Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 01:11 PM

549 posts, read 670,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
Pardon me while I snipe...
I just came from Parkwood School Road, and not only is it getting widened, but completely re-paved top to bottom!! Why, it's going to look like that bright, shiny road that Cuthbertson sits on. I'm a little concerned that it might attract the wrong kind of people! Boy talk about rolling out the red carpet, I wonder when work begins on the landing strip and helipad?
I noticed that too, Booger. Kids from Parkwood have been dying on that road my whole life; but let a few Cuthbertson whiners (Before I get attacked, I'm talking about the whiners not all Cuthbertson people) get redistricted and all of a sudden it gets widened. It is sending me the message that the lives of some people's kids are more important than others in Union County or maybe it is just telling me that throwing a tantrum gets you what you want. Maybe we should change tactics. I want my kids to have textbooks for all their subjects this year. Let's call David Sentendrey.

That being said, I'm glad it is getting done.

P.S. In case you missed it, Sentendrey's expose on UC roads with a cameo from a BOE candidate--- http://www.fox5storm.com/story/25011...n-union-county

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 08-07-2014 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-07-2014, 01:24 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,419,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
I noticed that too Booger. Kids from Parkwood have been dying on that road my whole life; but let a few Cuthbertson whiners (Before I get attacked, I'm talking about the whiners not all Cuthbertson people) get redistricted and all of a sudden it gets widened. It is sending me the message that the lives of some people's kids are more important than others in Union County or maybe it is just telling me that throwing a tantrum gets you what you want. Maybe we should change tactics. I want my kids to have textbooks for all their subjects this year. Let's call David Sentendrey.

That being said, I'm glad it is getting done.
Bubba, I know that somebody posted who got sent where but I'd hate to dig for it. Did anyone go from Cuthbertson to Marvin?

Old 08-07-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Bubba, I know that somebody posted who got sent where but I'd hate to dig for it. Did anyone go from Cuthbertson to Marvin?
Very few if any. See the tiny grey area down next to Bonds Grove Church Rd.
http://fpc.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/...%20Cluster.pdf

Old 08-07-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Are you getting grief in real life or is it just online? Would I be wrong to assume that Cuthbertson is majority transplants & Parkwood is majority natives?

Old 08-07-2014, 01:51 PM

43 posts, read 56,309 times
Quote:
Quote:
I do not think there are any homes on that property, although I could be wrong (if so, maybe just a small home or two nestled back on the property?). I did notice that little gray area early on, though, and it was curious. There were certainly no neighborhoods that were moved into Marvin cluster.

Edited to add: a google maps satellite image makes it look like perhaps three homes on that property.

Last edited by hope923; 08-07-2014 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 08-07-2014, 02:14 PM

451 posts, read 703,949 times
Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Are you getting grief in real life or is it just online? Would I be wrong to assume that Cuthbertson is majority transplants & Parkwood is majority natives?
Paging Raith, Paging Raith.

Pretty sure he is part of the Parkwood Pride and is not a native.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope923 View Post
I do not think there are any homes on that property, although I could be wrong (if so, maybe just a small home or two nestled back on the property?). I did notice that little gray area early on, though, and it was curious. There were certainly no neighborhoods that were moved into Marvin cluster.

Edited to add: a google maps satellite image makes it look like perhaps three homes on that property.
Thanks I appreciate the information.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Paging Raith, Paging Raith.

Pretty sure he is part of the Parkwood Pride and is not a native.
Thanks.

It's hard to get a grip on it from the outside. I don't want to offend but I'm trying to figure it out. On the news it's - well - unseemly. It looks like adults having hissy fits, but like my mom always said there's 2 sides to every story.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate it.

That is probably fairly accurate. There are some natives at Cuthbertson and some transplants at Parkwood. The homes are older in the Parkwood area and there are fewer developments. Most transplants opt for the newer homes located in Waxhaw/Mineral Springs (the area being redistricted) subdivisions over older homes.

I think most of the people being redistricted to Parkwood are upset but probably the transplants more than the natives. After all, the natives have been to Parkwood before. I think some of this hysteria is fear of the unknown.

Most people are more tactful in real life than online. I don't think there is going to be animosity within the Parkwood community unless someone wants to change the Rebel mascot again. That always gets people worked up. I think some people in the Parkwood district welcome the influx of new students as the higher enrollment may increase academic and extracurricular offerings. I think the redistricting isn't even on the radar of most Parkwood people (though they didn't like the negative comments made last Spring).

I think the Cuthbertson folks will integrate into the Parkwood community just fine. However, I think it may take some time for the Parkwood administration and teachers to get used to the scrutiny and helicopter parenting.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:20 PM

631 posts, read 881,977 times
Quote:
Thanks.

It's hard to get a grip on it from the outside. I don't want to offend but I'm trying to figure it out. On the news it's - well - unseemly. It looks like adults having hissy fits, but like my mom always said there's 2 sides to every story.
It's a big impact on people's lives, of course. Some people are a lot further away from the school, impacts to getting to kids activities, drop/off and pick up, etc. Splitting of friends, etc. Definitely an impact and no arguing that.

The "we redistrict every 2-3 years" has mainly been due to building new schools (exception was around SV and PR areas as they tweaked lines, but CAPS didn't care about them back in the day). Note that there wasn't this much noise when those new schools opened up. Sure it was some of the same impacts to kids, friends, etc. But you didn't see this level of hysteria and most people celebrated the new school!

This one is different. It's the first time they had to adjust for the population boom without a new building. Western UC grew a ton in the past, but they got 2 new HS and MS and several ES. Now we have no funds, but continued growth and limited capacity.

Enter the madness.

Question: Come to think of it, does anyone have a count of how many kids were impacted when the new clusters opened? I bet it was higher than the 3000 moving with redistricting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte