U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 AM
 
93 posts, read 105,409 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If this is the most important thing you're concerned about - give me a budget and I'll give you a community that won't be redistricted every 2-3 years.
I didn't say it was the MOST important thing….i got a little bit of an issue when a BOE makes a broad stroke statement like this and basically discounts all other ideas other than redistricting

 
Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 AM
 
Location: The Greater Booger Branch Area
139 posts, read 108,222 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST & TEN View Post
Being fair, you don't know about your area unless you have a crystal ball….I can in no way speak for everyone, but i think there is a level of frustration that is emanating from what is seen as arbitrary decisions to take a crayon and move lines instead of exploring other options. A direct result is financial. Being fair, one BOE member in particular has gone on record saying "get used to it happening every 2-3 yrs".
True, but what I do know about my area as with all areas below the tracks and east of Monroe is that big changes any time in the near future are unlikely. Rule of thumb--if your corporate assigned relo agent thinks you are out of your mind for buying "so far from civilization" , you will probably never see a decrease in your property value.

At the risk of telling you something you've heard before, barring building new schools, moving the lines is how it has always been done. If you don't like how it is done (and I'm guessing you don't) then the remedy is at the ballot box. This county is going through tremendous growing pains and the lines will likely be moved again before new schools are built. Maybe some of you can recover your paper losses at that time. Remember you only loose money if you cash in...
 
Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 AM
 
451 posts, read 607,945 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If this is the most important thing you're concerned about - give me a budget and I'll give you a community that won't be redistricted every 2-3 years.
In Marvin, I will give you a few at different price points. Firethorn, Marvin Creek, PD, PDS, and The Reserve. That's not say MRMS/MRHS won't be crowded again in 2-3 years with the new developments going up.
 
Old 07-29-2014, 09:11 AM
 
113 posts, read 123,025 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Ummm. No. My main reason for wanting to return to NY is the school situation. We have tries both public and private. Honestly, I was more impressed with Marvin than the private school! Crazy ... the amount of money on tuition that I wasted last year. However, IMO.. the school programs we left in NY were stronger.
I can certainly understand your frustration – it sounds like you children have bounced around schools quite a bit based on your own decisions and this additional move must be hard. I think if you give the schools a chance – you may find there is more consistency across the county than you think as it relates to the quality of education. I hope everything goes well for them during the transition – I think you will find they are welcomed with open arms in the new school.
 
Old 07-29-2014, 09:16 AM
 
93 posts, read 105,409 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
True, but what I do know about my area as with all areas below the tracks and east of Monroe is that big changes any time in the near future are unlikely. Rule of thumb--if your corporate assigned relo agent thinks you are out of your mind for buying "so far from civilization" , you will probably never see a decrease in your property value.

At the risk of telling you something you've heard before, barring building new schools, moving the lines is how it has always been done. If you don't like how it is done (and I'm guessing you don't) then the remedy is at the ballot box. This county is going through tremendous growing pains and the lines will likely be moved again before new schools are built. Maybe some of you can recover your paper losses at that time. Remember you only loose money if you cash in...
So if there is no other alternative other than redistricting, then why should the ballot box matter? Unless you are stating there are other alternatives and we should vote out the ones with the "Ready, Fire, Aim" mentality?
 
Old 07-29-2014, 09:26 AM
 
397 posts, read 518,067 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Mikey... I did purchase in MR.
I don't appreciate paying for MR only to be rezoned. If I wanted Weddington or Cuthbertson, I would have purchased there.

IMO....the redistricting will not end as long as developers can use higher ranking schools to sell their new sub division for higher values then switch out once everything is sold.
I agree with you on this. But I do feel our battle is with the NC Legislature (impact fees) and not with the local BOE. The battle is with developers as well. Why isn't anyone sueing the NC House for failure to adopt impact fee standards and leaving the counties having to mop up the mess?
 
Old 07-29-2014, 09:30 AM
 
149 posts, read 475,725 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
I agree with you on this. But I do feel our battle is with the NC Legislature (impact fees) and not with the local BOE. The battle is with developers as well. Why isn't anyone sueing the NC House for failure to adopt impact fee standards and leaving the counties having to mop up the mess?
I totally agree. The anger is misplaced in my opinion. The schools are reacting to the unconstrained growth. They dont have the power to stop it, or the funding to build schools to address it. Perhaps if some of the energy currrently directed to insulting the schools and anything/anyone related to them was directed towards the towns that approve 4 homes per acre , the BOE could gain some semblance of control or ability to effectively plan.
 
Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 AM
 
451 posts, read 607,945 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST & TEN View Post
So if there is no other alternative other than redistricting, then why should the ballot box matter? Unless you are stating there are other alternatives and we should vote out the ones with the "Ready, Fire, Aim" mentality?
There are alternatives and there is a plan. You and the rest of the minions however have been to busy reading 100,000 documents. Phase 1 was redistricting which gets you 2 maybe 3 years. Phase 2 is the capital plan for the next 2 years and the $$$s from judgement get you to year 4 maybe 5. And Phase 3 is the new capital plan, CCEP, which will require a bond referendum.
 
Old 07-29-2014, 09:39 AM
 
397 posts, read 518,067 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post
I totally agree. The anger is misplaced in my opinion. The schools are reacting to the unconstrained growth. They dont have the power to stop it, or the funding to build schools to address it. Perhaps if some of the energy currrently directed to insulting the schools and anything/anyone related to them was directed towards the towns that approve 4 homes per acre , the BOE could gain some semblance of control or ability to effectively plan.
Yeah! Maybe is CAPS stood for Citizens for Acre Parcels I would join!
 
Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 AM
 
93 posts, read 105,409 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
There are alternatives and there is a plan. You and the rest of the minions however have been to busy reading 100,000 documents. Phase 1 was redistricting which gets you 2 maybe 3 years. Phase 2 is the capital plan for the next 2 years and the $$$s from judgement get you to year 4 maybe 5. And Phase 3 is the new capital plan, CCEP, which will require a bond referendum.
If your reading comprehension was up to par, you would see my post was in response to another poster who intimated perhaps there was no other way besides redistricting. So if you are going to try and insult someone, at least make an effort to make it a witty one, not something a 12 yr old would make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top