U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:05 AM

90 posts, read 121,723 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my family and I are visiting Charlotte in a couple of weeks time. We have an 8 year old daughter and would like some recommendations on must see places/things to do. We are staying in the University Center area as we didn't want to be too central, but will have a car. We will be there for a week.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 11:22 AM

21,804 posts, read 27,061,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishGirl View Post
Hi everyone, my family and I are visiting Charlotte in a couple of weeks time. We have an 8 year old daughter and would like some recommendations on must see places/things to do. We are staying in the University Center area as we didn't want to be too central, but will have a car. We will be there for a week.
Thanks in advance.
What are your interests?

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-19-2014 at 11:35 AM..

Old 07-19-2014, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the replies. We are open to anything really, being from the UK we are fascinated by American history and politics, love to explore both small towns and cities as well as visiting parks for our daughter.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishGirl View Post
Thanks for the replies. We are open to anything really, being from the UK we are fascinated by American history and politics, love to explore both small towns and cities as well as visiting parks for our daughter.
Kings Mountain battlefield & Cowpens battlefield are both maintained by the national park system. Both sites show movies related to the battle.

Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden might be of interest.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:05 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,732,653 times
I recommend this place - not too far from the University area:
Welcome to Tiger World in Rockwell, NC

Also, as people have mentioned: Discovery Place along with a stroll down Tryon Street to see the city center. And if you like amusement park rides: Carowinds.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiSaulGoldberg View Post
Are you coming for work or visiting relatives?

Someone from Europe would not like Charlotte. There are no cultural attractions, and there is no history. It's basically one street (Tryon) with a handful of 25-50 story offices towers dating from the 1980s onward. English market and university towns (eg., Oxford, Cambridge, Canterbury, Winchester, etc.) are DRAMATICALLY more vibrant. I suggest a day in Charlotte to see it and then drive to Charleston, SC for a few days and then go to Savannah, Ga for a day or two.

You will be very disappointed with Charlotte. It's a nice, easy, cheap place to live, but anyone with a modicum of sophistication will be very bored as a visitor.
You're welcome to your opinion. Perhaps you didn't notice that the op asked about the area, not just the city. I think that 2 Revolutionary War battlefields qualify as history. if you don't think so, that's up to you.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:56 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,742,313 times
I recently bought a new home and started meeting my neighbors. My next door neighbors are a young couple from England. They adore Charlotte and everything it has to offer. A city doesn't have to be steeped in centuries old history to be exciting, interesting and fun. Charlotte is a happy compromise for many people. And for many others, it is not. I still can't fathom why "culture" and "history" seem to be so important to certain people. Once you've seen them, that's it. Then what? To me, those are the cities I like to visit, not live. Charlotte is a nice city to live (and visit) and it's continued building boom keeps us wondering what's next. Charlotte is building it's history now, and for many people, it's fun just being a part of it.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:36 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,742,313 times
Building boom doesn't always equate to buildings. It's any type of construction. But Charlotte's building boom has been ongoing since the mid-80's with few periods of rest. Even the largest cities started small.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:26 AM

Many thanks for the responses. We are travelling to the States on holiday as we have done for the last 15 years. This will be our second trip to NC as we loved it so much the first time when we visited Raleigh. We are travelling all over for this trip so Charlotte is just one stop on the way, which is why I wanted to know of some must see places in the area. We have been to 26 states in the USA during our travels and just love to visit new cities and meet new people. We are constantly amazed at how diverse the US is from state to state and love the exploring process. We've also travelled all over Europe and although the culture is obviously different, I don't see how this means we won't enjoy Charlotte.
To the poster who suggested Tiger World, thanks a lot. My daughter will love it, so I will research further.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:42 AM

650 posts, read 509,134 times
Whitewater center is great...they have tamer family rides and the ziplines are awesome

90 minutes south is an awesome zoo called Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, SC

Discovery Place is a great science museum

Crowder's Mountain is a great hike to the top...not too strenuous but a great view

Reed Gold Mine is a quick stop

THose are just a few off the top of my head
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or