Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 02:00 PM

549 posts, read 680,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Person View Post
These posts about Union County are a little scary to an outsider thinking of moving there - but I know all communities have some issues to deal with.........

Is Union County still a good place to relocate to? Are the schools over-crowded, is the infrastructure able to keep up with the population/building boom (not just schools, but roads/highways, services, etc)? Are the taxes spiraling upwards?

I'd hate to move there only to find problems, like traffic jams on the local roads everyday -- especially during the morning/evening commute.

Union County is a nice place to live; we are just going through some growing pains.

Property taxes are going up because commercial growth has not kept pace with residential growth in Union County and the property tax revenue on residential growth does not pay for the increased services that growth requires. The schools are not overcrowded, but we are nearing district capacity. Union County will need to build more schools or add capacity to existing schools. This will inevitably increase the property tax rate even more. However, property taxes will still be relatively low in comparision with what you are probably used to paying.

Due to the lack of commerical growth, high-paying jobs are not plentiful in Union County itself. It seems that most people relocating plan to work in Mecklenburg County anyway, so that may not matter for you.

We'd probably need some more details on where you would be considering living within Union County to advise you about the traffic.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:20 PM

180 posts, read 344,886 times
Thank you for the great feedback - it sounds like Union County has some catching-up to do in the planning process; maybe its time to revise their master plan to balance economic and residential growth a little better. Here that's done on the local level though........

I think we'll be looking at the western side of Union County where it seems there are lots of well rated schools (Marvin, Weddington, etc). The commute will be to the Westinghouse Blvd/S Tryon St area in Charlotte. Hopefully our housing budget would allow us to purchase a home there ($300-400K). I think we'd like to find a community that is not so much in danger of constant re-districting, if that exists.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:20 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawnewbie1 View Post
You bet. Time to let the grudge against Hillegas, Angry Dad, Waxhaw, Wesley Chapel, and the rest go. Move on. You have your redistricting, now time to be a decent guy about it.
Move On? LOL. The hypocrisy runs very deep here.

It's my guess, if these folks had prevailed in their pointless and self serving lawsuit, which BTW every non-vested lawyer asked said had no chance, the same consideration would not have happened in reverse. We'd be dealing with non-stop Falderal. We have practically had it anyway.

The conversation in this topic goes on, because it's the very people are trying to defend and/or their supporters won't give it up. This "revolution" should have died 6 months ago. It's only through the effort of people who can't accept reality that it still goes on.

My advice. Clean up your own side of the street and let the rest deal with theirs. It will go a lot easier for all concerned. i.e. Grow up, accept the findings of the court, deal with it, shut up about it and move on. I guarantee you that if you do this, you will never hear about it again.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 08-12-2014 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 05:39 AM

22 posts, read 30,125 times
Waldo, as conciliatory as always. Understand, CAPS includes angry redistricted parents who remain redistricted (and will). Time will calm them down. The BOE consists of elected public officials who have greatly affected a very specific part of the county (yet again). They won. Now it's time for them to demonstrate the decorum and class that their position demands and deserves. I don't think that posting on websites like this and inflaming tensions under anonymous handles does that. RMaria, it doesn't take a genius to realize that those posting emails that the public doesn't have and court documents and information that have yet to be made part of the public record must be BOE members. Time for EVERYONE to grow up and move on. The next redistricting is likely only 2-3 years away and we have to learn the lessons from this one.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:51 AM

NJ Person, I would take a serious look at South Mecklenburg County as opposed to Union County. Our advantages dried up to some extent with our love of school redistricting and recent tax increase (15%). We do have the best people around though (even the vocal ones here that rail against the "snowflakes"). I would personally avoid SC as it will be experiencing our growth and problems in a few short years. Strictly my opinions.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
To the two BOE members still posting here, why don't you stop the personal smear campaign and just get on with your lives and your jobs - just as you demand the evil CAPS people do (which they should). We get it already, your brilliant redistricting plan is a done deal, you win, the money in Marvin and Weddington gets whatever it wants and the rest of us just have to suck it up, again. 15% tax increases for everyone. With school starting, isn't it time to worry about the safety and education of (all of) the students again? Many of us have had enough of the fighting. It's become embarrassing. Go visit a school. Do something productive.
Quote:
You bet. Time to let the grudge against Hillegas, Angry Dad, Waxhaw, Wesley Chapel, and the rest go. Move on. You have your redistricting, now time to be a decent guy about it.
Quote:
Waldo, as conciliatory as always. Understand, CAPS includes angry redistricted parents who remain redistricted (and will). Time will calm them down. The BOE consists of elected public officials who have greatly affected a very specific part of the county (yet again). They won. Now it's time for them to demonstrate the decorum and class that their position demands and deserves. I don't think that posting on websites like this and inflaming tensions under anonymous handles does that. RMaria, it doesn't take a genius to realize that those posting emails that the public doesn't have and court documents and information that have yet to be made part of the public record must be BOE members. Time for EVERYONE to grow up and move on. The next redistricting is likely only 2-3 years away and we have to learn the lessons from this one.
You are so mistaken on many counts here. LOL

Also, I think you have confused C-D with Facebook; that's where any of CAPS' public email collection and court documents that have gotten loose originated. Better question your people.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:31 AM

No, I address the CAPS people directly. I am correctly addressing the BOE members here.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Who are the BOE members here?

Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
No, I address the CAPS people directly. I am correctly addressing the BOE members here.
If you say so...

Old 08-13-2014, 08:42 AM

149 posts, read 165,446 times
Quote:
I'm pretty certain that you are wrong, but this is all quite entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte