U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 AM

5,877 posts, read 7,716,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
LOL, yeah, and the BOE is a shining example of cooperation and compromise...
No but they've certainly seemed to compromise more than CAPS has with the grandfathering and Millbridge inclusion, no?

But just because people are annoyed with CAPS and the parents that only care about property values and/or making sure their kids go to schools full of upper/upper-middle class kids, doesn't mean they are staunch BOE supporters.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:33 AM

43 posts, read 46,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
My prediction. If they lose the court case, they will wither away like a summer weed after the first frost.

IMO, their scorched earth policy doesn't sit well with the vast majority of the community and barring the court system, I don't see how they can get anything else accomplished. This takes cooperation & compromise and they haven't exactly demonstrated skills in this department.
I actually disagree in part. In the long run, I think you are probably right. However, if the injunction is denied this week, I see a renewed effort to smear each & every board member (at least through election time), an inflamed sense of anger, & an unparalleled degree of straw reaching. I do believe I recall the prez at one point a good long while ago state that if the injunction failed, the lawsuit would be dropped- I think on one of the United pages, but I could be wrong. It's just hard to see that happening -it does not have that flavor to me now. I do not have a crystal ball, though.... So, we'll have to see.

Whoever stated that candidates will be smart to distance themselves from CAPS - I could not agree more. I know many redistricted families that will not vote for a candidate being pushed by CAPS (myself included). CAPS tactics during BOCC elections & in general have turned many off. It is not that people do not understand the frustration or even that they think he BOE handled this all the right way. It is the approach CAPS has taken, & the sense of entitlement accompanying it, that is aversive to so many.

If the injunction fails, my hope is much like Jimmyd, myself, & others have suggested on this &/or other threads...that CAPS can re-invent itself as a more positive, proactive group working together with the community & UCPS to make the transition for the children as easy as possible...and to cooperatively work with UCPS to make all our schools a desirable place to go.

Last edited by hope923; 07-23-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 AM

527 posts, read 636,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
No but they've certainly seemed to compromise more than CAPS has with the grandfathering and Millbridge inclusion, no?
No, not at all. They catered to a developer, how is that compromise? A developer can now build subdivisions miles apart, give them the same name, and voila they are whole. And grandfathering... please. They blew that completely and violated their own policy administrative guideline which clearly states:

Rising 12th graders will remain at the current school assignment and transportation will be provided. Rising 5th and 8th graders will no longer be given the option to remain at the current school assignment.

Why aren't you complaining about that? Why does the BOE get a pass on violating the policy they were elected to up-hold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But just because people are annoyed with CAPS and the parents that only care about property values and/or making sure their kids go to schools full of upper/upper-middle class kids, doesn't mean they are staunch BOE supporters.
Over generalize much? If you feel property values and peer networks aren't valid complaints, that's fine. But the people making those complaints are an extremely small minority. I get that they are targeted by BOE supporters because it fits the pro-redistricting agenda but by continuously attacking CAPS, lumping all parents into the same group, and blindly showing support to the BOE (despite this complete cluster) some people are proving to be very narrow minded, judgmental, and short sighted.

I look forward to the very mature and insightful "they started it" responses...

Old 07-23-2014, 10:38 AM

451 posts, read 608,647 times
Injunction Denied...

Preliminary injunction denied | The Enquirer Journal

..."Based on all evidence submitted to date, the Court finds no basis to conclude that the approval of the reassignment plan was unconstituational and/or arbitrary or capricious," the judgement read.

"The Court acknowledges the impact of the reassignment plan on Plaintiffs and their frustration with the process by which the Board of Education adopted the plan," the judgement concluded. "It appears to the undersigned that Plaintiffs' complaints 'raise questions essentially political in nature, and the remedy, if any, is at the ballot box.'"

Old 07-23-2014, 10:46 AM

93 posts, read 105,551 times
Quote:
My prediction. If they lose the court case, they will wither away like a summer weed after the first frost.

IMO, their scorched earth policy doesn't sit well with the vast majority of the community and barring the court system, I don't see how they can get anything else accomplished. This takes cooperation & compromise and they haven't exactly demonstrated skills in this department.
Out of what….110 public pleas for consideration and that countless emails they received for a "compromise", you consider the acceptance of 1…..did i say 1….yes i said 1 development an act of good faith "cooperation and compromise"?????????????????

Old 07-23-2014, 10:47 AM

44,519 posts, read 17,771,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
LOL, yeah, and the BOE is a shining example of cooperation and compromise...

Sometimes I wonder what alternative universe some of you live in.

I look forward to the very mature and insightful "they started it" responses...
But that assumes that someone here is interested in engaging in a pointless discussion over something that has already taken place and can't be changed. The vast majority on all sides have moved on.

You sound very bitter and miserable about the BOE. You should try to let it go because this is no way to live.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 AM

93 posts, read 105,551 times
Quote:
But that assumes that someone here is interested in engaging in a pointless discussion over something that has already taken place and can't be changed. The vast majority on all sides have moved on.

You sound very bitter and miserable about the BOE. You should try to let it go because this is no way to live.

Why can't it be changed? Dick was on the radio and basically said the BOE can vote to change the lines whenever they wanted….you going to dispute that too?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST & TEN View Post
Why can't it be changed? Dick was on the radio and basically said the BOE can vote to change the lines whenever they wanted….you going to dispute that too?
In Context: The past can't be changed. Hence no reason to harp on and on about it. I've always contended the BOE can change the assignments anytime they want which is why it's folly to purchase a home in UC and expect a guaranteed on seats in a particular school.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Injunction Denied...

Not really a surprise to me. Called this months ago......

http://www.city-data.com/forum/34026016-post3717.html

Old 07-23-2014, 11:16 AM

451 posts, read 608,647 times
Here is the full ruling...

https://protectucps.files.wordpress....injunction.pdf

The key phrases used throughout...

"Plaintiff has failed..."

and

"Plaintiff has not..."

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 07-23-2014 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte