Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:53 PM

285 posts, read 1,072,086 times

Advertisements

I didn't know we had those giant wasp or hornet. I am not sure which of the two but it was very very very large. I was walking to my mailbox under a row of trees when something dropped in front of me. I looked down and at my feet was the giant wasp grappling an aphid. (I think, green with wings) The wasp finally got a grip on it and flew off with the aphid. The aphid was full sized too but the wasp was easily twice its size and thick as my thumb.

Almost reminded me of those Japanese green hornet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 02:25 PM

92 posts, read 297,518 times
sounds scary, but I'm having a very funny visual of a wasp flying off with a kitten. ihope the issue is solved before things get worse. that's a sting I wouldn't want my worst enemy to experience.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:45 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,762 times
^^ LOL maybe we should lobby CMPD to use these in crime control. I would love to see some thug carried away in the sunset by a huge hornet.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:49 PM

277 posts, read 661,205 times
Cicada killer.....
Attached Thumbnails
Giant hornet or wasp-cicada-killer.jpg  

Old 07-20-2008, 05:10 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
I love cicadas, I use to catch them all the them, they had molts on the bark of our tree as well... very colorful... I never saw them attack anything before, I caught hundreds of them and put them in jars (unfortunately they all died like the millions of other bugs I collected during adolescence)... I like the sound they make at dusk... it reminds me of country life...

Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
Yes, 'cicada killer bees'.
Even though they are very large, I have never seen them be aggressive towards humans or dogs/cats.
They burrow in the ground and take the cicada inside for food storage. You will notice small mounds of dirt beside your driveway or in your yard.
The entry hole is about .75" in diameter.

My neighbors and I have them alternating years (we joke that we send them back and forth).
Neither Orkin nor Terminix have anything that will treat them.
I use the tennis racket approach (killed 10 or so today), you should see my backhand!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:14 PM

367 posts, read 1,029,295 times
Unless your a Cicada, you should have nothing to fear

Old 07-20-2008, 06:44 PM

285 posts, read 1,072,086 times
Whew, this forum is awesome. I wasn't terrified but just anxious, I can only imagine if it had fallen on my head. Then I would have been terrified!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 PM

279 posts, read 1,085,975 times
Default Mullman, you answered my question! :)

Now I know what this thing is, but how do you get rid of the cicada killer "nest" on your lawn? I don't like it.

I discovered the mound on my front lawn this evening while watering flowers -they constructed it right up against my concrete front step. I sprayed w/ the hose to see if it was a fire ant hill, and 2 big waspy things (I guess the cicada killers) flew out of it.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:44 PM

873 posts, read 1,804,104 times
You're nearly right - they're cicada killer WASPS. The males can't sting and the females usually won't unless you step on them, etc. I have treated several yards this year for them and it's usually a yearly occurrence. They're not hard to control with the know-how!! (As for Orkin and Terminix, they're better at marketing than they are at pest control!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Yes, 'cicada killer bees'.
Even though they are very large, I have never seen them be aggressive towards humans or dogs/cats.
They burrow in the ground and take the cicada inside for food storage. You will notice small mounds of dirt beside your driveway or in your yard.
The entry hole is about .75" in diameter.

My neighbors and I have them alternating years (we joke that we send them back and forth).
Neither Orkin nor Terminix have anything that will treat them.
I use the tennis racket approach (killed 10 or so today), you should see my backhand!

Last edited by bugguy; 07-14-2009 at 07:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte