Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 05:27 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,419,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST & TEN View Post
South, I can only hope for your sake that your BOE is better than the train wreck in Union County
Really, I think it is, but the builders do not have carte blanche here. There-in lies your problem for schools. The rest of your problem is lack of rateables. I'm excited that my town is getting a $450million gas fired electrical power plant on land that's being annexed into town. You might think that that's awful but that's a lot of property tax that residents won't have to pay

The BOE in my county has been eliminating administration in order to keep teachers. The early college is accessible to the whole county. That pulls a few kids out of the regular schools. The high school in my town made the US News list. It might not have been as high as yours but it's a good school with population stability.

Maybe you didn't notice, but for several years the top slot in the school ranking has been going to the early colleges-a multi-school tie. The early college in my county has been in that tie. There's a magnet school in Gastonia that's been in there too.

There are good schools all over the area & some real stinkers too. There are nice neighborhoods all over the area & some hell-holes too.

Life is too short to get so invested in a redistricting caused by builders building faster than the infrastructure can deal with it.

There isn't a cheap way to deal with your problems unless. . . Did it occur to any of the people who are 3 seconds from fisticuffs with others to go to the towns or the county if you don't live in a town, and ask to use public parks to have events so that kids being transferred to new schools can meet students who go to those schools? If it's really all about the kids why haven't I seen that in any of these threads? There's been all summer to do it & not one person suggested it. But, but, but. . . The property values are being affected.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to check the threads to see if anyone's lobbed anything at me, then stroll down to see if the right-wing crazies picketing city hall are being peaceful.

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-29-2014 at 05:51 PM..

Old 07-29-2014, 08:19 PM

149 posts, read 162,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There's no reason or excuse for posters to have been so rude to you.
Thanks Southbound. I have found that people with no legitimate argument just go with the ad hominem attack. It makes them feel more powerful than just replying, "Shut up".

Old 07-29-2014, 09:19 PM

451 posts, read 703,949 times
Quote:
If your reading comprehension was up to par, you would see my post was in response to another poster who intimated perhaps there was no other way besides redistricting. So if you are going to try and insult someone, at least make an effort to make it a witty one, not something a 12 yr old would make.
I was just trying to help you out First. Told you exactly what's going on, what the "Plan" is. No insult there.

Maybe if you weren't so busy with that passive/aggressive act, constantly asking rhetorical questions or making up new screen names you may finally get it.

For those of you new to this whole redistricting thing (I'm referring to the original thread), this classic First (Fourth, etc., etc.) and don't take any of it personally.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:15 PM

93 posts, read 125,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
I was just trying to help you out First. Told you exactly what's going on, what the "Plan" is. No insult there.

Maybe if you weren't so busy with that passive/aggressive act, constantly asking rhetorical questions or making up new screen names you may finally get it.

For those of you new to this whole redistricting thing (I'm referring to the original thread), this classic First (Fourth, etc., etc.) and don't take any of it personally.
CJ, i get the fact you like to feel important and posture that you have some inside info that there is some "grand plan"….If that amuses you, have at it. Most of us realize that redistricting IS the plan, our BOE has shown us what forward thinkers they really are….I haven't asked you any questions, so i don't know what rhetorical questions you are referring to that i posed to you. If you like to sound important by throwing out the overused term of "passive/aggressive", i guess that feeds your ego, whatever winds your watch. I have seen your opinions that you like to call "fact"….they are entertaining and good for a brief chuckle

Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 PM

398 posts, read 611,255 times
Handbags ladies! Lets keep above the fray.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:24 AM

830 posts, read 1,520,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
It definitely is criminal on Long Island but my kids won't get shuffled every 2-3 years.
Didn't your kids go to Catholic school last year anyways?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 AM

149 posts, read 162,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Didn't your kids go to Catholic school last year anyways?
Oooo. Moving LI to NC is Catholic??!! Moving, you need to study your Catechism. You have been very unkind to me on this thread, you've judged me without knowing me, and you've made those judgments lies by making them public. Probably you should go to Confession...

Old 07-30-2014, 10:16 AM

113 posts, read 148,170 times
Changing topics a bit

Curious - I have seen several conversations suggesting keeping sibling together (conversations including some of the BOE candidates). Honestly, my quick thought is that it sounds like a reasonable request. I assume someone could say if the older child felt this was important – they could opt out of the grandfathering – however – I do not like the idea of asking a rising junior or senior to change schools.

Where this may get a little interesting – what happens when the older child graduates? Do the siblings get sent back to the new school? I would assume that would be the case – but that could just prolong the adjustment period.

Example
If you had a rising 10th grader a rising 8th grader – would the rising 8th grader need to change schools as they enter 11th grade ? Or would they be able to finish at their original school.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 AM

93 posts, read 125,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd1 View Post
Changing topics a bit

Curious - I have seen several conversations suggesting keeping sibling together (conversations including some of the BOE candidates). Honestly, my quick thought is that it sounds like a reasonable request. I assume someone could say if the older child felt this was important – they could opt out of the grandfathering – however – I do not like the idea of asking a rising junior or senior to change schools.

Where this may get a little interesting – what happens when the older child graduates? Do the siblings get sent back to the new school? I would assume that would be the case – but that could just prolong the adjustment period.

Example
If you had a rising 10th grader a rising 8th grader – would the rising 8th grader need to change schools as they enter 11th grade ? Or would they be able to finish at their original school.
If once the older student graduated, then you would be telling the younger student (based on your example) to go to the "redistricted" school starting in 11th grade….i guess they could have expanded it to include "graduate from your cluster", but if a child was say in kindergarten this year, did they want to keep the child in that cluster for 11 more years?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:50 AM

113 posts, read 148,170 times
Quote:
If once the older student graduated, then you would be telling the younger student (based on your example) to go to the "redistricted" school starting in 11th grade….i guess they could have expanded it to include "graduate from your cluster", but if a child was say in kindergarten this year, did they want to keep the child in that cluster for 11 more years?
That’s where I struggle with this concept – (not saying I am against it) but where do you draw the line. I can think of several examples of families with several kids ranging from High School to Elementary School. You would need to have some kind a restriction on how many years they would be eligible for this exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte