Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 06:17 AM

149 posts, read 165,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST & TEN View Post
I get that ratables is the easiest way, but if you do not attract those, you can't just throw up your hands and say "well we tried"….you have to raise the money some other way….the easiest way to do that is a tax increase, like UC is seeing now, and most likely another one in 2-3 yrs
Sorry, which is the "easiest way"? Getting ratables or raising taxes? Some other anti-redistrict/CAPs folks have said that moving kids around may be the easiest thing, but not the right thing.... are we trying to do what is right or what is easy? I'm with Southbound and some others on here. Taxes are going up this year but that is a short term answer. We just had a redistricting and that is also a short term answer. This tax and shuffle is unsustainable and we need light (or heavy) industry in this county. The folks in the bedroom communities who find this to be icky need to get over themselves. Your answer seems to be to just keep raising taxes and building new schools in close proximity to the new neighborhoods in the West and North. Well most of the citizens of the county can not afford your solution to what is largely not their problem. If you have that much money may I suggest you go take a tour of Charlotte Latin. I hear that it is lovely.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 AM

93 posts, read 127,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
Sorry, which is the "easiest way"? Getting ratables or raising taxes? Some other anti-redistrict/CAPs folks have said that moving kids around may be the easiest thing, but not the right thing.... are we trying to do what is right or what is easy? I'm with Southbound and some others on here. Taxes are going up this year but that is a short term answer. We just had a redistricting and that is also a short term answer. This tax and shuffle is unsustainable and we need light (or heavy) industry in this county. The folks in the bedroom communities who find this to be icky need to get over themselves. Your answer seems to be to just keep raising taxes and building new schools in close proximity to the new neighborhoods in the West and North. Well most of the citizens of the county can not afford your solution to what is largely not their problem. If you have that much money may I suggest you go take a tour of Charlotte Latin. I hear that it is lovely.
you want to argue for the sake of arguing….Did you see where i said that i AGREE with ratables????? I personally am in favor of bringing in commercial business to offset. I am not "in the know" but i don't see some big contract being negotiated to bring some major player into UC….I will stand by the post of the easiest way to raise $$$$ is thru taxes. I didn't claim it was the best solution. We are looking at a huge deficeit, no known major commercial business coming to UC to pump $$$$ into the economy, so what do we propose to get $$$$ into the system?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:52 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
Betty, I don't normally get into Union County threads. I saw this as a matter of blame being placed on the wrong group & bullying tactics being used to do it. I made my point & you got exactly what I was saying.

I don't know if you ever go up 321 but Lincoln County has a huge industrial park just south of the Catawba County line. Lincoln County is very rural, but they have to be getting a decent amount of money from that.

I've got better things to do than get personal attacks from strangers online. I hope that the silent majority gets together & makes a stink. Get the focus where it belongs.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:08 AM

93 posts, read 127,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Betty, I don't normally get into Union County threads. I saw this as a matter of blame being placed on the wrong group & bullying tactics being used to do it. I made my point & you got exactly what I was saying.

I don't know if you ever go up 321 but Lincoln County has a huge industrial park just south of the Catawba County line. Lincoln County is very rural, but they have to be getting a decent amount of money from that.

I've got better things to do than get personal attacks from strangers online. I hope that the silent majority gets together & makes a stink. Get the focus where it belongs.
the problem is the "silent majority" put UC in the position they are now….the silent majority aint cutting it

Old 08-04-2014, 01:59 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Dr. Mary Ellis named regional superintendent of the year

Monroe, NC—Union County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Mary Ellis has been named the 2014-15 Regional Superintendent of the Year by the Southwest Regional Education Service Alliance (SWRESA). Ellis is one of eight superintendents in North Carolina who will vie for the 2015 A. Craig Phillips North Carolina Superintendent of the Year award. Ellis will represent Region 6.

“I am very honored to receive this award,” Ellis said. “I share this recognition with my fellow superintendents, colleagues, principals, teachers and students.”

Dr. Mary Ellis began her tenure as superintendent of Union County Public Schools on July 1, 2012. Prior to being named superintendent, Dr. Ellis was deputy superintendent from 2009 – 2012 and assistant superintendent from 2005 – 2009. Dr. Ellis is a native of Union County. She attended and graduated from Piedmont High in the Union County Schools system. Dr. Ellis began her career in education as an eighth-grade language arts teacher at Sun Valley Middle School. She taught middle and high school English for 18 years before moving to an administrative role. From 1997 – 1999 she was an assistant principal at Walter Bickett Elementary. She was also an assistant principal at East Union Middle from 1999 – 2000. Dr. Ellis was named principal at Parkwood Middle in 2000 and worked there for four years. She was also the inaugural principal at Porter Ridge Middle, which opened in 2004.

Under Ellis’ leadership, the Union County Public Schools graduation rate has increased to more than 90 percent, the highest in the state for large districts. Two schools, Shiloh Elementary and Weddington Middle were named Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Excellence in 2013. In addition, the district has expanded its academic options and developed more than 20 career and technical education academies. UCPS also leads the state in dual-language programs through VIF International Education. Students are taught Spanish and Mandarin at nine schools through the SPLASH Immersion program.

Ellis continues to expand technology in UCPS. The district has earned national recognition for its 1:1 instructional technology initiative. The project began in 2008 and has increased access to technology and expanded digital learning for students in all grade levels.

“I am very proud to be superintendent of Union County Public Schools,” said Ellis. “When we all work together, we can make tremendous strides in education.”

The winner of the state superintendent’s award will be announced in November at the North Carolina School Boards Association Conference.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:12 PM

398 posts, read 618,996 times
I just need to say that the thread on Protect Union Co Public Schools re: Dr. Ellis winning Superintendent of the Year is just tacky. Bad form. It really seems to be the same people over and over again as well.

Last edited by raithfan; 08-04-2014 at 06:47 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 06:38 PM

149 posts, read 536,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
I just need to say that the thread on Protect Union Co Public Schools rer. Ellis winning Superintendent of the Year is just tacky. Bad form. It really seems to be the same people over and over again as well.
The same bitter, angry people over and over.
I think there are about 10 of them, but they sure do make alot of noise.

I can't imagine the energy it takes to be so negative and silly, month after month.

Way to go Mary Ellis!
She impresses me as a class act, has remained professional and respectful throughout this entire ordeal.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 PM

113 posts, read 150,117 times
I am really thrilled for her – Dr. Ellis has had a remarkable impact on our community. My children and thousands of other children owe her a lot.

Go UC !!!! My children are excited to start the new year and I am excited to continue my involvement our school system.

If you are part of the silent majority – keep up the great work! If you are part of the noisy few – Ice up !!!!

Old 08-05-2014, 06:00 PM

985 posts, read 1,901,734 times
So it is true that only 100 appealed the redistricting process in the first round, with only a few left over? Number seems lower than what many projected for ticked off parents trying to stay in their current school.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:13 PM

149 posts, read 536,044 times
Anyone listen to the BOE meeting?
It was very positive and informative. The BOE's concern for the kids is evident.
Mary Ellis continues to impress me. She works hard for our kids, you can hear the passion in her voice.

There was mention of including parents on advisory boards, and the addition of two new schools in the near future.

There was also a positive mention regarding the BOCC, it seems that the relationship is improving.

All in all, a nice meeting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte