded with good folks who look out for each other's property (neighborhood watch) and who are interested in the same things you find important, whatever that may be, whether it is backyard BBQs w/ the neighbors or a quiet neighborhood where there is a lot of privacy.

I am not surprised that most folks get frustrated with the roads/highways. The area grew too fast to support the infrastructure and upgrades. Improvements are being made . . . we just have to work around that or deal with it as gracefully as possible -- until things are in better shape.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:14 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Worst part about living in Charlotte? The once a month CD thread about "what do you dislike most about Charlotte?"

Seriously though, I wish Charlotte natives and some leaders would put less emphasis on image/perception and just flow and grow...people talk smack about LA, NYC, etc .etc. At some point this town/city will be big enough to not give a damn about what people think about it....a true sign of maturation and peace of mind; the ability to joke about your shortcomings and laugh it off. Who cares, it's a great place to live, has four seasons, good geographical location and a solid got-damn airport with a lot of direct flights to other utopias to escape this "awful" place when necessary.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:05 PM

11 posts, read 17,061 times
Love Charlotte but a few things I would like to see:

A major league baseball team
A zoo
More retail shopping in center city

Definitely not deterrents but I think the 3 items that I mentioned would elevate the city. As stated by many in previous posts, its a balancing act and the cost of living combined with the overall lifestyle is amazing. 8 years and counting!!

Old 07-28-2014, 04:30 PM

182 posts, read 554,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Sorry to stereotype, but there are tons of retired/eldery people in South Florida that drive "dang slow." People say it's dangerous to drive in Charlotte because of the mix of driving styles, I think South Florida was the worst example I've seen of that...a mixture of the people you mention that "put the petal to the medal" intermingled with old people driving under the speed limit. Throw in a bunch of 15 MPH school zones on main roads, and it's not pretty...
I have to agree with you GoPhils, but I guess since I grew up in South Florida, I guess I drive just as crazy.[By the way Miami should be considered a separate country] I realize I have to slow down here, mainly since I don't know where I'm going sometimes. If you drive to fast you will pass right by your turn (no warning or anything).

Last edited by DiamondGirl; 07-28-2014 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Added something

Old 07-29-2014, 02:35 PM

98 posts, read 178,171 times
1. Lack of good food, most Charlotte restaurants are interchangeable. (Durham and Asheville are far superior if you are a foodie).
2. Complete lack of intellectual vibrancy (you may struggle here if you are an intellectual)
3. Lack of culture, character and eccentricity
4. Sprawl
5. Lack of good public transit
6. No charm, very generic

4 and 5 are issues that most southern cities have, so Charlotte shares that with other cities in its vicinity

Old 07-30-2014, 07:57 PM

119 posts, read 160,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco14 View Post
Hey All,

I love the city of Charlotte! The people are nice, the weather is beautiful, the culture is rich. I was recently telling a friend of mine about all of the positives of the city. She then asked what I liked LEAST about Charlotte. I really couldn't come up with much. I'm curious...What things do you dislike about the city? What do you hate?
Hate

#1 The Roads
#2 Awful drivers

Dislike

Nothing really

Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 PM

119 posts, read 160,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawson View Post
In regards to bad drivers, remember that Charlotte is very diverse and a very small percent of the drivers got their initial license and learned to drive in the area. My point, American drivers suck everywhere and Charlotte certainly is no different. They would not be as bad if not for text messaging and such distractions. I suppose the thing that I hate most is the abundance of spiders. I was once told that there are 110 species of spiders and we have 130 around here.

Okay you win! I don't know how I forgot about that. The worst thing is when you go to an outdoor restaurant and they sit you under one of those tiki umbrellas. The spiders are crawling all over the place. The restaurant owners don't bother to clean them off. Make sure you look up and look around. They are all over the railings too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte