Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 08:58 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Just another example of why Parkwood is a lower rated school.
BUT under NO circumstance is it my complete ignorance...never.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:13 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Hi SB!!

The long and short is that the judge finally upheld the BOE and UCPS right to redistrict. It was not stopped. Which is funny considering most of us have already bought our school supplies for this year - which are hilariously different required lists for different schools in a countywide system. lol

Some ideas have been floated, but the original redistricting proposal was officially amended only twice by the BOE (amendment #1 below). The BOE also essentially gave UCPS "the power" to clean up the lines and make small adjustments as they see fit - one of the larger driver of the CAPS lawsuit was those "sekret" exceptions that UCPS administration did. Everything else is just talk.

Amendment #1 - All rising 5th grade and 8th grade students were given the option to grandfather for the next year so they can finish their existing school up to the transition. After that they have to attend their new assigned cluster. All sitting high school students were given the option to grandfather and finish their existing high school. NO siblings. NO transportation.

As you can imagine there are many possible scenarios where parents will have multiple kids in multiple directions. If you can't provide your own transportation, you can't take advantage of the grandfathering. UCPS does have an appeal and transfer process where they can request specific school assignments. They do have to provide their own transportation as you state - so they would be "stuck" if they needed the bus.

NOTE - UCPS buys the buses, but the state pays to run them as long as they stay within a specific "efficiency range". The thought was that providing transportation for so many grandfathered kids would push them out of the acceptable range.
Thanks Mikey! I'm not stupid but it was just so confusing! I just don't get it. My sister & I went to different high schools & did just fine. What I really don't understand is why these people who claim to be so concerned about the kids haven't organized events for the kids all summer to meet their new classmates. This could have been a very positive experience.

Reading these threads did explain to me why I've gotten so many negative vibes from posters when I've suggested the 85/74 corridor to people who have jobs at or near the airport or uptown. It seems to me that they look down on their neighbors.

Hope your kids have a great school year!

Old 08-01-2014, 10:35 AM

93 posts, read 127,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks Mikey! I'm not stupid but it was just so confusing! I just don't get it. My sister & I went to different high schools & did just fine. What I really don't understand is why these people who claim to be so concerned about the kids haven't organized events for the kids all summer to meet their new classmates. This could have been a very positive experience.

Reading these threads did explain to me why I've gotten so many negative vibes from posters when I've suggested the 85/74 corridor to people who have jobs at or near the airport or uptown. It seems to me that they look down on their neighbors.

Hope your kids have a great school year!
there you go assuming….do you really feel the people don't want to switch schools is because they are "better" than their county neighbors?

Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST & TEN View Post
there you go assuming….do you really feel the people don't want to switch schools is because they are "better" than their county neighbors?
That's how it looks to me. On this forum we are allowed to state our opinions as long as we state that it's an opinion. I said it's my opinion. If you disagree you can explain why you have a different opinion, but it looks to me that you like to bully people. Read your post to me. Were you trying to bully me into saying no by challenging me? I said what my opinion is.

I couldn't figure out why people in Union County would tell people asking where to live when the job was in Gastonia or Kings Mountain to live in Union County because it's better. Well, these threads were full of it, only it was my school is better than yours in the same county. People think that their kids shouldn't have to go to that school because it isn't new & shiny.

I specifically asked Mikey because he & I have discussed things in the past & I think he has good judgment.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
That's how it looks to me. On this forum we are allowed to state our opinions as long as we state that it's an opinion. I said it's my opinion. If you disagree you can explain why you have a different opinion, but it looks to me that you like to bully people. Read your post to me. Were you trying to bully me into saying no by challenging me? I said what my opinion is.

I couldn't figure out why people in Union County would tell people asking where to live when the job was in Gastonia or Kings Mountain to live in Union County because it's better. Well, these threads were full of it, only it was my school is better than yours in the same county. People think that their kids shouldn't have to go to that school because it isn't new & shiny.

I specifically asked Mikey because he & I have discussed things in the past & I think he has good judgment.
So me saying to you that you are assuming something, you consider that bullying?….I personally think people don't want to move because its 2-3 times further for their child to be on a bus and in many instances the schools they are moving to are not as good academically rated as their current school. Some people may feel their property values may be affected. that is a financial reason, not a social one. So if you meant they feel that some schools are better than others, yes, i would agree with that. There is no debating that, thats a cold hard fact. Are there people out there that inherently think they are better than others? Yea, they exist….do i think its close to the majority and the main reason they don't want to switch schools, no way. I am not familiar with UC residents telling people who work in Gastonia or Kings Mountain where to live. Perhaps they are recommending UC because they like where they live. I personally like where i live, i wouldn't move to another part of UC not because i think i am inherently better than the people there, i just like where i live

Last edited by FIRST & TEN; 08-01-2014 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
So me saying to you that you are assuming something, you consider that bullying?….I personally think people don't want to move because its 3-4 times further for their child to be on a bus and in many instances the schools they are moving to are not as good academically rated as their current school. Some people may feel their property values may be affected. that is a financial reason, not a social one. So if you meant they feel that some schools are better than others, yes, i would agree with that. There is no debating that, thats a cold hard fact. Are there people out there that inherently think they are better than others? Yea, they exist….do i think its close to the majority and the main reason they don't want to switch schools, no way. I am not familiar with UC residents telling people who work in Gastonia or Kings Mountain where to live. Perhaps they are recommending UC because they like where they live. I personally like where i live, i wouldn't move to another part of UC not because i think i am inherently better than the people there, i just like where i live
This is more like it.

I stand by my opinion of how 3 very long threads came off to me. Your post to me did come off as some form of bullying in my opinion, because you didn't give a rebuttal to my opinion, just a short curt challenge, as if I was a naughty child. I've seen you do that to others & wondered why they didn't say something.

Yes, prior to the big school shuffle, posters from Union County would tell newbies with jobs in Kings Mountain, Gastonia, even the towns north of Charlotte to move to Union County because it's better and they would cite schools & no chance of redistricting. That's where the seed of my opinions comes from. The threads about redistricting & the tax increase amplified my impression which was based on posts.

If you're happy where you're at that's all that counts for you. I certainly got the impression that a lot of people are unhappy.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
This is more like it.

I stand by my opinion of how 3 very long threads came off to me. Your post to me did come off as some form of bullying in my opinion, because you didn't give a rebuttal to my opinion, just a short curt challenge, as if I was a naughty child. I've seen you do that to others & wondered why they didn't say something.

Yes, prior to the big school shuffle, posters from Union County would tell newbies with jobs in Kings Mountain, Gastonia, even the towns north of Charlotte to move to Union County because it's better and they would cite schools & no chance of redistricting. That's where the seed of my opinions comes from. The threads about redistricting & the tax increase amplified my impression which was based on posts.

If you're happy where you're at that's all that counts for you. I certainly got the impression that a lot of people are unhappy.

If you would have said sarcasm, i would agree with you, was not my intent to bully….lets be fair, there are others who throw out a "short curt challenge" in their posts

When you say these posters said UC was better, were they talking about the schools in their post or the quality of the people? Your earlier post referenced that some look down on their neighbors, which i took as elitism….were they talking about the people in UC being better than in other parts of NC or were they talking about the schools being better?

Old 08-01-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
If you would have said sarcasm, i would agree with you, was not my intent to bully….lets be fair, there are others who throw out a "short curt challenge" in their posts

When you say these posters said UC was better, were they talking about the schools in their post or the quality of the people? Your earlier post referenced that some look down on their neighbors, which i took as elitism….were they talking about the people in UC being better than in other parts of NC or were they talking about the schools being better?
My error. I wasn't clear. I've seen them say that Union County is better to live in & the schools are better.

The reality is that there's good & bad all over the area. There are good schools & bad, too. Just the same, why in the world would someone commute from Union County to Gastonia, Kings Mountain or, god-forbid, the towns north of Charlotte.

There's a place for everybody around here. Every place has at least one plus & at least one minus. I certainly hope that these problems in Union County get sorted out.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 PM

51 posts, read 74,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
See for yourself.

Neighborhood Leads | Citizens For Adequate Public Schools

https://www.booster.com/uicdlf

I'm not saying it means anything, but it "is fact."
Bubba,
Glad to see you brought that up and even with a link. Please also point out my words on that link:

"We stand UNITED to work for better solutions. We need to show "Unity in Community" for much more than just the redistrict."

My attempt to keep costs low for parents who already filed a lawsuit, was just that. And i stated from day 1 I support the right to seek an injunction and nothing more.

I stated then and I state it now - We need to work together for better solutions. For me it was never ALL about the redistrict, we need to work together to rebuild trust, better communication. To renovate our aging facilities and to make sure that every child in UC is given the same opportunities for success.

Appreciate this forum, it is good to see everyone being informative, debate the issues, yet remain civil. I wish other forums (including United) were able to do more of that. This (current) thread forum is great. We all may not agree, but we can learn how others feel and learn to benefit and work together.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:29 AM

549 posts, read 679,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMAHER View Post
Bubba,
Glad to see you brought that up and even with a link.
Sorry. Blame Vernon and First & Ten. You just need to own it. That would be your best strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernonTull View Post
Merrell - a neighborhood organizer for CAPS.
Maher - a CAPS fundraiser who supported the lawsuit (only until all was lost).
Sides - I don't know, a intellectual leader?
Quote:
So Merrill was/is a neighborhood organizer for CAPS and Maher was a fundraiser? This is fact or what you assume?

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 08-02-2014 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte