Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 04:05 PM

70 posts, read 142,974 times

Advertisements

They need to adopt, as their theme song, the popular tune from Disney's "Frozen" and "Let It Go," instead of forcing the school system and administrators to direct more financial and human resources to placating them (which will never happen anyway).

Old 08-14-2014, 04:08 PM

631 posts, read 881,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post

From the CAPS update:

What does this mean for CAPS going forward? After stating publicly that Redistricting would be “free”, the current Board of Education is responsible for a 15.4% county-wide tax increase and the forced reassignment of 5,800 students across Union County.
Why can't people comprehend that this increase was going to happen with or without redistricting? These charges are not a cost because of the redistrict decision. It should have happened a few years ago. Thank the BOCC for that one.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:22 PM

549 posts, read 670,400 times
Quote:
CAPS breaks radio silence today.
Lawsuit Fundraising Update
Posted by Site Admin on August 14, 2014
...After stating publicly that Redistricting would be “free”, the current Board of Education is responsible for a 15.4% county-wide tax increase and the forced reassignment of 5,800 students across Union County...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Why can't people comprehend that this increase was going to happen with or without redistricting? These charges are not a cost because of the redistrict decision. It should have happened a few years ago. Thank the BOCC for that one.
Looking at the way the statement is worded, I would speculate that she is intentionally tyring to mislead people about the cause of the 15.4% increase.
Quote:

...Despite our efforts, the Board of Education was unwilling to compromise on redistricting and they will be forced to accept the consequences of their actions. The implementation of this redistricting plan has brought to light a number of issues which the Board of Education has refused to address. It is our goal as CAPS to assist the families, students, and teachers of Union County as they bear the brunt of the Board of Education’s incompetence...
Wow. That kind of sounds like more threats---empty I am sure.
Quote:

...Watch for more information in the coming weeks as we identify areas where we can get involved and help the students and teachers in Union County that the Board of Education has chosen to ignore.
I can't wait to see what this means. Hopefully, CAPS will become a more positive organization and devote themselves to a task that benefits UCPS. I have my doubts though.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:10 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Quote:
Some just can't let it go I guess.
They just keep beating that "free" drum against the tax increase... When you're so wrong on such a simple concept (taxes were going up regardless and we all knew it), how can you believe any of their "facts"? It's mind boggling!

Old 08-14-2014, 05:11 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toological View Post
why can't people comprehend that this increase was going to happen with or without redistricting? These charges are not a cost because of the redistrict decision. It should have happened a few years ago. Thank the bocc for that one.
exactly!!!

Old 08-14-2014, 06:24 PM

149 posts, read 533,334 times
It's nice to see sparks of positivity on (United). The Sun Valley HS PTSO rep has been working hard to convey information for all the parents, and several parents have spoken out about how happy they were once they met the new school admins.

Good luck to all the kids, best wishes for a great school year!

( I've been singing that old Staples commercial for weeks now...it's the most wonderful time of the year.........!!!)

Old 08-15-2014, 06:33 AM

22 posts, read 29,646 times
Looks like many are moving on, which is great. A few will always hang onto the bad feelings. I am hopeful that the next time this can be done without generating so much public division within the county. None of this North versus South and East versus West garbage.

On a related topic, has anyone read the BOCC brief in the appeal? Looks extremely strong from a legal perspective. My guess is that the appeals court boots the case back down to the lower court to re-figure the budget number awarded, at a minimum. End result, the BOE and BOCC will likely be renegotiating those past budgets, just like they should have been doing in the first place. The only beneficiary in this whole deal has been BOE attorney Schwartz (at $500 per hour). We have to hope for a BOCC victory, as the $90mil verdict means another 15% tax increase instantly. That would put us over Mecklenburg on the tax scale.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:55 AM

549 posts, read 670,400 times
Some bedtime reading...
BOCC Brief
http://www.ncappellatecourts.org/sho...ment_id=159107

Amicus Curiae Brief by the NC Association of County Commissioners
http://www.ncappellatecourts.org/sho...ment_id=159187

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 08-15-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 02:07 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,358,326 times
Just recently there was a North Carolina General Assembly law passed that affected Wake County (Raleigh) there herein attempted to settle differences between their county BOE and county commission. Maybe that law should be extended to Union.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:04 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,419,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
They just keep beating that "free" drum against the tax increase... When you're so wrong on such a simple concept (taxes were going up regardless and we all knew it), how can you believe any of their "facts"? It's mind boggling!
Mikey, it's gonna get much worse. I read an article in the Kings Mountain Herald this afternoon. The Cleveland County BOE is livid about the budget coming out of Raleigh. They listed the indignities in the meeting that was covered in the article. The icing on the cake was requiring drivers ed & giving them $0 to pay for it.

I just hope that your BOE & superintendent are good at shuffling money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte