U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 10:10 PM

527 posts, read 638,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Clearly you, First and the rest of CAPS have all the answers because the district is low performing, inefficient, and in shambles.

Who would you like the the new super to be?
Just because someone has been a bell hop for 20 years, that doesn't mean they can run a hotel. Someone that's been a nurse for 20 years can't necessarily run a hospital. A life long computer programmer can't necessarily run a a software company.

It's pretty much only in governmental and regulated companies that years of service are a measure of leadership capabilities. Why is that? Because they can hide their incompetence in taxes and customer rates. I laugh when people point out that UCPS is led by professional educators and therefore they know best when it comes to matters of policy. Sure, aren't all English teachers experts in demographics, GIS, population forecasting, and psychographics?

Seriously, I have no beef with Ellis. Maybe she was played, and to some extent I do think she was... but Webb on the other hand. He has shown his true colors.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
More conspiracies? Since nothing would stick against the main players, it's now time to move to minions? Did they own property and construction companies to make millions off the changes? I only ask because these sources brought us such great revelations in the past: The backdoor deal that never was plastered on Fox!!!! The CHS/MRHS on building size difference via google maps!!! The smoking gun we'll reveal right as soon as we get more donations!!!! The true identity of Muffy!!!! and on an on an on.....

Make no mistake, I hold the BOE to the same expectation. They lied their butts off spinning their story from Jan-Mar, making things up on the fly, and it crushed their perception and credibility. However, the conspiracy theorists have been doing the same damage to their case.
Do you remember the poster jlat? Going waaaaaay back, he was getting all kinds of information from UCPS. When others were claiming no redistricting he was 100% certain and even had a good idea of where the lines were going to be drawn. One of his predictions was that the cutoff for Cuthbertson would be Waxhaw Indian Trail Road... can anyone argue this would be the perfect place for the boundary? However, somehow the line was magically left to include Shannon Vista, which just happens to still be under construction. But, that's really not that big of a deal. Until you look a little closer and voila Saratoga Woods remains at Cuthbertson? From a transportation efficiency stand point that makes absolutely zero sense. Oh, have you driven by Newtown Elementary lately? Looks like a nice new shiny subdivision going in...... that will just happen to stay in the Cuthbertson cluster.

Can anything be proven? Maybe not, but if it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck... well, it's probably a duck.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:35 AM

22 posts, read 25,750 times
Emails don't lie. Various BOE members (and notably Collins) were lobbying for this exception and that. The big Webb man told them no. Sure looks like it was his show. Not quite sure why he had such a vested interest in winners and losers though. Time may tell. Go back and look through the old Cuthbertson docs. Sure looks like the facilities minions had that cluster put where it stands today - which is a big part of our current problems. Guarantee if they have their way we will have another cluster sandwiched in the same little chunk of paradise. So much for a "county wide" school system.

As for Ellis, she is a good super when it comes to curriculum, but I agree, that doesn't mean she should be dabbling in demographics and development concerns. Way out of her wheelhouse.

You want to see what was really going on, ask a CAPS person for the unredacted list of names related to the secret exceptions that were made by Webb and staff (totaling 200 parcels and 1000 acres). Most of the land is vacant, slated for future development, and owned by the same few people. A few people didn't just get one exception, they got multiple exceptions for multiple properties in multiple locations. Now that's good old fashioned politics!

Old 08-20-2014, 07:28 AM

547 posts, read 537,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makingitwork View Post
Nope they said "Let's right the wrongs of previous boards". And they did it at the expense of thousands of children while destroying their credibility. Not to mention they launched a very ugly east vs. west campaign and some Marvin residents vs. everyone else to divide the county. Very sad that people elected and hired to represent the well-being of our children stoop to such low levels to justify their actions
Which "wrongs of the previous boards" are you referring to? Looting Parkwood to open Cuthbertson too soon? Choosing a poor location for Cuthberston? Or something else?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Just because someone has been a bell hop for 20 years, that doesn't mean they can run a hotel. Someone that's been a nurse for 20 years can't necessarily run a hospital. A life long computer programmer can't necessarily run a a software company.

It's pretty much only in governmental and regulated companies that years of service are a measure of leadership capabilities. Why is that? Because they can hide their incompetence in taxes and customer rates. I laugh when people point out that UCPS is led by professional educators and therefore they know best when it comes to matters of policy. Sure, aren't all English teachers experts in demographics, GIS, population forecasting, and psychographics?

Seriously, I have no beef with Ellis. Maybe she was played, and to some extent I do think she was... but Webb on the other hand. He has shown his true colors.

Just this once I'm going to have to agree with WaxhawMike. Generally, I think superintendents should be someone with an MPA (Masters of Public Administration---think MBA for the public sector) with "professional educator" staff advising them. That statement is in no way meant to be criticial of the current UCPS administration. I just think that setup makes more sense.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:26 AM

Apparently, only 113 appeals were filed and some children are actually excited about attending a new school.

WBTV : Redistricting reality when Union Co. schools open Monday

UNION COUNTY, NC (WBTV) - Monday morning will be back to school in Union County. But thousands of students won't be returning to their old schools.
Some parents - still angry about the School Board's vote to move thousands of students around to alleviate what school officials called overcrowding in some schools - are having to face the reality.
Protests and court challenges didn't undo the vote.
Now, parents are dealing with the situation.
In the Wesley Oaks neighborhood - redistricting has caused dramatic changes.
"A lot of for sale signs. A lot of people are gone. A lot of people have pulled their kids out of Union County schools and gone to private schools, charter schools, home schools" said Kathy Nesbitt, who has lived in the subdivision for eight years.
The Nesbitts are trying to figure out the new school year.
"Anxious. We're excited" Kathy Nesbitt said. "We have somebody starting high school for the first time in our house so that's exciting. It's not where we would like him to be. But he's going there and he's excited. We're more nervous than excited."
The Nesbitts have three children in Union County Schools.
"I have a son in Cuthbertson High School. I have a son in Sun Valley High school and a daughter in Sun Valley Middle school" Kathy Nesbitt said.
Last year all three kids were in the same cluster. Now, they're spread out. Kathy Nesbitt is anticipating spending a lot of time driving around in her car.
"I think the schools are going to be impacted in that parents can't participate. You can't choose which kids' schools you're going to participate in over the other. You can't go to one kid's event when your other kid has an event across the county for a different school."
Union county school officials say 6300 students will be impacted by redistricting. As of August 5th, parents filed 113 appeals to keep their kids in their original schools. 37 appeals were won.
Wendy Keenan didn't appeal the changes to her family.
"I'm very okay with it. We've been redistricted before" Keenan said. "The only part I don't like is I would like my kids to go to the same school and be able to stay at the same school until they graduate."
She said her seven year old daughter will be attending Western Union, her 11 year old daughter will be entering sixth grade at Parkwood Middle School, and her 13 year old daughter will also be at Parkwood.
Keenan said "we're going to have to travel a little bit farther but as far as travel goes my children are very excited about the new school they're going to."
Taylor McIntyre was not the least bit excited about redistricting.
'At first I was really mad and I just wanted to scream and run away" the 11 year old told WBTV. "But now I'm kind of happy because most my friends got redistricted."
In the Wesley Oaks neighborhoods, where for sale signs are up and kids are no longer attending the same schools, Kathy Nesbitt said she's willing to give redistricting - her third go around - a chance.
"We're going to hope for the best. Hopefully by Christmas we'll have a good feel of how things are going - which coincidentally leads into the lottery time for all charter schools so we will be applying to everything that comes down the pike."

Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Nasty View Post
With all of the redistricting fallout, curious to know what people think as to the upcoming elections….Overhaul or Status Quo?
If you mean can CAPS/anti-redistricters take over the BOE, then no. It is mathematically impossible since only five of the nine seats are up for grabs and CAPS/anti-redistricters were not able to field candidates for all five. I also doubt their supported candidates can take all four of the races they are in.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:03 AM

24 posts, read 24,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Which "wrongs of the previous boards" are you referring to? Looting Parkwood to open Cuthbertson too soon? Choosing a poor location for Cuthberston? Or something else?
Yes to all of the above.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Apparently, only 113 appeals were filed and some children are actually excited about attending a new school.
Let's differentiate between applying for transfers, which were pretty much all denied, and going all the way through the appeals process.

There were hundreds of transfer applications. Many people gave up after being denied in the first couple of rounds.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottRosewater View Post
SALES CALLS AND DEMONSTRATIONS 2-25

No person, agent, representative or salesperson shall solicit or attempt to sell or explain any article of property or proposition to any teacher or pupil of any public school on the school grounds during the school day without having first secured the written permission and consent of the Superintendent /designee(s).
Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

Sales Representatives and Other Visitors
Visitors, including agents, representatives, and sales representatives, having the above written permission, who might call on employees or students at the school, must first obtain permission from the school’s administration.
LEGAL REF.: N.C.G.S. 14-238

So Savage cries to an AP that knows nothing of this policy section entitled "Financial Operations" to attempt to silence her opponent? Sorry, that dog just won't hunt.
I believe talking with parents is not soliciting, selling, or explaining "any article of property or propostition to any teacher or pupil...during the school day."

It appears a certain board member and spouse may not understand UCPS policy. It makes me a bit concerned that McRory appointed, based on cronyism rather than qualifications, that person to a board responsible for dictating education policy at the State level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte