U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 01:36 PM

547 posts, read 535,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West&East View Post
When the school is sued, the insurance covers the first chunk of attorney fees. The insurance may require the attorney to go back to the court and ask for an award of fees.
I'm interested to hear what the cost to date of this has been. Of course, we'll probably never know how many UCPS man hours have been lost.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:38 PM

113 posts, read 123,178 times
If the members of CAPS are serious about backing candidates for the BOE – any further pursuit of their frivolous lawsuit will be a poison pill for any candidate associated with them (as proven by the candidates they supported for BOCC). If they really want to have an impact on this election – they need to drop the lawsuit and start focusing on matters other than redistricting. IT IS DONE - we have real opportunities to focus on. I am quite honestly VERY tuned off by those candidates that are trying to suck up to CAPS with their promise to fight redistricting – again IT IS DONE (one in particular is really making me sick – while he is not in my district – I am sending in money to support his opponent just to ensure he is not elected).

Last edited by jimmyd1; 07-25-2014 at 01:51 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 02:15 PM

44,474 posts, read 17,754,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West&East View Post
When the school is sued, the insurance covers the first chunk of attorney fees. The insurance may require the attorney to go back to the court and ask for an award of fees.
Whether or not the school is covered by insurance, does not relieve the party responsible from having to pay. For example. You have a car accident that is your fault. It's your responsibility to pay for the damages you caused whether or not the victim has insurance to cover it or not.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 PM

527 posts, read 636,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If this is the reason for the requests, then I repeat again they need to find a good lawyer. The courts, universally, don't like court proceedings like discovery, being misused like this. They should be happy the school system, apparently so far, has not asked the court for compensation for the costs to provide the 100K documents already requested.

Reasonable, mature, adults would have dropped it by now.
Now you are speaking "universally" for what the courts like?

So tell me professor Waldo who exactly should compensate UCPS for following the freedom of information act? I'm thinking of making a few requests myself just because it seems to bother you so much.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:54 AM

44,474 posts, read 17,754,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Now you are speaking "universally" for what the courts like?

So tell me professor Waldo who exactly should compensate UCPS for following the freedom of information act? I'm thinking of making a few requests myself just because it seems to bother you so much.
I'm glad to school you again on this subject.

Answers to your questions:
  1. Yes
  2. You must not know "The Freedom of Information Act" only applies to the United States government, not the state government.
NC does have an Public Records law that provides many of the same provisions of the FIOA. However before you start making requests just so I will notice, you might want to read up on NC state statute
132-6.2. Provisions for copies of public records; fees.
It allows the the state agency to cover it's costs for providing these documents by assessing fees on the requester. Better get that ATM card fired up because it's going to take a lot of requests before I take notice. Maybe you will get a gold star.

This concludes today's lesson. Your homework assignment is to read the lawsuit before making any more comments about it. Anyone who did would know they didn't use FOIA to request those documents.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
I'm kind of worried that a few of them might do as threatened and try to take their kids to their old school on the first day causing an embarrassing, traumatic scene. I hope for their kids' sake that was all talk.
Yes – but a small cost if they can turn it into another media event.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:42 AM

93 posts, read 158,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd1 View Post
Yes but a small cost if they can turn it into another media event.
No amount of media attention is worth doing that to my children. You can make the argument that you're teaching your kids to fight for what they believe in but in this case, the harm to your own children is way worse than any possible outcome.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:54 PM

451 posts, read 608,524 times
Default BOE Candidate List

Here is the final list as of July 25, 12:03 PM.

Obviously we recognize some of the players but I don't know much about a few of them...

UNION COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION AT-LARGE
Leslie Boyd
Sean Maher
Dennis Rape

DISTRICT 3
Gary Sides
Richard A Yercheck

DISTRICT 4
Monica Earp Frank
Casey Carver
Melissa Merrell

DISTRICT 6
Jason Marton
Marce Savage

DISTRICT 1
Jim H. Bention, Sr.
Sharon C. Harrell

Old 07-26-2014, 05:18 PM

631 posts, read 736,674 times
Will Savage stay in the race the whole time or will she walk out right before the vote?

Old 07-26-2014, 06:04 PM

Based on posts on (United) and other sites - it appears to me that the following candidates are CAPS friendly and will be heavily influenced by them in the event they secure a place on the BOE

UNION COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION AT-LARGE
Sean Maher

DISTRICT 3
Gary Sides ⇐ think the BOCC would like this as well - not sure if he is really a CAPS supporter - or just telling them what they want to hear - but given the multiple posts on (united) and Ask the Candidate - he seems to be easily influenced

DISTRICT 4
Melissa Merrell ⇐ CAPS member - was involved in fundraising for the lawsuit we are paying for

DISTRICT 6
Marce Savage

My assumption is this will lead them to the same fate as those candidates previously supported by CAPS (with the exception of district 6 - although I getting a sense CAPS is starting to drive more and more supporters away).

After looking at the other candidates - it looks like we have some solid options (although I am not familiar with either of the opposing candidates in district 4)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte