U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:41 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,182,178 times

Advertisements

Charlotte has been identified as one of the country's most desirable metro areas for parents.

Charlotte area ranked among best places to raise children in U.S. - Charlotte Business Journal

And the people will keep coming lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:00 AM

625 posts, read 201,612 times
That link is quite deceiving.

It's not Charlotte per-se that's ranked #2, it's Fort Mill. They just count it as part of the Charlotte Metro-Area, though it's a different state and cost of living and cost of real estate.

Being in Fort Mill, I get kind of annoyed that "Charlotte" is getting the credit. We moved to Fort Mill for a reason, not Charlotte.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:11 AM

5,877 posts, read 7,716,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
That link is quite deceiving.

It's not Charlotte per-se that's ranked #2, it's Fort Mill. They just count it as part of the Charlotte Metro-Area, though it's a different state and cost of living and cost of real estate.

Being in Fort Mill, I get kind of annoyed that "Charlotte" is getting the credit. We moved to Fort Mill for a reason, not Charlotte.
And you got the opportunity to live in Fort Mill because of "Charlotte."

Old 07-15-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yes, but MANY people live in Fort Mill and work in Rock Hill and Fort Mill also has a lot of it's own industry. It's not ALL about Charlotte. As I said, the link is deceiving. Fort Mill, SC isn't a part of Charlotte, NC. I lived in NJ and we had many towns that are suburbs of NYC, doesn't mean that they are part of NYC and they shouldn't be reported as such. Same situation, different town, different state, different way of doing things.

If Charlotte wants to take credit for Fort Mill Schools maybe they should start funding them. Wait -- no thanks! I like things the way they are. We don't need CPS getting involved in FM schools.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Yes, but MANY people live in Fort Mill and work in Rock Hill and Fort Mill also has a lot of it's own industry. It's not ALL about Charlotte. As I said, the link is deceiving. Fort Mill, SC isn't a part of Charlotte, NC. I lived in NJ and we had many towns that are suburbs of NYC, doesn't mean that they are part of NYC and they shouldn't be reported as such. Same situation, different town, different state, different way of doing things.

If Charlotte wants to take credit for Fort Mill Schools maybe they should start funding them. Wait -- no thanks! I like things the way they are. We don't need CPS getting involved in FM schools.
And some of the industry in Fort Mill wouldn't be there without Charlotte. I agree the CBJ article is a bit deceiving, but Fort Mill wouldn't have made the list if it wasn't a suburb of Charlotte. The entire list is talking about the metro areas around bigger cities and it looks like they are all focusing on one good school district in that metro.

Most of northern (and central) NJ is part of the NYC metro area, just like Fort Mill is part of the Charlotte metro area. The original story is a little more clear than the CBJ article in saying it is referring to metro areas.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:41 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,068,698 times
Quote:

Why are you taking this so personally? Who cares, I'd prefer Charlotte get credit, instead of Fort Mill. You've already got bad traffic problems, and have an additional, what, 350-400 single family homes being crammed into one of the most densely populated parts of the town, and you're complaining like you want more people coming?

Old 07-15-2014, 06:50 PM

Actually I live in a pretty lightly populated area of Fort Mill. The west side of fort mill on the other side of 77 is where the mess is and where all that new construction is taking place. Not all of Fort Mill is a congested mess.
That said, I'm not the one that posted the link. Just saying that the link and the way the information is portrayed it's deceiving. For someone not familiar with the area they would think Fort Mill is part of Charlotte. Charlotte is a great city, but so is Fort Mill.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:05 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,182,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
And it gets quite irritating when a area lands a couple of jobs from the Charlotte area then say (oh we don't wanna be apart of Charlotte) traffic, over populated, blah blah blah but if it wasn't for Charlotte none of the satellite towns and cities would be where they are right now.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Actually I live in a pretty lightly populated area of Fort Mill. The west side of fort mill on the other side of 77 is where the mess is and where all that new construction is taking place. Not all of Fort Mill is a congested mess.
That said, I'm not the one that posted the link. Just saying that the link and the way the information is portrayed it's deceiving. For someone not familiar with the area they would think Fort Mill is part of Charlotte. Charlotte is a great city, but so is Fort Mill.
Fort Mill isn't a city.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:21 PM

58 posts, read 79,038 times
somehow I find it hard to trust the survey as it failed to mention Ballantyne /Marvin schools which many would agree are the best in the region
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or