U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 04:37 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,101,972 times

Advertisements

I know, odd questions floating around in my head right now, but growing up in Australia, keeping dry goods in original packaging (opened or otherwise) tended to be an invitation for roaches, ants and miscellaneous other creepy crawlies. Since moving to the US and living "up north," I've gotten spoiled with pretty much never having to worry about food storage except for the freshness factor.

Now that we're going to be moving back to warmer climes in the Charlotte area, I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have to go back to being diligent about "air tight" storage for all (and not just some) of my dry goods. I cook and bake a lot so I keep a pretty well stocked pantry at all times!

Sooooo, how do people generally store their pantry items here? Is the high humidity a factor as much as the potential for critter invasion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 04:55 PM

4,211 posts, read 12,559,732 times
I didn't find storing pantry items in original packaging a problem at all regarding critters and humidity. With the latter, some crispy things would "wilt" faster, but if I kept them tightly closed (with clips, etc.), that reduced the problem. I actually had more problems with moths in flour up north than down in the south.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 PM

471 posts, read 880,978 times
We try to avoid using pesticides in our house, so there was the occasional problem with ants, especially in summer. Gallon-sized "Ziploc bags" is the answer. We also use plastic storage containers.

Humidity isn't a problem because of air-conditioning. Yes - You will need A/C during the humid months!

Old 07-22-2014, 06:37 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,101,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
We try to avoid using pesticides in our house, so there was the occasional problem with ants, especially in summer. Gallon-sized "Ziploc bags" is the answer. We also use plastic storage containers.

Humidity isn't a problem because of air-conditioning. Yes - You will need A/C during the humid months!
Heh, I've lived in the tropics without air conditioning, and I see no reason to suffer like that again! I'll be using my a/c.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,384,084 times
In my experience, any kind of food that isn't in some kind of sealed package (original package, Ziploc bag, or plastic container) attracts weevils. I don't know why, but it did. I had to throw out a lot of cereal and dog food once I discovered this.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:31 AM

32 posts, read 39,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
In my experience, any kind of food that isn't in some kind of sealed package (original package, Ziploc bag, or plastic container) attracts weevils. I don't know why, but it did. I had to throw out a lot of cereal and dog food once I discovered this.

Even if it is seeled you will get the weevils. The eggs are already present in the product.

The key to them not hatching is, when you first get home from the supermarket, put all "flour" type items in the freezer for 48-72 hours. This will kill the eggs.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:12 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times
I keep coffee grounds and beans in the freezer til needed. I do this to keep them fresh more than b/c of concern with bugs.

I use clips on all bags of snacks such as chips. Again, I do this to keep the product crispy rather than concern about bugs.

I put all cereal products in containers. I have a set of Tupperware that I use for this. Same for flour, rice, grits, pecans, etc. I do that to keep things fresh but also to make sure there is no problem with bugs!

I have never had an issue with bugs/insects in this house other than when we moved in and I believe that folks were right - those bugs came in with the moving boxes (furniture had been in storage for two months).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte