U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 10:20 AM

23 posts, read 30,625 times

Advertisements

Hi,
my husband works at McGuire and we are planning to permanently relocate from our home outside Atlanta. We'd like a nice area with appreciating home values and 1-5 acres of land. I don't care for newer subdivisions with HOA. We really like east Lincoln County, though south Catawba or west Carburrus might work.
Ideally we'd spend about $250,000.

I'm confused about the housing mix I'm seeing. We're not used to seeing manufactured homes except in a "trailer park" until you get into very rural Georgia. Here, other than the subdivisions, there are homes on the main roads and lots of dead end streets off them, or a community of dead end streets. And you will see single-wides, double-wides, small older homes and larger very nice homes, all mixed in together. Frequently at the end of the dead-end streets, there's one or several very large lots with $350,000+ home, many with horse barns etc. I'm guessing that these little communities with dead end streets were farms that got cut up and got built up around the seller's/families bigger new homes.

I'm not "class-ist", but my husband is and very concerned about buying a home that won't appreciate. Will the manufactured homes get torn down for nice homes? Have you seen this happen in developing areas around there? Or is this just the way it is because the counties didn't restrict manufactured homes? Are you used to it? Does it bring down the appreciation value of the nicer homes to be near the more modest homes?

I hope you folks can share your opinions and experiences. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 11:13 AM

199 posts, read 205,783 times
I'm not an expert but remembering back to when I took a State and Local government class in college, the zoning in the rural counties in NC is kind of a crapshoot. Essentially if you own a piece of land you can do what you want with it, which is why you'll occasionally see single wides next to really nice homes. In my travels around the South I believe it is like this in most of the rural areas. The closer you get to the suburbs and the cities (in this case Charlotte) the zoning becomes stricter and more enforced. Unfortunately for y'all, it'll be tough to find the acreage your looking for without having to get out into the country a bit.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 AM

21,994 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensousth View Post
Hi,
my husband works at McGuire and we are planning to permanently relocate from our home outside Atlanta. We'd like a nice area with appreciating home values and 1-5 acres of land. I don't care for newer subdivisions with HOA. We really like east Lincoln County, though south Catawba or west Carburrus might work.
Ideally we'd spend about $250,000.

I'm confused about the housing mix I'm seeing. We're not used to seeing manufactured homes except in a "trailer park" until you get into very rural Georgia. Here, other than the subdivisions, there are homes on the main roads and lots of dead end streets off them, or a community of dead end streets. And you will see single-wides, double-wides, small older homes and larger very nice homes, all mixed in together. Frequently at the end of the dead-end streets, there's one or several very large lots with $350,000+ home, many with horse barns etc. I'm guessing that these little communities with dead end streets were farms that got cut up and got built up around the seller's/families bigger new homes.

I'm not "class-ist", but my husband is and very concerned about buying a home that won't appreciate. Will the manufactured homes get torn down for nice homes? Have you seen this happen in developing areas around there? Or is this just the way it is because the counties didn't restrict manufactured homes? Are you used to it? Does it bring down the appreciation value of the nicer homes to be near the more modest homes?

I hope you folks can share your opinions and experiences. thanks
I don't live in Denver. I live in Kings Mountain. I can give you some information.

I am aware that if an incorporated municipality annexes land that includes trailers &/or manufactured homes, even if the municipality has zoning that forbids them they are grandfathered in.

Denver is unincorporated.

Maybe you could look at Mt Holly, Maiden, or Newton.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 PM

5,896 posts, read 7,750,004 times
What you describe is fairly common here. If there are many other people out there like your husband, I guess that might not help the values...

But I wouldn't count on the mobile homes getting torn down. A lot of them will probably be passed on to families and such.

Your best bet might be an older, more established neighborhood although that will still likely have an HOA. Still, HOA's are very common here as well--the costs and strictness of them can vary greatly. To be honest you might want an HOA if your biggest concern is maintaining/increasing property values. But you may also be able to find a small neighborhood of just a couple streets without an HOA. But $250K isn't really going to get you a "large very nice" home on 1-5 acres anyway (although you didn't specifically say that's what kind of home you wanted).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte