Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 04:22 PM

58 posts, read 101,204 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I have been considering relocating from NYC to various city across the US and finally think we've nailed it down to Charlotte and we're going to visit next month for a couple of days. We looked at Houston/Austin for a while and it's just too hot and the property tax is relatively high to Charlotte.

We're 38 and 40 with no children and ready for a slower pace of life. I have been living in NYC for 25+ years and my wife has lived between Boston and NYC for about a little less than 20 years. We both understand Charlotte has it's own charm and it's a growing city.

The plan is to look for month to month rental while we find our new home, so we're going to see at least two different rental properties, Camden Sedgebrook in Huntersville and Bexley Providence by the southern part of Charlotte.

Since we spent most of our lives in the city and still crave the convenience it offers, but I suspect Charlotte is not like NYC or Boston, where majority of people do NOT live on top of each other. ... We are interested in living the area I've boxed. For easy of commute to work, although neither of us have even started looking for a job yet. LOL ... And close proximity to the airport. Would the highlighted area be considered 'safe'.?

Also, I understand sometime the trash service is not provided by the municipality and have to pay for a private service, is this the case with Charlotte?

We watch a lot of "Property Brothers" and would be interested in buying a house and do some major renovation to make it 'ours'. Our budget is 300k, including renovation.

Does anyone have recommendation as to realtor/contractor that offer the service combined, vs. us looking for the house without an estimate for the cost of renovation, then hiring a contractor and realize we bit off more than we can chew.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:16 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locochinoloco View Post
So my wife and I have been considering relocating from NYC to various city across the US and finally think we've nailed it down to Charlotte and we're going to visit next month for a couple of days. We looked at Houston/Austin for a while and it's just too hot and the property tax is relatively high to Charlotte.

We're 38 and 40 with no children and ready for a slower pace of life. I have been living in NYC for 25+ years and my wife has lived between Boston and NYC for about a little less than 20 years. We both understand Charlotte has it's own charm and it's a growing city.

The plan is to look for month to month rental while we find our new home, so we're going to see at least two different rental properties, Camden Sedgebrook in Huntersville and Bexley Providence by the southern part of Charlotte.

Since we spent most of our lives in the city and still crave the convenience it offers, but I suspect Charlotte is not like NYC or Boston, where majority of people do NOT live on top of each other. ... We are interested in living the area I've boxed. For easy of commute to work, although neither of us have even started looking for a job yet. LOL ... And close proximity to the airport. Would the highlighted area be considered 'safe'.?

Also, I understand sometime the trash service is not provided by the municipality and have to pay for a private service, is this the case with Charlotte?

We watch a lot of "Property Brothers" and would be interested in buying a house and do some major renovation to make it 'ours'. Our budget is 300k, including renovation.

Does anyone have recommendation as to realtor/contractor that offer the service combined, vs. us looking for the house without an estimate for the cost of renovation, then hiring a contractor and realize we bit off more than we can chew.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
We generally don't recommend serious house hunting before having a clue where you'll be working, but looking won't hurt.

West Charlotte isn't normally recommended, however the airport is there.

What types of jobs do you anticipate looking for? We may be able to steer you in a direction. you might want to exted your looking into Gaston County as that would still keep you in proximity to the airport, but a lot would depend on job sites.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:18 AM

Well... good to know that West Charlotte isn't normally recommended.

Honestly, we just started our search. There is just so much information to dig through.

My title is Senior Software Test Engineer and build automation frameworks to test software. I also have financial background as well, was Series 7/63/9/10 and 4 licensed. I'm going to try and see if I can work remote for my current employer but if not I've been looking around Charlotte and it seems like I shouldn't have a problem landing a job.

I guess during peak hours, it doesn't matter if its I-485/85 or I-77 going into Charlotte, am I correct? Also, based on reading and what your reply, I guess not all employers will be in Charlotte business district/area?

Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Well... good to know that West Charlotte isn't normally recommended.

Honestly, we just started our search. There is just so much information to dig through.

My title is Senior Software Test Engineer and build automation frameworks to test software. I also have financial background as well, was Series 7/63/9/10 and 4 licensed. I'm going to try and see if I can work remote for my current employer but if not I've been looking around Charlotte and it seems like I shouldn't have a problem landing a job.

I guess during peak hours, it doesn't matter if its I-485/85 or I-77 going into Charlotte, am I correct? Also, based on reading and what your reply, I guess not all employers will be in Charlotte business district/area?
74, coming from the west, isn't bad at all most days.

Lowes corporate headquarters is located in Mooresville. There is the Apple datacenter in Maiden. There are datacenters in Kings Mountain, which includes a huge AT&T data center. Facebook has datacenters in Forest City, but that's pretty far out (beyond commuting from anywhere in Charlotte)

Old 07-17-2014, 08:40 AM

My job doesn't involve working in datacenters though.... at least I got a piece of the information that I was looking for... 'avoid west charlotte from business district to airport.' ... lol

Another forum member actually pointed me to an Exclusive Buyer Agent, whom has great ratings... I will give them a shot.

Thanks for the tips!!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
My job doesn't involve working in datacenters though.... at least I got a piece of the information that I was looking for... 'avoid west charlotte from business district to airport.' ... lol

Another forum member actually pointed me to an Exclusive Buyer Agent, whom has great ratings... I will give them a shot.

Thanks for the tips!!
You're welcome.

I mentioned 3 datacenters by name because 2 have been enlarged & the AT&T facility will employ 100, so I thought that they might be worth looking into. Sorry to have made a wrong assumption.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:49 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,219 times
The west side doesn't get many accolades on here, but it's an easier commute than the other sides. I moved to north-central Gaston county last month, the morning drive isn't bad at all, despite the scare stories I heard about 85. Evening is more of a push though... traffic seems to peak together more as people want to head home and have dinner with their families.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
The west side doesn't get many accolades on here, but it's an easier commute than the other sides. I moved to north-central Gaston county last month, the morning drive isn't bad at all, despite the scare stories I heard about 85. Evening is more of a push though... traffic seems to peak together more as people want to head home and have dinner with their families.
The op has another thread & indicated that he wants an apartment. The apartments in the old high school at Garrison & York are probably what he wants but I don't see a point if he wants to stay in Charlotte. I'm not going to waste my time shooting out potential employers.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:57 PM

southbound_295 ... I didn't mean to be ungrateful... LOL .. sorry if it came out the wrong way... my apologizes!

I'm just fishing for information so I can be productive during my 2.5 days stay at Charlotte.

From what everyone is saying, employers are all over the map and not restricted to 'downtown' .... so I guess job search should take priority, then rental and purchase after the dust settles. I was assuming most companies would be in 'downtown' like NYC.

We are also considering purchase and rental until we're ready to move to Charlotte as well... just a lot of information that needs to be sorted out.

Thanks again for any input!

Last edited by locochinoloco; 07-17-2014 at 01:13 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 02:03 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:

If you live inside the city limits of Charlotte, you will receive city provided trash & recycling service. It's all roll out now if you own a house. It's the same for the other 6 towns within Mecklenburg county. You can also use the county recycling centers. (they sell mulch and compost there too)

If you find a place that is actually only in the county, then yes, you will have to pay a private contractor. There really are not many places like this left in Mecklenburg.

Regarding your work, IBM once had a considerable research & development lab here but not so much now. Still, it might be worth checking with them. They do work specific to the finance industry. Microsoft has its largest development center in the Eastern USA here in CLT. Wachovia has a large (several 1000) IT development center North of the city. TIAA Cref is another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte