Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 PM

451 posts, read 711,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST & TEN View Post
David, I am not a neighborhood lead, so don't ask me….then again you can easily reach them, but I am sure you don't go on FB and post, you are too comfortable in your own little world here….why don't you ask Sean about the funds, or do you have a theory about that too that you want to claim is "fact"?
I'm no David.

I'm no Saint.

Never claimed to be.

I have no problem throwing stones at CAPS or the BOE.

CAPS has gone quiet, Sean and friends act like none of this ever happened. But where did the money go?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:55 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
CAPS has gone quiet, Sean and friends act like none of this ever happened. But where did the money go?
Come on now... getting elected ain't cheap.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:01 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

Is it just me or does the boy on the left look a little young to have children?
The parents should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:29 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Come on now... getting elected ain't cheap.
Hey Mikey! I've been trying to follow this. Please tell me if I'm missing something.

The big redistricting is scheduled & the BOE said that kids who would be seniors were exempt but people pushed for all siblings to be exempt. Because of the expense of all of that busing, now the kids all have to have transportation, so now a senior who needs the bus has to go to a new school. Did I miss something or confuse something?

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-31-2014 at 10:41 PM..

Old 07-31-2014, 10:33 PM

43 posts, read 56,959 times
This has been a fun evening catching up! haha.

Are you really concerned about where the money went? This thread is starting to turn conspiracy theory - haha. Perhaps you are being sarcastic and I am just missing the tone in your posts. I don't think there is anything bad going on here. I think the candidate supported the lawsuit before he was officially a candidate. The money went to the lawyers who are laughing all the way to the bank. He may regret that now or he may not, but it was well within his rights to do that - it just may push some away from voting for him, and that just is what it is. I do not know the candidate and I will quite likely not vote for him unless as I learn about all the candidates I perceive him to be the lesser of the at-large evils as the next few months play out, but I do believe he is on the up & up.

I also do not question CAPS handling of the funds - I am sure they are dumping all the money on the lawyers. Further, now that the injunction failed I suspect from the sounds of other forums that they are looking to keep the lawyers on board for more litigation - haha. The group-think going on in other forums and the litigious, negative approach of the group's members has led the smart candidates away at a safe distance. The bullying on the other site is so discouraging. Let's keep it kind over here. The beauty of this site is the intelligent debate and the fact sharing....it is more fun when there are posters from all sides of the debate. All sides are not welcome over there...that has been made very clear. Let's remember there are more than TWO sides here - we are not either pro or anti redistricting, or even pro or anti BOE - that is so myopic. The constant antagonistic/rhetorical posts are killing me - haha. Where's the love?

C'mon - group hug?

Old 08-01-2014, 03:02 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Huge can of worms.......

The way to keep families in the same cluster, is for the family to attend the cluster they were assigned to. I'm sympathetic to the split siblings issue, but it's the families choice to do so. Not the district...
TooLogical, of course you are being too logical. I noticed this particular item has been completely ignored here but it's the solution to everyone's issue about splitting up siblings. (overblown anyway) Bonus, they get NC provided transportation too which they have already paid taxes for.

Redistricting has occurred, and the injunction to stop it defeated in the court room. As I said some time ago, and as proved here, there are some who won't accept this decision and who will continue to go on about id ad nauseum.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:39 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Hey Mikey! I've been trying to follow this. Please tell me if I'm missing something.

The big redistricting is scheduled & the BOE said that kids who would be seniors were exempt but people pushed for all siblings to be exempt. Because of the expense of all of that busing, now the kids all have to have transportation, so now a senior who needs the bus has to go to a new school. Did I miss something or confuse something?
Hi SB!!

The long and short is that the judge finally upheld the BOE and UCPS right to redistrict. It was not stopped. Which is funny considering most of us have already bought our school supplies for this year - which are hilariously different required lists for different schools in a countywide system. lol

Some ideas have been floated, but the original redistricting proposal was officially amended only twice by the BOE (amendment #1 below). The BOE also essentially gave UCPS "the power" to clean up the lines and make small adjustments as they see fit - one of the larger driver of the CAPS lawsuit was those "sekret" exceptions that UCPS administration did. Everything else is just talk.

Amendment #1 - All rising 5th grade and 8th grade students were given the option to grandfather for the next year so they can finish their existing school up to the transition. After that they have to attend their new assigned cluster. All sitting high school students were given the option to grandfather and finish their existing high school. NO siblings. NO transportation.

As you can imagine there are many possible scenarios where parents will have multiple kids in multiple directions. If you can't provide your own transportation, you can't take advantage of the grandfathering. UCPS does have an appeal and transfer process where they can request specific school assignments. They do have to provide their own transportation as you state - so they would be "stuck" if they needed the bus.

NOTE - UCPS buys the buses, but the state pays to run them as long as they stay within a specific "efficiency range". The thought was that providing transportation for so many grandfathered kids would push them out of the acceptable range.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:05 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
I stand in awe of Sunshine, Mikey and First's multiple "quotes". I still can't figure the darn thing out. Hugs Hope!!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 AM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
I stand in awe of Sunshine, Mikey and First's multiple "quotes". I still can't figure the darn thing out. Hugs Hope!!
Just another example of why Parkwood is a lower rated school.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:57 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Just another example of why Parkwood is a lower rated school.
I blame grad school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte