Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,764 times

Advertisements

Was there a ruling today?

Old 07-16-2014, 06:19 PM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
Nothing yet...

Judge to rule in Union redistricting case next week | CharlotteObserver.com

MONROE A judge in Union County will rule early next week on a parents group request to stop a controversial school redistricting plan.

Judge Lucy Inman announced her plans Wednesday afternoon following a three-hour hearing on the parents’ motion for a preliminary injunction...

And in a court filing for the hearing, Sistrunk alleged that maps for redistricting had been illegally changed to exempt prominent individuals, land developers and influential churches. He did not name anyone in those groups but claimed that at least 180 residential and commercial properties were improperly exempted from the redistricting plan.

School district attorney Richard Schwartz denied that school officials did anything improper, said the district held 16 public meetings on redistricting and scoffed at the parents claims of impropriety.

At one point, Inman said the number of public hearings for redistricting “sounds like open and honest government to me.”

...Schwartz noted that school starts in less than five weeks for most students. “The school system would be thrown into chaos at this late date” if parents succeed in stopping redistricting., he said.

Sistrunk also complained that he received more than 100,000 pages of documents from the school district just days before Wednesday’s hearing. Schwartz said every document needed to be reviewed to ensure no confidential information was divulged.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:36 AM

549 posts, read 679,468 times
This is more balanced than other coverage I've seen on the issue in the past

Battle to Stop Union Co. Redistricting in Judge's Hands | News, Weather, Sport, Entertainment, Contests - WCCB Charlotte | Local News

Old 07-17-2014, 08:42 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post

That does seem like a very fair assessment of the current situation.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:59 PM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
question about the document dump, every time the company I have worked had to hand over documents for anything they were reviewed by legal so that personal info could be "masked" like addresses etc. Also there always seemed to be certain documents that were repeats by the dozens. I can say the same about something my spouse went through here with his company)

Because I have always seen it one this way I assumed it is "more standard:" than people think it is.

Anyone else have any insight on that?

(it was run like any I have seen in my lifetime but people are saying it is not)

Old 07-17-2014, 05:16 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
^Maybe the school system had to start doing that once the first discovery documents were irresponsibly given to the media and used to as some sort of vendetta against a few individuals.

Given the venomous nature that I've observed by some, I don't blame the school system if they took their time to redact the documents.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:50 PM

549 posts, read 679,468 times
Sounds like the judge gave CAPS a smackdown.Parents argue for redistricting injunction | The Enquirer Journal

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 07-17-2014 at 06:59 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 09:25 PM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Sounds like the judge gave CAPS a smackdown.Parents argue for redistricting injunction | The Enquirer Journal
Thanks for the link. That's the most detailed article yet.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:55 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Thanks for the link. That's the most detailed article yet.
Indeed. It's the difference between reporting, and repeating gossip and hearsay. In comparison it's interesting how that not "impartial reporter" from WJZY has remained silent about the details of what happened in that court room even though he sat in there the entire time. That while his article on WJZY's website has all the complaints that CAPS has made and absolutely no counterpoint from the school system.

They need better standards at WJZY if they want to be taken seriously as a real news station. Otherwise it's just a bunch of millennials running around with video cameras with nothing relevant to say.

-----

In any case, it all comes down to what I said months ago. CAPS has to demonstrate the "harm" caused by the redistricting to the students. They have yet to answer that.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:36 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Best parts come towards the end:

Quote:
Allegations of a secret meeting were supported by all school board members attending a facilities committee meeting eariler that day, Sistrunk [the CAPS laywer] said.

“Where is the evidence that there was a facilities meeting earlier that day?” Inman [the judge] asked.

“I believe that’s a matter of public record,” Sistrunk said.

“And do you have that public record here today?” Inman said.

“No, we do not,” Sistrunk said.

Before recessing the hearing, Inman asked Sistrunk to name what harms would be done to the plaintiffs if redistricting was allowed to move forward. He said the people would have been robbed of open and honest government. Inman disagreed, citing the multiple public hearings.

“There’s an immediate impact on property values,” Sistrunk said.

“So we are talking about property values? Before you said that wasn’t a reason,” Inman said.

“Yes,” Sistrunk said.

He also cited disruption for families who might need to move. Safety is a concern for families who take advantage of the grandfathering amendment and use their own transportation to stay at former schools. And students assigned to new schools would be harmed by leaving behind friends and teachers.

Inman said she did not see those as “harms that stem from violations of the open meetings law.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte