Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 08:23 PM

149 posts, read 533,334 times

Advertisements

In the past, rising seniors were grandfathered with transportation. As a result of the cry to 'save' as many kids as possible, we ended up with rising seniors with no transportation, and no other choice but to attend the new school for their senior year.

These are the kids I feel bad for.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:12 PM

398 posts, read 611,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post
In the past, rising seniors were grandfathered with transportation. As a result of the cry to 'save' as many kids as possible, we ended up with rising seniors with no transportation, and no other choice but to attend the new school for their senior year.

Agreed.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:28 PM

149 posts, read 162,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post

With all the back and forth, that was lost on me. So no HS students, seniors or more lately grandfathered lower class men, are getting transport? Wow.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:22 PM

136 posts, read 179,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
With all the back and forth, that was lost on me. So no HS students, seniors or more lately grandfathered lower class men, are getting transport? Wow.
There are very good reasons for gfathering rising seniors: school pride/spirit argument aside, upperclassmen have been working with counselors for years to plot a course for graduation - prereqs. and all the rest. I think it was sensible to gfather those kids (the real population bolus is coming from the middle schools anyhow). It doesn't sit well with me that the grand gesture to gfather all HS students resulted in a transportation hardship for some seniors. (are we sure that any previous grandfathering transfers included transportation?)

{Parity in the schools would eliminate many of these issues- I'd like to see a great big asterisk by the "All courses are offered at all schools according to the curriculum guide" claim*, but I'll hold that rant for another day. * - All schools have the same curriculum guide, but do not necessarily teach the same courses described in the guide}

What can be done? I assume that transfers to CATA or Early College have always involved transportation (interestingly, transfers to IB @ MR do not). I don't think it is the responsibility of the schools to do any of this, but they are in a unique position to help. I can certainly imagine big yellow shuttles from ES's to gfathered HS's in the morning, but I see no easy way to make the return trip. Contrary to all the crackpot claims about the dangers of buses, I'd rather see professionals do the driving than several hundred 16-18 yr olds. Anyone have a better idea? We're committed to this for three more years, it needs to work.

(I enjoyed the recent discussion of hiring limos to deliver gfathered kids to and from school. I'm imagining kids tipping the driver as they're dropped off at their new schools, holding their noses as they pass the dump/recycling centers).

Old 07-31-2014, 05:53 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,358,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
(I enjoyed the recent discussion of hiring limos to deliver gfathered kids to and from school. I'm imagining kids tipping the driver as they're dropped off at their new schools, holding their noses as they pass the dump/recycling centers).
Seems to me there is an extraordinary amount of coddling of kids in some of these families. When they go out into the real world on their own, it's going to be an enormous shock to them.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:15 AM

398 posts, read 611,255 times
To the best of my knowledge there is no, and has never been, transport for anyone accepting grandfathering.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:45 AM

527 posts, read 735,335 times
Yet another policy violation by our BOE, no big deal.

4-13 Administrative Guidelines
Rising 12th graders will remain at the current school assignment and transportation will be provided. Rising 5th and 8th graders will no longer be given the option to remain at the current school assignment.

I don't understand why anyone in this thread would be debating whether or not there should be sibling considerations related to grandfathering. Who are you to judge the hardship? Is it perfectly ok that neighborhoods (like Millbridge) make a case that "friends" living miles apart, in what is for all intents and purposes a different neighborhood, should stay together but two brothers sharing a bedroom shouldn't? Is it really ok that developers can petition boundary lines but parents can't petition for brothers and sisters in the same house?

Get over yourselves already.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 AM

56 posts, read 78,927 times
I am so tired of all this whining, everyone get over it and move on. Life changes, great lesson for your kids, they need to adapt and make the best of it. Its best they learn this lesson now while you can GUIDE them. Life is going to punch them in the face like it does to everyone, if all you helicopter parents continue to coddle these babies guess what? your going to have unprepared adults. Give your kids adversity and you might be surprised. Redistricting needs to happen. Its the fact, not enough seats in one school and too many empty in another. Its simple get over it.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:24 AM

156 posts, read 307,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstimetomuskup View Post
I am so tired of all this whining, everyone get over it and move on. Life changes, great lesson for your kids, they need to adapt and make the best of it. Its best they learn this lesson now while you can GUIDE them. Life is going to punch them in the face like it does to everyone, if all you helicopter parents continue to coddle these babies guess what? your going to have unprepared adults. Give your kids adversity and you might be surprised. Redistricting needs to happen. Its the fact, not enough seats in one school and too many empty in another. Its simple get over it.
I honestly can't stand this type of talk.
This is how corruption at local and state levels thrives because people throw up their hands and accept it. My guess is that you were not affected.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:28 AM

56 posts, read 78,927 times
How does this have to do with corruption? This is about coddling parents. Nothing more. Its outrageous in union county and it shows in the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte