U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 01:23 PM

547 posts, read 536,942 times

Advertisements

For your amusement---- Brief Summary of Facts | Citizens For Adequate Public Schools

Old 07-22-2014, 02:29 PM

136 posts, read 157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
I've never claimed that the schools/BOE have been entirely transparent or wise, but seriously...

It's amazing how CAPS produced a list of (legal) claims in their lawsuit, but utterly failed to produce 'FACTS' to back up a single one. I expect Judge Inman will be pretty clear about this. Now they've produced a list of claims for the BOE. Forgive me if I'm skeptical about any of their new 'FACTS.' In 'FACT,' the only 'FACT' I'll buy on their list is a statement of Mrs. Savage's personal interpretation of the BOE vote (the BOE vote where she didn't vote, inexplicably recusing herself by walking out: consider the source...).

WaxhawMike has a better list of gripes (and a better grasp of logic). None of his gripes made it into a lawsuit, primarily because they don't demonstrate the requisite 'harm' (see any of Waldo's posts over the last six months for a tutorial).

CAPS folks, please let the tortuous logic and conspiracy theories go. You have excellent reasons to vote for different elected representation. Please know that I won't vote with you (and neither will many outside your small conclave of envy and discontent).

Old 07-22-2014, 04:07 PM

397 posts, read 519,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The two are not equivalent.

I can guarantee you that 100% of the people will find something they don't like about the public school system. The BOE has to contend with the interests of ALL the people, local politicians, and and ever intruding and over reaching federal government. It's the nature of any public institution.

CAPS on the other hand, has decided to sue the school system for the purpose of protecting their property values. This was admitted by them in front of the judge. Since it will be the taxpayer who will pay for this if they win their claims, then the public deserves to hold them to account for what they are doing. I see nothing disingenious about this.
yes...this^^^^

Why isn't this getting any play. The FACT that the attorney for CAPS said this was about property values. The way I see it, this has cost the UC taxpayers A LOT of money and has wasted A LOT of UCPS time....for 15 or so people who are mad about their property value. Bottom line...that's what the attorney told the judge....it was about property value.

Look at the numbers....5200 redistricted. Let's say there is ....I dunno....1.3 parents per child so ~6760 "angry" parents. You would think that all that anger would have gotten TK into office but the reality is that she got 1900...less that a third came out (and I'm not even counting the animal shelter people). Looks like A LOT of parents are moving forward. Just not those with too much skin in the game.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:35 PM

451 posts, read 609,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Why isn't this getting any play. The FACT that the attorney for CAPS said this was about property values. The way I see it, this has cost the UC taxpayers A LOT of money and has wasted A LOT of UCPS time....for 15 or so people who are mad about their property value. Bottom line...that's what the attorney told the judge....it was about property value.
But this argument has never been proven. No expert witness reports, no affidavits, nothing but Internet rumors. They had months and $$$s to prove this in the litigation but they didn't. In fact, I think somebody may have picked apart CAPS real estate analysis in another thread and may have proven that Wesley Oaks values actually increased after redistricting.

Quote:
Look at the numbers....5200 redistricted. Let's say there is ....I dunno....1.3 parents per child so ~6760 "angry" parents. You would think that all that anger would have gotten TK into office but the reality is that she got 1900...less that a third came out (and I'm not even counting the animal shelter people). Looks like A LOT of parents are moving forward. Just not those with too much skin in the game.
Check the math Raith. I think 5200 (before grandfathering)/2.2 kids per household in the affected areas per McKibben~2,400 affected familiesXvoters in the household (and not all of those voters are really that angry or motivated). So we saw about 1,900 is the countywide upper limit of the CAPS vote. I didn't even bother looking at precincts this time but I assume it was like last time with the epicenter in Wesley Oaks/Chapel.

So the Saintly strategy for the fall will be to try and distance oneself from CAPS by deleting/editing comments in various places, trying to rewrite history in effect, and broaden the base. "CAPS? I have nothing to do with CAPS." In the meantime, CAPS isn't going anywhere even if they don't get the injunction. The lawsuit will continue and they will continue to selectively release information that discredits or smears their opponents. No matter who they are (not just the BOE/UCPS). No matter the cost (not just $$$s) to the community.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:47 PM

97 posts, read 98,892 times
oh good so you know the why...please tell us - it's not over crowded schools - so what is it - I was at every public mtg and spoke - they did not...just sat there..crickets....a few suggestions by Ellis that clearly weren't really being considered - so what was is enlightened one????

Old 07-22-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
So we saw about 1,900 is the countywide upper limit of the CAPS vote. I didn't even bother looking at precincts this time but I assume it was like last time with the epicenter in Wesley Oaks/Chapel.
Yes. The very fringe of the county and the wedge between 75 & 84 (i.e. Wesley Chapel).
Attached Thumbnails
Union County NC Redistricting civil discussion thread-map.jpg  

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 07-22-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcostello View Post
oh good so you know the why...please tell us - it's not over crowded schools - so what is it - I was at every public mtg and spoke - they did not...just sat there..crickets....a few suggestions by Ellis that clearly weren't really being considered - so what was is enlightened one????
?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:20 PM

397 posts, read 519,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
But this argument has never been proven. No expert witness reports, no affidavits, nothing but Internet rumors. They had months and $$$s to prove this in the litigation but they didn't. In fact, I think somebody may have picked apart CAPS real estate analysis in another thread and may have proven that Wesley Oaks values actually increased after redistricting.

Check the math Raith. I think 5200 (before grandfathering)/2.2 kids per household in the affected areas per McKibben~2,400 affected familiesXvoters in the household (and not all of those voters are really that angry or motivated). So we saw about 1,900 is the countywide upper limit of the CAPS vote. I didn't even bother looking at precincts this time but I assume it was like last time with the epicenter in Wesley Oaks/Chapel.

So the Saintly strategy for the fall will be to try and distance oneself from CAPS by deleting/editing comments in various places, trying to rewrite history in effect, and broaden the base. "CAPS? I have nothing to do with CAPS." In the meantime, CAPS isn't going anywhere even if they don't get the injunction. The lawsuit will continue and they will continue to selectively release information that discredits or smears their opponents. No matter who they are (not just the BOE/UCPS). No matter the cost (not just $$$s) to the community.
You got me. I ws trying to back into a number appreciate the 2.2 figure. Would hve never looked that up.
I think we get at the same conclusion though....its not that many and even fewer that continue to bang the drum. Like you said...CAPS isn't going away, they will find new crusades. They are doing a fine job of putting a rift in the counties "red" establiishment (Not tht that is all bad). Are there new kingmakers?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:50 AM

45,108 posts, read 17,914,816 times
Quote:
.... Like you said...CAPS isn't going away, they will find new crusades. ...
My prediction. If they lose the court case, they will wither away like a summer weed after the first frost.

IMO, their scorched earth policy doesn't sit well with the vast majority of the community and barring the court system, I don't see how they can get anything else accomplished. This takes cooperation & compromise and they haven't exactly demonstrated skills in this department.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 AM

527 posts, read 637,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This takes cooperation & compromise and they haven't exactly demonstrated skills in this department.
LOL, yeah, and the BOE is a shining example of cooperation and compromise...

Sometimes I wonder what alternative universe some of you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte