U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 2,939 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Another northern soon to be transplant to possibly this area.
Any inside info regarding any or all of the title would be great!

I have a sister that lives in Salisbury and she is looking at different properties in surrounding towns for us because it seems Salisbury has out of control crime.

So how is the job scene in this town? School system? any to avoid? where are the "bad" areas and is there a hospital or clinic in the area?

Any tips on being as inoffensive as possible? hahaha, I'm aware of some folks having a bad impression of "Yankees"..Though I have a great great great grandfather that served in the North Carolina infantry if that counts. (Provable!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 PM

21,830 posts, read 27,084,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidred View Post
Hello all,

Another northern soon to be transplant to possibly this area.
Any inside info regarding any or all of the title would be great!

I have a sister that lives in Salisbury and she is looking at different properties in surrounding towns for us because it seems Salisbury has out of control crime.

So how is the job scene in this town? School system? any to avoid? where are the "bad" areas and is there a hospital or clinic in the area?

Any tips on being as inoffensive as possible? hahaha, I'm aware of some folks having a bad impression of "Yankees"..Though I have a great great great grandfather that served in the North Carolina infantry if that counts. (Provable!)

It might help us to help you if you tell us what kind of job you're looking for & what kind of commute you're willing to make.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:19 PM

Currently I am an international shipping coordinator responsible for LTL, Fed-Ex,UPS,DHL I am Looking in the area of logistics, dispatching, coordinating material shipment/receiving.

30 minutes commute is tolerable, closer is always better.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:56 AM

249 posts, read 369,189 times
you will probably have to commute to charlotte for work but Kannapolis is within 30 minutes of charlotte. K-Town is a blue collar town and not your typical suburb. The town is very big land wise with people spread out within the town. There are several neighborhood areas to choose from. Jackson Park, Car town, Enochville are just some of the examples. The very western side of town is very country and probably not what you are looking for.

I lived in K-town for several years and I loved it.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:00 AM

I forgot to mention the schools.
AL Brown is the high school for Kannapolis. I graduated from there and it was fine. It is very diverse, but it is a school that you get out what you put in. The elementary school I went to no longer exist so I cannot comment on the elementary schools.
There are several medical clinics in the city and the nearest hospital is across the bridge in Concord.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:34 PM

Thank you for the info!

Western area is what we are considering actually.

The prices just cannot be beat especially coming from up here and if I am not mistaken there is plenty of people out there and few to no shops..I see a bp station in the area we are looking at... Midsize reasonably priced C-store anyone? Certainly alot of room out that side of town.. That is if the folks living there want a bit more convenience or want to avoid sprawl altogether.
Not coming there to northernize anything or step on a culture.

Crime in Kannapolis? Things to do? Where do people go?

Old 07-16-2014, 04:19 AM

I am assuming that you are looking around the West C street area or there is also a BP way out in the country on Trinity Church Road.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:20 PM

We were, but now have a better lead in Mooresville very near Cornelius park..with Google mapping it sure looks decent with no homies hanging on the stoop with a 40 ounce or 5 half built cars in the front yard, (No one take that badly please, both of those are up here too!!).. it looks much more what we are seeking, good schools & near hwys & shopping.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:33 AM

28 posts, read 30,121 times
I have no idea if this helps you or not....but .....they are currently building a huge facility for Fed-ex Smartpost in Concord.
It's at the intersection of Poplar Tent Rd and International Drive. I've never seen a facility this large...just wondering if it's something you'd look into.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:56 AM

after reading the article, that building will not be ready for at least a couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or